Not surprising: Dalton Knect is CBS Sports Transfer of the Year

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
dalton-knecht-tennessee-usatsi.jpg

Dalton Knecht, Tennessee (Transfer of the Year)​

Knecht's arrival from Northern Colorado sparked a revitalization of Tennessee's offense and set the stage for the program's second-ever Elite Eight run. The Volunteers won the SEC regular season title with Knecht averaging 25.5 points per game on 42.4% 3-point shooting against conference opposition. That gaudy production for a winning team made him an easy pick for SEC Player of the Year, and Knecht didn't stop there as he took home consensus first-team All-American honors. Though he couldn't will the Volunteers to their first-ever Final Four, Knecht went toe-to-toe with National Player of the Year Zach Edey of Purdue in an Elite Eight showdown by setting a program record for most points in an NCAA Tournament game with 37.

The 6-foot-6 shooting guard surpassed 30 points eight times and hit three or more 3-pointers in 17 games. What made Knecht so difficult for opponents to handle was the versatility in his game. While his ability to rise up over defenders and drill long-range jumpers stood out, Knecht showed a deft touch with mid-range shooting and proved to be a relentless attacker capable of getting to the rim and finishing once he got there. Knecht established himself as a potential lottery pick in the 2024 NBA Draft while capping an unlikely journey from unheralded junior college prospect to top transfer in college basketball.

Truly a once-in-a-generation player that I will remember so fondly. Can’t say enough good things about how he impacted this program, and it mostly just sucks we only got one year with him.

Going to be a loooooooooooong time before we see another person wear Orange and White who can drop 35-40 at will and opposing defenses can do nothing to stop it.

Truly a once-in-a-generation player that I will remember so fondly. Can’t say enough good things about how he impacted this program, and it mostly just sucks we only got one year with him.

Going to be a loooooooooooong time before we see another person wear Orange and White who can drop 35-40 at will and opposing defenses can do nothing to stop it.
It may not be as long as you think. Lanier scored 30+ in 4 games and had several 25+ point games this season. IF we land him he would be a great replacement.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
It may not be as long as you think. Lanier scored 30+ in 4 games and had several 25+ point games this season. IF we land him he would be a great replacement.

Maybe. I don’t know how often we’ll see scoring translate to that degree. It could happen, but I would be shocked if Lanier came in and had 8+ games of 30 or more points like Knecht. That’s just ridiculous stuff. And to average 26 PPG for an entire conference season? Unheard of.

Maybe. I don’t know how often we’ll see scoring translate to that degree. It could happen, but I would be shocked if Lanier came in and had 8+ games of 30 or more points like Knecht. That’s just ridiculous stuff. And to average 26 PPG for an entire conference season? Unheard of.
Yeah it was pretty spectacular. Wish the refs wouldn’t have controlled the outcome because I firmly believe we were the only team in the country that could have contended with UConn. But the good news is this season put Tennesse right in the spotlight and all the elite scorers saw what they could experience on Rocky Top. You get to play in front of the most fans in the country and be adored like no other if you succeed here. There is no other place that can offer that.

Knecht had so many "moments" of just jaw dropping performances, and from a pretty humble young man who earned it in the most unlikely manner, I find it hard to compare to other UT BB players. 8x 30 pt efforts in only 36 games and frankly if he didn't have that ankle sprain in December we may have seen 1 or 2 more. He was just warming up in that UNC game. To put in perspective, Grant Williams had 5x 30 pt games but over 104 games. Lofton had 9 but over 128 games.

DK had next level offensive brilliance. Going to miss "his show" next year and wish him best in the NBA because he belongs.

Beyond his on court performance, the way he carried himself of the court and continually deferred credit to his teammates and coaches during interviews was impressive. He didn’t allow all the newfound adoration go to his head - a credit to his character and parents. Wish him great success and riches in the NBA!

An award for everything. Best water bottle carrier basketball category. Cannot compete in football also. Need diversity to keep snowflakes happy and afloat.

That we actually have an award for the best transfer is hard for this old man to wrap his head around.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000

VN Store

Back