Could Majors have won a NC here?

Would Majors have eventually won a NC here?

• Yes

Votes: 85 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 115 57.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

#1fulmerite

Only losers dislike winners
Do you think had he not been let go in favor of Fulmer during the ‘92 season, he would have won a NC here and, if so, before the ‘98 season?

Regardless if he had stayed out the ‘92 season or won the power struggle, Fulmer would have been gone to another program. Would Fulmer have taken coaches with him or would they have stayed? I, for one, was glad that we, the legions of the miserables had Fulmer and thus our ‘98 NC. But, had Majors remained the HC, I don’t ever see him winning a NC. Now, to be fair, it took Fulmer many years to get us to the top. Seems Johnny’s teams were too up and down week to week. Beat a good Florida team then turn around and lose to a good Bama team then tie an average to good team like Auburn.

Also, seems to me the coaching style difference between the two also separates them. Fulmer was more of a players coach and more hands on; at a time we need both.

Majors had all the tools, the legacy, the history (Pittsburgh) to do so. He was perfectly set to do so.

Did he drink away our possibilities?
No doubt Majors enjoyed his bourbon as do a lot of people. That being said, it's sort of a false narrative that he was drunk all the time. He would have never lived up into his mid 80s

No doubt Majors enjoyed his bourbon as do a lot of people. That being said, it's sort of a false narrative that he was drunk all the time. He would have never lived up into his mid 80s
He probably had a sweet spot from about 85-90 where if he didn’t get it done, it wasn’t going to happen.

Do you think had he not been let go in favor of Fulmer during the ‘92 season, he would have won a NC here and, if so, before the ‘98 season?

Regardless if he had stayed out the ‘92 season or won the power struggle, Fulmer would have been gone to another program. Would Fulmer have taken coaches with him or would they have stayed? I, for one, was glad that we, the legions of the miserables had Fulmer and thus our ‘98 NC. But, had Majors remained the HC, I don’t ever see him winning a NC. Now, to be fair, it took Fulmer many years to get us to the top. Seems Johnny’s teams were too up and down week to week. Beat a good Florida team then turn around and lose to a good Bama team then tie an average to good team like Auburn.

Also, seems to me the coaching style difference between the two also separates them. Fulmer was more of a players coach and more hands on; at a time we need both.
I don’t know, but I think if Majors had inherited the program Fulmer had inherited as a young coach, he’d have won multiple NCs. So much of Majors years were spent building. Fulmer couldn’t have done what Majors did. Not from scratch.

He nearly did in 1985, had there been a playoff that year I wouldn’t have bet against us! We had a great team in 1989 as well.GBO!
Depends on how many team play-off. We were ranked #8 after the Vandy game.

89 was probably the best chance if Reggie hadn't pulled his trick before the Alabama game. Still scored 30 on the Tide without him.

And of course will never know what 90 would have produced with Webb playing a whole season.

The question is two fold. Could CJM do well enough during regular season to be in the Championship and could he have beaten the team that actually won that year. Here are the National Champs for several years after CJM's ousting. Which do you like him against?
Colorado/GT would be his best chance, I think. He's not beating those Nebraska teams. Maybe he could have derailed Bama's 92 season?
2000OklahomaBCS
1999Florida StateBCS
1998TennesseeBCS
1997Michigan, NebraskaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/ESPN
1996FloridaAP, FWAA, NFF,USA/CNN
1995NebraskaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1994NebraskaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1993Florida St.AP, FWAA,NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1992AlabamaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1991Washington, Miami (Fla.)FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI,AP
1990Colorado, Georgia TechFWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, AP, UPI
1989Miami (Fla.)

Reactions: LouderVol
Depends on how many team play-off. We were ranked #8 after the Vandy game.

89 was probably the best chance if Reggie hadn't pulled his trick before the Alabama game. Still scored 30 on the Tide without him.

And of course will never know what 90 would have produced with Webb playing a whole season.
Would have probably played Oklahoma in an 8 team play-off.

Man, this is a tough hypothetical to answer.

If you had asked could he have won one, I'd say definitely yes. He was that good a coach. His time at Pitt proves it.

But you asked if he would have won one. That's really impossible to say, even as a hypothetical.

So I passed on the poll. But it's an interesting question.

Go Vols!

Coaches were always leaving under Johnny. Almost every year. Fulmer was definitely going to be hired away. His offense was prolific and he was a commodity.

Several other coaches tried to leave after LSU game and Fulmer cooled them off. They most certainly would have left.

Many players were openly talking of transferring out after the season. So that was likely.

Could he have won? Possibly because anything is possible. With Fulmer bring the ace recruiter and his leaving, it's questionable if the same talent levels would have continued.

Dickey and Johnson could see the program falling apart. The board could see it falling apart. Their hands were forced and one of Johnny's former teammates was leading the move.

No one liked having to do it but felt there was no choice.

I knew Majors very well. I helped him recruiting the Atlanta area and we were able to bring so0me very good football players to Tennessee. I think there were tow things which kept him from winning a national Championship at Tennessee. First, he had a lot of turn over in his assistant coaches. Some of his coaches did not recruit as well as others, but he could close with most of the better players his assistants were able to get to visit. Secondly, he won his Championship at Pitt with his first recruiting class.. He signed around 100 freshmen players including Tony Dorsett. At that time, the SEC had imposed recruiting limits on the number of players a team could recruit each year. I do not think that his alcohol intake was a problem in his coaching . at least not until his other health problems became more debilitating. He was successful everywhere he coaches and was able to greatly improve the football program after he returned home to Tennessee. I enjoyed working with him in recruiting Atlanta area football games and never was with him when he had too much to drink. He was talented football player and coach and few could match his skills as a player or coach.

The yr he lost to AL 9-6 with a much better team finished me with Majors. No excuse for that lost other than playing over the top conservative.
That game did it for a lot of people. 1990 was just the complete opposite of 1998 as far as things falling the right way . . .

Andy Kelly picked in the endzone late against ND;
Greg Burke gags on a 35 yard FG attempt at the end against Auburn
Lost to Bama in the screwiest way possible

VN Store

Back