All those signing UDFA contracts?

madbamahater

How does UDFAgency work? Do they immediately start receiving the league minimum salary? When does compensation start for UDFAgents? Is the league minimum $750k per year?

If it is $750k per year, I can certainly see why one would forgo a final season of college football. Do they actually have to make the squad in order to be paid, or is signing as an undrafted free agent enough for at least 1 annual contractual amount?

Sure, I'll Google it, just wondering if anyone knows the inner workings

Reactions: krichunaka
The answer is "it depends"

Some UDFAs get guaranteed money in their contract. Somewhat Rare but has been growing recently.

Some UDFAs do make final roster and get the 750K

Some UDFAs make a practice squad and make low 6 figures. They have chance to be promoted up to active roster as well.

Most are camp bodies, favors to agents, friends, etc and will end up making nominal compensation for their time in camp.

As the previous poster said, kind of depends on the player, team, and how bad they want they want the kid.

Obviously not all situations are the same. Remember a few years ago when that kid from LSU had an ex gf get killed right before the draft? He had nothing to do with it but of course nobody drafted him. I'm sure when he was cleared and signed with the Cowboys, he got quite a bit more than the average UDFA.

Most sign for a token amount to get through training camp, etc-like $25K and then if they make the team or practice squad then they get an actual contract.

Basically, with NIL I believe a player would be a fool to give up a year of college for a "chance" as an UDFA. Some guys make it work though. Tyler Bray was around for 7-8 years as an UDFA without ever having to actually play. Perhaps he wasn't was dumb as we all though.

QBs probably get a little bit more and teams need camp arms, etc

Some UDFAs get guaranteed money in their contract. Somewhat Rare but has been growing recently.

Some UDFAs make a practice squad and make low 6 figures. They have chance to be promoted up to active roster as well.

Most are camp bodies, favors to agents, friends, etc and will end up making nominal compensation for their time in camp.
Tony Romo was an UDFA---there's always hope

How does UDFAgency work? Do they immediately start receiving the league minimum salary? When does compensation start for UDFAgents? Is the league minimum $750k per year?

If it is $750k per year, I can certainly see why one would forgo a final season of college football. Do they actually have to make the squad in order to be paid, or is signing as an undrafted free agent enough for at least 1 annual contractual amount?

Sure, I'll Google it, just wondering if anyone knows the inner workings

I think practice squad guys get like 12k/week during the NFL season, though that probably varies by player. I would think around that mark is the average. If you make the active roster, you get paid the prorated league minimum (46k/week) for however many weeks you are on the active roster.

Thanks Jimmy

Tony Romo was an UDFA---there's always hope

Justin Coleman was a UDFA from UT and I think he made over $100 million in The League.

With the NFL’s hard cap, those teams need as many serviceable low-salary contributors as they can get. And then if you prove you can play, you start making real money.

VN Store

Back