Kamara leaves mini camp

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member

Curious where people think he should be on this list. He’s currently the second highest paid running back in the league. The article mentions a “contact restructure” which sounds to me like the Saints are looking to pay him less.

View attachment 648405
Maybe in salary, but compensating him in other ways that are more cap friendly

Interesting.

Kamara technically has two years remaining on his contract, but it's effectively a one-year deal at this stage. The back is set to make $10.2 million in base salary, with just $1 million guaranteed. His 2025 base is $22.4 million with zero guaranteed -- essentially a dummy year on the back end of his extension to inflate the per-year average.

Running backs are tough position anymore because if you have a top shelf guy, you have to pay them, but if you don't get a full season out of them and you're an average team, at best, then you have to start considering if you get more value from using that money to shore up other parts of a team...although backs like Christian/Kamara seem to have most staying power and value b/c of their versatility in ways they can be used in running/passing game.

Age, financial security, are probably issues. Never been in positions like him and other players, so I will just speak for myself.

To earn as much as they do, and have the prestige of playing pro, coming from a low social strata background, and the financial struggles that come with that, I'd differ. Like anybody, I like having mo' money, but there's a point you realize you have it made, and hugely better than most. I'd be thankful, keep working, look forward to a retirement in which I can afford to do practically whatever I want, go wherever I want, and thoroughly enjoy a retired life. Being the simple guy I am, for me that'd likely be fishing, hunting (I'd love to take a moose) and eating what I catch or kill. I don't need to show off in some fancy city, having eight cars, a suit that cost as much as a Cadillac Escalade. I'm just fine with Levis and wrangler denim-ware, either Redwing shoes/boots, or whatever is sold at Sears, or even Walmart.

Curious where people think he should be on this list. He’s currently the second highest paid running back in the league. The article mentions a “contact restructure” which sounds to me like the Saints are looking to pay him less.

View attachment 648405

He's almost 29, plays a non premium position, no longer a dependable three down back, and gets injured all the time.

Team gets really no 2024 salary cap savings by cutting him now.

Saints tend to kick salary cap can down road (usually to their detriment) so they might restructure. But they would be better off playing out 2024 and cutting him then.

AK has little leverage here...

He's almost 29, plays a non premium position, no longer a dependable three down back, and gets injured all the time.

Team gets really no 2024 salary cap savings by cutting him now.

Saints tend to kick salary cap can down road (usually to their detriment) so they might restructure. But they would be better off playing out 2024 and cutting him then.

AK has little leverage here...
Yup either ride it out or trade him. Might be able to get a 4th for him

Interesting.
That is a bad contract to sign, especially when he signed it he was in the peak of his career. His agent did not do him any favors by having essentially half of his total contract value to be paid in last 2 years of his contract with only 1 million of 32 million in guarantees .. sheesh

That is a bad contract to sign, especially when he signed it he was in the peak of his career. His agent did not do him any favors by having essentially half of his total contract value to be paid in last 2 years of his contract with only 1 million of 32 million in guarantees .. sheesh

It's not a bad contract. The last year was funny money for salary cap purposes. There was never any intent to pay the last year...

It allows the team to spread put signing bonus over more years for salary cap purposes and let's agent gloat about a "win" for a $75 million contract....

Running back isn't the position it used to be but his receiving ability expands that considerably. He led all RB's in rec ypg last year. (his total yds were limited due to only playing 13 games)

Now having said that over the last 3 seasons he's averaged 3.9 ypc which isn't great.

Kamara doing the same thing Taylor did here in Indy a year or two ago.
Make some waves with only one or two years left on your contract (one or two years that have little to no guaranteed money as most NFL contracts do) to push team management / ownership into a new contract early to hopefully get an additional year or two with a higher guaranteed payout.
It worked out ok for both sides here in Inday as Taylor got more of that guarantee pay, whether he's injured or not, the Colts got to shift around cap space and pick up some needed pieces, and both sides won in the PR department.

That said, it could have went badly in the J. Taylor saga - I hope it doesn't for Alvin and he gets what he wants to finish out his career.

Off topic but Jacksonville just signed Trevor Lawrence to a new $275 million dollar contract extension.

Athletes's salaries are ****ing insane.
Lawrence's contract just blows me away - no trade clause, first year of 85 million guaranteed...all for a guy that has fumbled the ball MORE than any other player in the league the last three years in a row.

I mean seriously, what does one do with a check for 85 mill, other than give half to Uncle Sam ???

Lawrence's contract just blows me away - no trade clause, first year of 85 million guaranteed...all for a guy that has fumbled the ball MORE than any other player in the league the last three years in a row.

I mean seriously, what does one do with a check for 85 mill, other than give half to Uncle Sam ???

High living with his family and investment opportunities.

That is generational wealth.

Kamara doing the same thing Taylor did here in Indy a year or two ago.
Make some waves with only one or two years left on your contract (one or two years that have little to no guaranteed money as most NFL contracts do) to push team management / ownership into a new contract early to hopefully get an additional year or two with a higher guaranteed payout.
It worked out ok for both sides here in Inday as Taylor got more of that guarantee pay, whether he's injured or not, the Colts got to shift around cap space and pick up some needed pieces, and both sides won in the PR department.

That said, it could have went badly in the J. Taylor saga - I hope it doesn't for Alvin and he gets what he wants to finish out his career.

The difference is Taylor is 3 down back and the Colts were paying for ages 25-28.

The Saints, if they extended Kamara would be paying for ages 31-33.

View attachment 648405
Runningbacks who can catch and run are the new jewels of the NFL. I know a team that wears ORANGE that creates runningbacks just like that in their offense happy style of football. I pray Heupel’s offensive style translates into running backs being drafted. That would be a win, win, for everyone.

This will be Kamara's last year with the Saints. He could even get cut or traded before this coming season. His productivity has
been in decline for about three years. He's had injuries and the Saints offense has been crap since Brees and Payton left--but the Saints
aren't going to keep him after this season. I think he'll sign a short-term deal, his last, with a new team next year, if he's healthy. How much guaranteed money he gets will depend on what kind of season he has this year, but it will be probably be a modest amount unless he has a major bounce-back in productivity. He's in the running back nearing 30 with declining productivity stage of his career, and teams don't like paying players with that profile.

I reserve my opinions about millionaires complaining about money.

He signed the contract. Maybe read it next time, or get a better understanding of how the business that your are in as a profession works.
Gee I hope he can scrape by 🤣

People are dogging Kamara for wanting to renegotiate his contract when McCaffrey just did that exact thing.

He also had time left on his contract and was making very good money already and wanted more money and got it.

McCaffrey's exact words on renegotiating: Business is business. It's part of the game. Both sides were mutually respectful the whole time. Just proud and happy that we got something like this done.

What's the difference? Why dog Kamara?

Maybe McCaffrey should have read his contract better too?

Off topic but Jacksonville just signed Trevor Lawrence to a new $275 million dollar contract extension.

Athletes's salaries are ****ing insane.
Agree, especially compared to the president making $400,000/year, and fireman and cops making less than 50. Who is more important? 🤪

NFL contracts are the most hype over substance agreements in sports. Owners make a lot of noise about total value. All that matters is the guaranteed portion.
That said, AK signed a contract and knew the terms.
That's not how NFL contacts work. The teams often don't honor the terms of the contracts. Why should the players be held to a higher standard?

VN Store

Back