Votes: 32 65.3%
  • Peyton

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Clausen

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters

orangeblooded16

Vol Fan Enthusiast
I'm sitting here thinking about how good Hendon Hooker was in 2022 and how fun that team was to watch. So just as a little reminder of how good Hooker was, I want to compare Hooker's senior season with the senior seasons of 2 other Tennessee greats: Peyton Manning and Casey Clausen.

Below are Hooker's 2022 stats with their ranking in the SEC in bold:

Comp Percentage: 69.6% (1)
Passing Yards: 3,135 (4)
Passing Yards Per Attempt: 9.5 (1 in SEC and NCAA)
Adjusted Passing Yards Per Attempt: 10.9 (1 in SEC and NCAA)
Passing TDs: 27 (3)
INTs: 3 (1 in SEC and NCAA, not counting the Air Force QB)
Passing Efficiency Rating: 175.5 (1)
Total Yards: 3,565 (5)
Total TD Responsible For: 32 (5)
Total Yards Per Play: 8.2 (2)

Keep in mind, this was in just 11 games against 6 AP Top 25 teams. If he had played 13, 14, or even 15 games, his total yardage numbers would have been through the roof. Using his yards per game number, he would've totaled almost 4,000 passing yards had he had played 14 games. His efficiency is something Tennessee has never seen before; and his career efficiency rating is 10th all time in college football, behind some legends of the game. Yes, there is the argument that he benefited from the beautiful scheme of Josh Heupel's offense, but we've seen it takes a special QB to make that offense flourish if the uber talented Joe Milton couldn't do it.

Now here are Peyton's stats from his 1997 Heisman season (Bump Charles Woodson) with their ranking in the SEC in bold:

Comp Percentage: 60.2 (5)
Passing Yards: 3,819 (2)
Passing Yards Per Attempt: 8 (3)
Adjusted Passing Yards Per Attempt: 8.5 (2)
Passing TDs: 36 (2)
INTs: 11 (6)
Passing Efficiency Rating: 147.7 (2)
Total Yards: 3,789 (1 in SEC and 2 in NCAA)
Total TD Responsible For: 39 (2)
Total Yards Per Play: 7.2 (1)

Peyton's stats came in just 12 games against 5 AP Top 25 opponents. All of his numbers are extremely impressive, but it puts in perspective even more just how good Hooker's 2022 season was. I understand Peyton's offense wasn't the up-tempo style designed to get receivers open looks generating multiple big time plays per game meaning his yards per attempt numbers would be less than Hooker, but that doesn't take away the fact that Peyton still put up big time stats. Peyton also put up these numbers with Jamal Lewis rushing for 1300 yards, as neither of the other 2 QBs had a RB with more than 900 yards on the ground.

Finally, here are Casey Clausen's stats from his 2003 season with their ranking in the SEC in bold:

Comp Percentage: 56.6% (9)
Passing Yards: 2,968 (3)
Passing Yards Per Attempt: 7.2 (7)
Adjusted Passing Yards Per Attempt: 7.5 (4)
INTs: 9 (8)
Passing Efficiency Rating: 134.3 (4)
Total Yards: 2,923 (3)
Total TD Responsible For: 29 (2)

Casey's season is definitely 3rd with these 3, but it is still an impressive season. In 13 games against 3 AP Top 25 opponents, Clausen led Tennessee to a 10-3 season. His WR room was highlighted by Mark Jones, who is a solid WR but isn't the Marcus Nash or Jalin Hyatt that the other 2 QBs had, which helps us appreciate Clausen's season a little more. There's an argument to be made that his 2001 season was better, but I wanted to stick with the senior season of the 3 QBs in discussion here.

So in conclusion, Hooker's 2022 season is probably the best QB season in UT history, and I think without the injury against those dumb Gamecocks it would undoubtedly be the best season of all time. The talent he faced was far and away better than the other 2, and he also took the helm at Tennessee in a time where they weren't a national championship frontrunner and he brought them to a #1 ranking, something the other 2 never did (yes this is the CFP rankings but still, y'all know where I'm coming from). He also broke the streak against Bama and beat Florida, which makes the season even more sweeter. It makes you appreciate how good he was even more when another QB who is far more talented took the reins last season and didn't come close to replicating his success, which leads me to believe it's more than Heupel's system. His efficiency numbers speak for themselves. All 3 of these guys are Tennessee legends and each did their own thing to write their names into Vol history, but there's just something extra special about Hendon Hooker's 2022 season.

Agreed and I would go so far as to say its not close. If you look at the team Peyton played on not only was it littered with future NFL players a lot of them were stars and pro bowlers. Pretty 4 RBs on that roster started in the NFL. 5 Wr's made the league. The defense produced multiple pro bowlers and contributors at the next level. Seriously close to half of that team cashed at least 1 NFL check.

Hendon didn't play with scrubs but most of his teammates that did or will go pro are of the late-round variety. He did more with less and had he not been injured it would have been insane. Change the results of that USCe game... we win and Hendon is not injured and I think its unquestionable he gets the Heisman.

Last edited:
When all is said and done Hooker's stats will look run of the mill for a Huepel coached QB. Look at the stats of Huepel's previous QBs. Milton was the exception. It's a completely different style of offense under CJH than any other in TN history. There will naturally be more opportunities to score and pad stats with the extra possessions.

With that said he will always live in infamy for taking down Bama, breaking the 15 game streak while Saban was still the coach

I'm sitting here thinking about how good Hendon Hooker was in 2022 and how fun that team was to watch. So just as a little reminder of how good Hooker was, I want to compare Hooker's senior season with the senior seasons of 2 other Tennessee greats: Peyton Manning and Casey Clausen.

Below are Hooker's 2022 stats with their ranking in the SEC in bold:
Okay
Comp Percentage: 69.6% (1)
Passing Yards: 3,135 (4)
Passing Yards Per Attempt: 9.5 (1 in SEC and NCAA)
Adjusted Passing Yards Per Attempt: 10.9 (1 in SEC and NCAA)
INTs: 3 (1 in SEC and NCAA, not counting the Air Force QB)
Passing Efficiency Rating: 175.5 (1)
Total Yards: 3,565 (5)
Total TD Responsible For: 32 (5)
Total Yards Per Play: 8.2 (2)

Keep in mind, this was in just 11 games against 6 AP Top 25 teams. If he had played 13, 14, or even 15 games, his total yardage numbers would have been through the roof. Using his yards per game number, he would've totaled almost 4,000 passing yards had he had played 14 games. His efficiency is something Tennessee has never seen before; and his career efficiency rating is 10th all time in college football, behind some legends of the game. Yes, there is the argument that he benefited from the beautiful scheme of Josh Heupel's offense, but we've seen it takes a special QB to make that offense flourish if the uber talented Joe Milton couldn't do it.

Now here are Peyton's stats from his 1997 Heisman season (Bump Charles Woodson) with their ranking in the SEC in bold:

Comp Percentage: 60.2 (5)
Passing Yards: 3,819 (2)
Passing Yards Per Attempt: 8 (3)
Adjusted Passing Yards Per Attempt: 8.5 (2)
Passing TDs: 36 (2)
INTs: 11 (6)
Passing Efficiency Rating: 147.7 (2)
Total Yards: 3,789 (1 in SEC and 2 in NCAA)
Total TD Responsible For: 39 (2)
Total Yards Per Play: 7.2 (1)

Peyton's stats came in just 12 games against 5 AP Top 25 opponents. All of his numbers are extremely impressive, but it puts in perspective even more just how good Hooker's 2022 season was. I understand Peyton's offense wasn't the up-tempo style designed to get receivers open looks generating multiple big time plays per game meaning his yards per attempt numbers would be less than Hooker, but that doesn't take away the fact that Peyton still put up big time stats. Peyton also put up these numbers with Jamal Lewis rushing for 1300 yards, as neither of the other 2 QBs had a RB with more than 900 yards on the ground.

Finally, here are Casey Clausen's stats from his 2003 season with their ranking in the SEC in bold:

Comp Percentage: 56.6% (9)
Passing Yards: 2,968 (3)
Passing Yards Per Attempt: 7.2 (7)
Adjusted Passing Yards Per Attempt: 7.5 (4)
INTs: 9 (8)
Passing Efficiency Rating: 134.3 (4)
Total Yards: 2,923 (3)
Total TD Responsible For: 29 (2)

Casey's season is definitely 3rd with these 3, but it is still an impressive season. In 13 games against 3 AP Top 25 opponents, Clausen led Tennessee to a 10-3 season. His WR room was highlighted by Mark Jones, who is a solid WR but isn't the Marcus Nash or Jalin Hyatt that the other 2 QBs had, which helps us appreciate Clausen's season a little more. There's an argument to be made that his 2001 season was better, but I wanted to stick with the senior season of the 3 QBs in discussion here.

So in conclusion, Hooker's 2022 season is probably the best QB season in UT history, and I think without the injury against those dumb Gamecocks it would undoubtedly be the best season of all time. The talent he faced was far and away better than the other 2, and he also took the helm at Tennessee in a time where they weren't a national championship frontrunner and he brought them to a #1 ranking, something the other 2 never did (yes this is the CFP rankings but still, y'all know where I'm coming from). He also broke the streak against Bama and beat Florida, which makes the season even more sweeter. It makes you appreciate how good he was even more when another QB who is far more talented took the reins last season and didn't come close to replicating his success, which leads me to believe it's more than Heupel's system. His efficiency numbers speak for themselves. All 3 of these guys are Tennessee legends and each did their own thing to write their names into Vol history, but there's just something extra special about Hendon Hooker's 2022 season.

I would bet that sometime over the next 2-4 years, Nico has a season we will be throwing in this conversation.

The question is what kind of season would Peyton have had with Heup’s offense?

Can’t compare Hooker with Peyton and Casey, entirely different offensive system..
Entirely different everything. Defense could knock the hell out of the WRs back in those days as well. That’s not to take anything away from Hendon either. He’s a phenomenal player and an even better person imo. Heupel’s system would’ve made QBs like Manning, and Clausen look even better; and good lord what Shuler and Dobbs would’ve done in this offense…. 🤯

Hooker just had a real knack for not getting us in any negative plays. Defenses had to respect his legs. He wasn’t the runner Dobbs was but he was great at improvisation and had a better arm than Dobbs. Manning/Clausen played in a different time. I don’t like to compare but PM was good enough to be a Heisman winner in his era. So was Hooker had he not been injured. What’s great about Hooker was his junior campaign was awesome and some thought he couldn’t replicate that TD/int ratio again and he did. That was quite the feat.

When all is said and done Hooker's stats will look run of the mill for a Huepel coached QB. Look at the stats of Huepel's previous QBs. Milton was the exception. It's a completely different style of offense under CJH than any other in TN history. There will naturally be more opportunities to score and pad stats with the extra possessions.

With that said he will always live in infamy for taking down Bama, breaking the 15 game streak while Saban was still the coach
Yeah, one stat that caused a bit of pause where he threw out Air Force being #1 and gave it to HH because their gimmick or run heavy Offense I'm guessing. Heuple QBs should all have better numbers than previous coaches as they will have more plays per game to garner them. I would put Hooker at #1 College lets hope it translate to Pros because that would bode well for recruiting in the future GBO.

Last edited:
Peyton and Casey played in a far different and tougher era of college football and they didn’t have the benefit of playing for an offensive guru. Regardless, Hooker had one heck of a season his senior year. It remains to be seen if Hooker will be a star NFL QB. If Nico plays in this system for a few more years I look for him to surpass Hooker and win the ESPN Hypesman.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
The question is what kind of season would Peyton have had with Heup’s offense?

Can’t compare Hooker with Peyton and Casey, entirely different offensive system..
Well, as good as the Vol-god was, he'd be a rather inadequate Heupel system QB. Pey-Pey was largely immobile, he'd get his teeth knocked out repeatedly. It happened to Hooker, once against Bama on an uncalled post whistle and I think out of bounds foul. There's a reason the Gators of Peyton's era mocked him by calling him happy feet. He just wasn't a scrambler. If he ended up with Butterfingers 2023 WRs, not much he could do. That said, if he Heupeled with a 2022 OL that Hooker had, along with that WR squad, naw, forget it, he'd still get caught due to not being a scrambler. But he'd have his moments when the OL held up. Like someone said, it was a different era, a survival of the fittest, kill 'em just for the heck of it eras. WRs would have been Akron-ed play after play. Pey-Pey was a legend in his own time, and always will be. Hooker has his own place cemented in Vol Lore, as he should. Let's just enjoy being blessed with two exceptional QBs that will be talked about for decades on decades, maybe even centuries.

Should have followed my own advice regarding referring to the Vol-god.

I think Peyton’s 97 season was better. I love Hooker but Peyton’s ability to read defenses was outmatched. Also have to figure in the offensive system. Heupels system is vastly superior to anything Peyton had.

Peyton Manning in 2022 under Heupel would have swept the Heisman by a long shot.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Well, as good as the Vol-god was, he'd be a rather inadequate Heupel system QB. Pey-Pey was largely immobile, he'd get his teeth knocked out repeatedly. It happened to Hooker, once against Bama on an uncalled post whistle and I think out of bounds foul. There's a reason the Gators of Peyton's era mocked him by calling him happy feet. He just wasn't a scrambler. If he ended up with Butterfingers 2023 WRs, not much he could do. That said, if he Heupeled with a 2022 OL that Hooker had, along with that WR squad, naw, forget it, he'd still get caught due to not being a scrambler. But he'd have his moments when the OL held up. Like someone said, it was a different era, a survival of the fittest, kill 'em just for the heck of it eras. WRs would have been Akron-ed play after play. Pey-Pey was a legend in his own time, and always will be. Hooker has his own place cemented in Vol Lore, as he should. Let's just enjoy being blessed with two exceptional QBs that will be talked about for decades on decades, maybe even centuries.

Should have followed my own advice regarding referring to the Vol-god.
Wrong my friend. The only reason you are saying a mobile QB is needed in Heupels system is because the QBs were not able to read defenses at an elite level. Something Peyton could. In 2022, you basically had Hyatt getting behind everyone and Hooker hitting him wide open.

As stated Peyton’s ability to read defenses is just as good or better than any QB we have ever seen at the college level. That followed him in the NFL. Peyton could move if he needed to. And if you don’t think an offensive genius like Heupel wouldn’t have made him the best QB in the nation then you are fooling yourself. There is a reason Peyton was the #1 pick in 1998. He probably could have went #1 in the 1997 draft.

Point is you don’t see QBs with Peyton’s level of abilities very often. And Hooker didn’t have them either. But Hooker had a great season.

Yeah, one stat that caused a bit of pause where he threw out Air Force being #1 and gave it to HH because their gimmick or run heavy Offense I'm guessing. Heuple QBs should all have better numbers than previous coaches as they will have more plays per game to garner them. I would put Hooker at #1 College lets hope it translate to Pros because that would bode well for recruiting in the future GBO.
Air Force's QB only attempted 83 passes. That's backup QB numbers at a Power 5 school. I wanted people to see that out of QBs who are at schools that actually throw the ball regularly, Hendon had the least amount of interceptions thrown in the entire nation.

Last edited:
Orangeblood16, you be careful about posting that kind of stuff. Adherents of the Vol-god may come after you for darting to indicate a Vol QB outperformed the Vol-god on any level. Be careful.
Oh I know, I'm a QB myself and I grew up with Peyton as my hero. I've watched just about every Peyton highlight imaginable. It's even hard for me to admit that someone outperformed the Sheriff. He's also the reason I put 16 in my name.

Last edited:

Hooker still outperformed what Dillon Gabriel did with Heupel as his coach. I look at the efficiency production, and that's what makes Hooker's season so absurd. He was an incomplete pass away from 70% completion percentage, and his efficiency rating is 10th in college football HISTORY, far higher than any other QB Heup has coached. He rarely made mistakes with the ball. And yes does the style of offense help him, sure, but no other QB Heup has coached had 9.5 yards per attempt, which led the nation.

VN Store

Back