New additions vs those leaving

ETNCvol

ETNCvol
I really was disappointed in Awake and Aidoo leaving because they were both very good this year. It may be their roles were to be bigger ( or smaller? ) for next year at end of this season coaching evaluations. Who knows , but I was proud of their effort and giving their all. I wish them success no matter what.

I do think it looks like we got 2 really good transfers coming in, a talented scorer and an experienced big man. I’d really like to see UT get the player from Belmont as well for further scoring ability.

Reactions: savannahfan
I really was disappointed in Awake and Aidoo leaving because they were both very good this year. It may be their roles were to be bigger ( or smaller? ) for next year at end of this season coaching evaluations. Who knows , but I was proud of their effort and giving their all. I wish them success no matter what.

I do think it looks like we got 2 really good transfers coming in, a talented scorer and an experienced big man. I’d really like to see UT get the player from Belmont as well for further scoring ability.
I hope Awake will change his mind and come back. He will get a ton of playing time. If he stays out of foul trouble.

Barnes said he wasn’t waiting around and he went after a guy that might end up being a difference maker in the lane. Just the threat of a blocked shot deters guys from driving to the basket and can alter shots significantly. We got an upgrade and we got someone that actually wanted to be here.

Okpara is a great get. Long, athletic, runs the floor. Effective in pick and roll. Elite shot blocker. Good area rebounder with plenty of potential to become a great rebounder.

Doubt he will ever be a great offensive player, but he will improve in that area and brings so much else to the table.

Last edited:

My take will be very unpopular with many on this board, but the only player I hated seeing leave was Knecht. Appreciate all Vescovi, JJJ and Aidoo brought...when they came to play...but I'm glad they've moved on. This roster needed fresh blood.

My take will be very unpopular with many on this board, but the only player I hated seeing leave was Knecht. Appreciate all Vescovi, JJJ and Aidoo brought...when they came to play...but I'm glad they've moved on. This roster needed fresh blood.
I tend to agree with you. It’s like the law of diminishing returns. I thank them for wearing the Orange and I wish the well. I’m excited to watch ZZ and Carr next season.

I tend to agree with you. It’s like the law of diminishing returns. I thank them for wearing the Orange and I wish the well. I’m excited to watch ZZ and Carr next season.
Man, I can't help but like any and every post you make with that avi. My favorite on this board. Know I'm not supposed to covet, but....

Okpara is a great get. Long, athletic, runs the floor. Effective in pick and roll. Elite shot blocker. Good area rebounder with plenty of potential to become a great rebounder.

Doubt he will ever be a great offensive player, but he will improve in that area and brings so much else to the table.
I doubt he will have three fouls after 3 minutes of play. I liked Awake but he is limited in his offensive and defensive production. He is an exceptional rebounder.

Great for me will be if he rebounds a bit better and finishes AT THE RIM a lot better. He SEEMS to instinctively want to flush when at the rim from the sample I have seen. Inside misses seemed to follow Aidoo after boards or with feeds. IF IF IF he has more dog and less finesse in him and will play through contact ON BOTH ENDS, he COULD be a better fit. My HOPE anyway.

This is what my like is for..

I try not to do this. I remember when Chris Lofton graduated, everyone on this board had me convinced that Scotty Hopson was just a taller and more athletic version of Chris. And the following season, we could not make a 3-pointer to save our lives.

We had an elite 8 run this year and everyone on the team contributed in some way. Let's don't take it for granted.

Having said all that, I am excited about the players coming in and will always be optimistic about next season.

Barnes said he wasn’t waiting around and he went after a guy that might end up being a difference maker in the lane. Just the threat of a blocked shot deters guys from driving to the basket and can alter shots significantly. We got an upgrade and we got someone that actually wanted to be here.
Someone who can body up Broome

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I am in total agreement. I think JJJ and Vescovi were great VOLS and represented the university admirably. Knecht was a joy to watch and I will miss watching his magic on the court. But I am looking forward to Mashack and ZZ working together(it will be their team), Estrella and Phillips a chance to prove themselves on both the offensive and defensive end. As for Carr, I am really looking forward to him excelling on the court. I believe he can make a difference in this team.

I try not to do this. I remember when Chris Lofton graduated, everyone on this board had me convinced that Scotty Hopson was just a taller and more athletic version of Chris. And the following season, we could not make a 3-pointer to save our lives.

We had an elite 8 run this year and everyone on the team contributed in some way. Let's don't take it for granted.

Having said all that, I am excited about the players coming in and will always be optimistic about next season.
We don't actually disagree. I said in another post that for better or worse I was ready for change. I'm fully aware that we might not be nearly as successful next year. Previous success doesn't guarantee future results plus, there's no telling how this new roster with so many new faces will mesh. Sometimes the brew you get from all those new ingredients is bitter. Still, it was time for a fresh set of faces in orange...at least in my world.

Reactions: Orange Navy
Fans act like these transfers are just going to walk in and start performing at a high level. Estrella had about 6 minutes of playing time last season and the OSU transfer knows nothing about the Barnes system. Awaka would be lightyears ahead of either of them. We need to win those early season games just as much as the conference games to make the NCAA tournament. That being said, I don't think anyone who leaves should be taken back just to draw a line in the sand on transferring in general. The players in all sports have no restraints on them from any angle at this point.

Surely to god JP can average 5/5 and less than 3 fouls per game.
Not if you scale his per minute production from last year up to the 13 min/game Awaka got. He would have had 4 rebounds and 2 points per game in those minutes.

He should be better than last year, but I don’t see why we’re assuming that he would be and Awaka wouldn’t.

VN Store

Back