Tennessee not getting any love from EA Sports College Football 25

lol wow, so they think schools like Arizona, Memphis, Kansas, and Virginia Tech will all have better offenses than Tennessee this year? LOL. LOLLL. I look forward to the inevitable "yeah we effed up" admission, because boy did they ever eff that up. I realize they'll say "oh it's because it's based on individual player ratings" or whatever, but if that's the case, then you messed up on those player ratings, buddies.

Just for laughs, I grabbed Memphis's rankings to compare against Tennessee's (just to pick one).

Tennessee's offensive rankings playing in the Southeastern Conference -

2021 - 9th
2022 - 1st
2023 - 19th

Memphis's offensive rankings against whoever-the-hell they played -

2021 - 36th
2022 - 39th
2023 - 14th

But Memphis with have the 19th best rated offense and Tennessee will go unranked offensively. Sure. Sure, that tracks. Idiots.

Last edited:

The engagement farming thing seems possible.

Let's pretend for a second that EA is playing 4D chess for engagement and traffic/news.

First you intentionally underrank Tennessee. You get engagement from Tennessee fans, and even neutral fans, saying "how can you forget Tennessee?" Lots of articles written about it, looking at other teams to compare, etc. More press than you'd get otherwise.

Then you have some references to the rating slight on national broadcasts. Picture Herbstreit talking over Tennessee highlights saying "Tennessee scoring 45 at so-and-so stadium, not bad for an 82-rated offense." Lots of little in-jokes from commentary. More free publicity.

And imagine if Iamaleava's so good he gets Heisman talk? There's be SO MUCH commentary on how EA missed the mark with that guy. More free publicity though.

And then EA comes out with a big mea culpa some games into the season, puts out comments, explains the re-ranking system, how they'll handle things in the future.

Then EA updates the game and ranks Tennessee's offense so high that it pisses off the haters, who say "how can you rank Tennessee higher than us!?" Lots more articles written about it, more press than you'd get otherwise. "That's too much!" "Iamaleava's not a 91, no way!" Etc., etc. Even more free publicity.

A win-win for EA across the board. Makes EA College Football a part of the narrative for most of the season, if not all of it.

Unlikely? I agree. A bit much, a bit too conspiratorial. BUT STILL. I could see a company doing it. It costs them nothing, and keeps them in the conversation on a weekly basis - especially if you believe Tennessee will have a great year and think they're a true dark horse to make waves.

The engagement farming thing seems possible.

Let's pretend for a second that EA is playing 4D chess for engagement and traffic/news.

First you intentionally underrank Tennessee. You get engagement from Tennessee fans, and even neutral fans, saying "how can you forget Tennessee?" Lots of articles written about it, looking at other teams to compare, etc. More press than you'd get otherwise.

Then you have some references to the rating slight on national broadcasts. Picture Herbstreit talking over Tennessee highlights saying "Tennessee scoring 45 at so-and-so stadium, not bad for an 82-rated offense." Lots of little in-jokes from commentary. More free publicity.

And imagine if Iamaleava's so good he gets Heisman talk? There's be SO MUCH commentary on how EA missed the mark with that guy. More free publicity though.

And then EA comes out with a big mea culpa some games into the season, puts out comments, explains the re-ranking system, how they'll handle things in the future.

Then EA updates the game and ranks Tennessee's offense so high that it pisses off the haters, who say "how can you rank Tennessee higher than us!?" Lots more articles written about it, more press than you'd get otherwise. "That's too much!" "Iamaleava's not a 91, no way!" Etc., etc. Even more free publicity.

A win-win for EA across the board. Makes EA College Football a part of the narrative for most of the season, if not all of it.

Unlikely? I agree. A bit much, a bit too conspiratorial. BUT STILL. I could see a company doing it. It costs them nothing, and keeps them in the conversation on a weekly basis - especially if you believe Tennessee will have a great year and think they're a true dark horse to make waves.
Madden always updates player ratings and such throughout the season so I imagine EA will do the same with College Football since we now have real players in the game

EA Sports???? Oh my Lord. That anybody would pay one lick of attention to that ranking is amazing to me. More click bait. I mean they put Memphis on the list and their schedule outside of Florida State looks like something out of a Pop Warner league. They obviously don’t take opposition into account. Must be ranking them with no defense on the field.

EA Sports???? Oh my Lord. That anybody would pay one lick of attention to that ranking is amazing to me. More click bait. I mean they put Memphis on the list and their schedule outside of Florida State looks like something out of a Pop Warner league. They obviously don’t take opposition into account. Must be ranking them with no defense on the field.
This is the first college football game in 11 years and the first one to ever have real players. A lot of us who have been looking forward to the game would like some realism

Mind boggling to me that we didn’t make the top 25 offensive list

New qb is main issue most would say. Receiver Corp basically unproven. Meaning if two guys injured last year can play at a high level. TE position new folks as well. Two top running backs gone. So go figure why we rate low. Did that help possibly explain the lack of confidence in our offense?

This is the first college football game in 11 years and the first one to ever have real players. A lot of us who have been looking forward to the game would like some realism
Maybe I’m missing something and I’m probably too old for this discussion. “Real” players in a video game? How is that possible?

Reactions: EaglesVols91
Maybe I’m missing something and I’m probably too old for this discussion. “Real” players in a video game? How is that possible?
They’re now allowed to be in the game due to NIL. They get paid $600 and get a free copy of the game from EA. There are a few who opted out, most notably Arch Manning

VN Store

Back