Going forward, the KY series, & pitching

NighthawkVol

Taking the Kentucky series on the road is easily the most impressive thing Tennessee has done this year. Not that the Vols have struggled, but there hasn’t been that Wow series. Beating the #3 team in America in its home park, which is a large park, something critics claim is kryptonite for Tennessee, is a real Statement.

Furthermore, there are some pitching components coming together now at the right time. Aaron Combs’ Saturday performance was spectacular. If that’s the Combs we get down the stretch, we have 3 absolute stud relievers in Causey, Snead, and Combs who can give us long relief. Marcus Phillips coming in and closing the door was also huge. If he can embrace and thrive in that role, we’ve got another bullet we didn’t have in the chamber before. TV seems to think that light came on for both of those guys and that’s what we’ll get from them going forward.

It really wasn’t fair to Kirby to ask him to go as long as he did, but we were out of reliable arms. He gutted it out and kept Kentucky at bay. He won’t be asked to pitch that many innings going forward (I don’t think), so I don’t worry too much about the runs he gave up late. Like I said, he shouldn’t have still been pitching then and it wasn’t fair to him that he was. He can (and will) be outstanding for an inning or 2 when needed. Same for Behnke.

With the bullpen seemingly coming together and Zander solidifying the Sunday starter role, the last big piece will be Russell’s return. He’s supposed to be back in early May. That puts him back when UT goes to Gainesville. If he’s back and he’s the Russell he was before, that gives Tennessee 3 good starters, a Friday ace we haven’t had all year AND it adds Stamos back to that bullpen. Pitching becomes very good. Not on the level of this offense (no one is), but still the kind of staff that can pair with this offense to win big things in the postseason.

Things may just be trending up at the right time. And Russell’s injury forced some others to step up…so it may end up being a blessing in disguise when he returns.

Not to throw shade, but making that series out to be WOW because they are the #3 team in America seems to dismiss that we are the #4 team in America. If we were unranked or like 20th, then I think your statement would be more valid, but two top 5 teams were playing. We should be able to beat them, they should be able to beat us. We had a little more hitting and a little better pitching and won the series.

Not to throw shade, but making that series out to be WOW because they are the #3 team in America seems to dismiss that we are the #4 team in America. If we were unranked or like 20th, then I think your statement would be more valid, but two top 5 teams were playing. We should be able to beat them, they should be able to beat us. We had a little more hitting and a little better pitching and won the series.

In that case, a 'wow' isn't possible. National press called it a 'statement win'. Can we at least have that?

I expected to win 1 or 2 in Lexington ( check my stats) ;)
KY is a good ball club but I would not put them in elite category. Time will tell over the next couple of weeks if their 14-1, now 15-3 start holds up.

If beating a top 5 team in their park isn’t a season highlight, then season highlights aren’t possible and you should watch nature shows instead. No one is dismissing what UT is. But UT was not favored to win that series by most.

That’s easily the biggest series of the season for Tennessee and there aren’t any bigger for the remainder of the season, outside of maybe Vanderbilt. Maybe.

I havent kept up with baseball as much as i did last year, so help me out here. But it feels like this team's strength is on saturday and sunday. The past few series if we drop friday we come back stronger and better on saturday and sunday. Am i right in assuming that? Also, who is our ace in the Bullpen now?

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I havent kept up with baseball as much as i did last year, so help me out here. But it feels like this team's strength is on saturday and sunday. The past few series if we drop friday we come back stronger and better on saturday and sunday. Am i right in assuming that? Also, who is our ace in the Bullpen now?
We don’t have a closer per se but have had several long relievers or high leverage relievers who come in during critical points during the game. Lately, that’s been Snead, Combs, Connell, and yesterday included Phillips.

I expected to win 1 or 2 in Lexington ( check my stats) ;)
KY is a good ball club but I would not put them in elite category. Time will tell over the next couple of weeks if their 14-1, now 15-3 start holds up.
Unrelated but the “check my stats” era of VolNation insiders in like 2011-13 was so funny

Reactions: WillisWG and Zues1
Glad to get the series win, but giving up 6 home runs to Ky on Sunday is worrisome...Especially since this Ky team is not known for hitting home runs...Yes, the wind was blowing out.

If you're only looking at the rankings, then yes, this outcome was always plausible. But Kentucky is atop the SEC standings, and coming into this series, they were probably the hottest team in the country. This is the only program in the conference that's never been to Omaha, they're having a dream season, they're in first place, and they packed the house in Lexington with record-breaking crowds to play their most hated rival.

To me, it goes beyond your standard #3 versus #4. We just beat a really, really good team in a very difficult environment. Do not undersell this accomplishment.

Glad to get the series win, but giving up 6 home runs to Ky on Sunday is worrisome...Especially since this Ky team is not known for hitting home runs...Yes, the wind was blowing out.
SEC Leaders Summary as of Apr 21, 2024 (SEC games only)

Team Batting
g
avg
ab
r
h
2b
3b
hr
bb
so
sb-att
Kentucky​
18​
.320​
612​
162​
196​
38​
1​
41​
80​
125​
32-47​
Tennessee​
18​
.307​
616​
158​
189​
43​
1​
51​
74​
164​
9-14​
Texas A&M​
18​
.300​
637​
155​
191​
37​
2​
42​
86​
166​
20-26​
Alabama​
18​
.281​
615​
95​
173​
30​
4​
26​
48​
127​
4-5​
Georgia​
18​
.278​
615​
135​
171​
36​
0​
38​
85​
154​
9-10​
Mississippi State​
18​
.273​
601​
114​
164​
24​
0​
20​
79​
158​
16-19​
Vanderbilt​
18​
.273​
598​
102​
163​
38​
4​
17​
54​
155​
23-26​
LSU​
18​
.257​
610​
94​
157​
30​
1​
33​
76​
174​
4-7​
South Carolina​
18​
.252​
603​
109​
152​
32​
1​
24​
97​
201​
16-23​
Ole Miss​
18​
.248​
588​
91​
146​
20​
1​
23​
79​
159​
13-15​
Auburn​
18​
.247​
588​
84​
145​
27​
0​
19​
67​
173​
16-20​
Florida​
18​
.245​
617​
99​
151​
32​
1​
36​
69​
191​
8-11​
Arkansas​
18​
.238​
596​
96​
142​
21​
2​
27​
90​
143​
11-15​
Missouri​
18​
.205​
584​
66​
120​
18​
5​
8​
59​
215​
14-22​
Totals​
126​
.267​
8480​
1560​
2260​
426​
23​
405​
1043​
2305​
195-260​

They are one HR behind A&M in conference play.

If you're only looking at the rankings, then yes, this outcome was always plausible. But Kentucky is atop the SEC standings, and coming into this series, they were probably the hottest team in the country. This is the only program in the conference that's never been to Omaha, they're having a dream season, they're in first place, and they packed the house in Lexington with record-breaking crowds to play their most hated rival.

To me, it goes beyond your standard #3 versus #4. We just beat a really, really good team in a very difficult environment. Do not undersell this accomplishment.
People that attended the games this weekend say it felt like a super regional.

I don't exactly remember last Thursday what game I was watching, but I think it was Vanderbilt-Florida. The announcers were talking about the Tennessee-Kentucky game, and saying that Kentucky was glad to have it there at their place because home runs wouldn't be the "story" I am paraphrasing what they said, but what was meant was that Tennessee could only hit multiple home runs in LNS because it was a small field, not in a large field like Kentucky's. i guess they forgot to watch or listen to the Auburn game, when Tennessee hit, was it 14?, home runs there.

I don't exactly remember last Thursday what game I was watching, but I think it was Vanderbilt-Florida. The announcers were talking about the Tennessee-Kentucky game, and saying that Kentucky was glad to have it there at their place because home runs wouldn't be the "story" I am paraphrasing what they said, but what was meant was that Tennessee could only hit multiple home runs in LNS because it was a small field, not in a large field like Kentucky's. i guess they forgot to watch or listen to the Auburn game, when Tennessee hit, was it 14?, home runs there.
I really am sick of this narrative because we prove it over and over again we can hit them anywhere. We just sent a buttload out in what I believe is the biggest park in the SEC. It really makes announcers look dumb when they say this

I dont understand this take, not like UT hits a bunch of "cheapies", a 400 ft hr leaves almost every park except yellowstone park

I really am sick of this narrative because we prove it over and over again we can hit them anywhere. We just sent a buttload out in what I believe is the biggest park in the SEC. It really makes announcers look dumb when they say this
Labeling UK as a small ball offense is equally as stupid.

It's a lame excuse. Doesn't the visiting team have the same opportunity at Lindsey Nelson.

I think it's a WOW! series because that school and their supporters wanted to beat UT more than any other school on the schedule- Maybe except Vanderbilt and their fanbase of dozens.

They would have only packed that stadium and been that vocal only for Tennessee.

So it was more than beating #3 team on road. It was beating the #3 team in their place with a most of their eggs in their same childish baby shark Easter basket.

VN Store

Back