Cristian Conyer to the portal

I really wonder how many players are leaving because they want to or because the staff has told them they don’t have much of a future here. Or does it really make any difference anymore?
I think he was told. He was just tweeting about the vol club last week.

I really wonder how many players are leaving because they want to or because the staff has told them they don’t have much of a future here. Or does it really make any difference anymore?
Most of them can see the pecking order being set. He was too talented to wait for it to be official in the fall.

I don’t think there was ever going to be a path for him to play much anyway. Not with all the DBs that came in from the portal.
Unless of course a bunch of those new DBs decide to be one and dones and go right back into the portal if THEY don’t like their playing time.
With the portal „next man up“ can crop up very unexpectedly

Reactions: Gandalf
Wish him the best.

Also, STILL a great testament to the Culture to have only the few transferring after Spring!
I think we have maybe one of the best (if not THE best) cultures in the nation. But in today’s world; not sure even how much that gets us. I love the portal and NIL because it enabled Heupel to rebuild much more quickly and efficiently than any of us dreamed. But the other side of the equation is that you can lose talented players just as quickly. There has to be a middle ground somewhere. I am thinking eventually there will be some sort of contract structure set up

I asked the board last week if anyone thought CJH would be going after an additional RB from the portal to sure up depth. I was told that we were full due to scholarships. Perhaps this will lead to that end. Either way, the best of luck to Christian. I hope he ends up getting a lot of playing time wherever he lands.

Makes me sad for him. I imagine it kinda feels like your GF telling you that „we should start seeing other people“.

Yup.

Nobody ever said being a CFB was easy.

To be honest with you, the last few years I have been able to generate less empathy with all the NIL stuff though.

I kind of miss the Paul Bain kind of guy. Nobody ever confused them for an NFL talent, but they were all in for Tennessee you know? Stuff like that is why I fell in love with CFB back in the day. Very different dynamic than when half the players are getting paid more for the season than I will ever see for a year in my life

Good luck to Conyer.

But, this leaves the Vols currently at 4 fewer scholarship DBs on the roster compared to last season. With currently 1 scholarship available (per my understanding), I hope the Vols are looking to add a DB. With usually 5 DBs on the field at a time, we’re susceptible to depth issues, especially if/when injuries occur.

Good luck to Conyer.

But, this leaves the Vols currently at 4 fewer scholarship DBs on the roster compared to last season. With currently 1 scholarship available (per my understanding), I hope the Vols are looking to add a DB. With usually 5 DBs on the field at a time, we’re susceptible to depth issues, especially if/when injuries occur.

We honestly lost nobody that wasn’t replaceable.
We need good depth not just depth.

Right now we have both
Jacob Thomas/ Jourdon Thomas SS
Turrentine/ John Slaughter /Brooks FS
Charles/ Carter/ Harrison NB
Gibson/ McMurray/ Goree CB
McCoy/ Matthews/ W Wright CB

That’s more or less the without Beasley, or Farooq

I think we’re good. 18 guys for 10 spots at DB with regular playing time?

What good is 22 DBs if 6 of them are bad??

Yup.

Nobody ever said being a CFB was easy.

To be honest with you, the last few years I have been able to generate less empathy with all the NIL stuff though.

I kind of miss the Paul Bain kind of guy. Nobody ever confused them for an NFL talent, but they were all in for Tennessee you know? Stuff like that is why I fell in love with CFB back in the day. Very different dynamic than when half the players are getting paid more for the season than I will ever see for a year in my life
What is the percentage of major CFB players who ever get professional contracts? I would guess it is far below 1 percent. There are only so many openings and thousands of applicants every year. If these kids are chasing opportunities in hopes of even making a practice squad most of them are certain to end up disappointed. At least at Tennessee they will be treated as part of a family.
Again though, easy for me to say what I would do when I have zero football ability

Reactions: stolitonic
What is the percentage of major CFB players who ever get professional contracts? I would guess it is far below 1 percent. There are only so many openings and thousands of applicants every year. If these kids are chasing opportunities in hopes of even making a practice squad most of them are certain to end up disappointed. At least at Tennessee they will be treated as part of a family.
Again though, easy for me to say what I would do when I have zero football ability

Amen

I guess I'm just old school.

No doubt playing football for UT is a rough business, but I think the rewards would be worth it-again, if I had any ability.

A free education and all the bells and whistles is nothing to scoff at in this day and age. Add in that with that on your resume, I'm sure you wouldn't have to spend much time looking for a gig after college. Basically leverage yourself into a nice cushy job playing golf with clients while you talk about the good old days when you suited up for UT.

Sure would have beat the 4-5 years grinding it out I spent just trying to make my name after college.

VN Store

Back