Anyone want to take a guess at our two deep depth chart?

QB: Nico/Merk
RB: Samp/Seldon/Lewis
TE1: Ethan/ ND transfer
LT: Heard/Campbell
LG: Lampley/Sham
C: Mays/Lang
RG: Spraggins/Dayne
RT: Campbell/Warren
WR1: Bru/Matthews
WR2: Brazzell/Thorton
Slot: Squirrel/Staley

Edge: Pearce/Josephs
DT: Eason/Big E/Hobbs
DT: Big O/ONL/Stanford transfer
SDE: West/Weathersby
Mike: BYU transfer/Carter
Will: Telander/Spillman
CB1: Gibson/Matthews
CB2: McCoy/Matthews
Star: Thomas/Boo
FS: Turrentine/Slaughter
SS: MTSU transfer/Thomas
KR: Boo/Seldon
PR: Boo/Squirrel

Do we have any question marks and position battles going into fall camp?
No. I figure the coaches know what they're doing, and trusting them. Yes, because like any of you, I'n starved for Vol-ball, so anything remotely related to it is desirable. That said, my guess is the depth chart will reflect whoever earns their position battles.

Last edited:

This is excellent. Thank you.

Reactions: VolBalla2014
Since the secondary was of such a concern and we had a mass exodus, for those of you who pay more attention and follow more closely, how are we looking in the secondary compared to last season. I understand that, at one time, we had schollys left to hand out?

Seldon won’t be back until October maybe.
Bru and Thorntonstill needs time as well to get up to playing shape after healing.

Opening game

QB: Nico/ Jake
RB: Sampson/ Bishop or Keith
TE: Staes or Davis
SE: Matthews/ Thornton
FL: Brazzell/ Bru
SL: White / Nimrod
LT: Heard/ Duncan
LG: Sham/ Lampley
C: Mays/ Lang
RG: Spraggins/ Johnson III
RT: Campell/ Warren

LEO: Pearce/ Josephs
DT: O Lott/ Hobbs/ Simmons
DT: O Thomas/ B Eason/ Simmons
SDE: T West/ D Bailey
LB Carter/ BYU Transfer
LB Telander / Spillman
STAR: Jak Thomas/ Jord Thomas
CB McCoy / MacMurray
CB: Gibson/ Charles
FS: J Slaughter/ Boo
SS: Turrentine / Charles

KR Boo/ Lewis
PR White / Boo

Seldon won’t be back until October maybe.
Bru and Thorntonstill needs time as well to get up to playing shape after healing.

Opening game

QB: Nico/ Jake
RB: Sampson/ Bishop or Keith
TE: Staes or Davis
SE: Matthews/ Thornton
FL: Brazzell/ Bru
SL: White / Nimrod
LT: Heard/ Duncan
LG: Sham/ Lampley
C: Mays/ Lang
RG: Spraggins/ Johnson III
RT: Campell/ Warren

LEO: Pearce/ Josephs
DT: O Lott/ Hobbs/ Simmons
DT: O Thomas/ B Eason/ Simmons
SDE: T West/ D Bailey
LB Carter/ BYU Transfer
LB Telander / Spillman
STAR: Jak Thomas/ Jord Thomas
CB McCoy / MacMurray
CB: Gibson/ Charles
FS: J Slaughter/ Boo
SS: Turrentine / Charles

KR Boo/ Lewis
PR White / Boo
That’s really unfortunate about Seldon. Sampson must stay healthy.

ONL starts over Eason. ONL will be drafted. Probably in the first 3-4 rounds

Carter starts over Telander

Bailey will either be the starter or 2nd team at SDE

Since the secondary was of such a concern and we had a mass exodus, for those of you who pay more attention and follow more closely, how are we looking in the secondary compared to last season. I understand that, at one time, we had schollys left to hand out?
Fulmer would have had this figured out by now. He just needed a sabbatical! No sabbatical no secondary!

LT: Heard/Perry or Campbell slides over
LG: Davis/Sham/Karic/Lampley
RG: Sprag/whoever isnt playing LG
RT: Campbell/LJ3 is reportedly having a good offseason
Qb: Nico/Gaston “Shooter McGavin” Moore
Rb: Sampson/Bishop or Keith with Seldon at the 2 whenever he gets back
TE: Davis/ Staes
WR: Bru/Brazzell
Slot: Squirrel/Nimrod
WR: Webb/Thornton

Leo: JP/Josephs
DT: ONL/Eason
DT: Thomas/Hobbs
DE: West/Bailey
LB: Pili/Telander
LB: Carter/Perry
Star: Jourdan Thomas/Boo
SS: Turrentine/Brooks
FS: Slaughter/ Jakobe Thomas
Cb: Gibson/Matthews
Cb: McCoy/Harrison or McMurray

That’s really unfortunate about Seldon. Sampson must stay healthy.
Yeah I hate it for him, but sometimes the body just doesn’t act right. Jabari Small dealt with a similar issue as did Darrin Kirkland Jr.

However, our RB room is solid.
Sampson looks to breakout like Wright did last season.
Bishop is the guy everybody is sleeping on, but ended the spring as #2. He showed he could block, catch, runs down hill with really strong leg drive.
Keith is a big nimble RB that is learning the value of using his size to convert on short yardage.
Lewis is a breakaway threat.

Most schools would love to have a backfield with those 4 guys. Throw in a healthy Seldon and it becomes a great RB room

LT: Heard/Perry or Campbell slides over
LG: Davis/Sham/Karic/Lampley
RG: Sprag/whoever isnt playing LG
RT: Campbell/LJ3 is reportedly having a good offseason
Qb: Nico/Gaston “Shooter McGavin” Moore
Rb: Sampson/Bishop or Keith with Seldon at the 2 whenever he gets back
TE: Davis/ Staes
WR: Bru/Brazzell
Slot: Squirrel/Nimrod
WR: Webb/Thornton

Leo: JP/Josephs
DT: ONL/Eason
DT: Thomas/Hobbs
DE: West/Bailey
LB: Pili/Telander
LB: Carter/Perry
Star: Jourdan Thomas/Boo
SS: Turrentine/Brooks
FS: Slaughter/ Jakobe Thomas
Cb: Gibson/Matthews
Cb: McCoy/Harrison or McMurray

I like it...only thing I disagree on is WR. I do not see Webb starting ahead of Thornton and Brazzell.

I like it...only thing I disagree on is WR. I do not see Webb starting ahead of Thornton and Brazzell.
Webb has already proven he belongs. He (and Nimrod) has gotten better over time. That’s why I put him in the starting rotation. It wouldn’t surprise me if Thornton and Brazzell end up starting but are unproven atp.

Reactions: FBtime
Webb has already proven he belongs. He (and Nimrod) has gotten better over time. That’s why I put him in the starting rotation. It wouldn’t surprise me if Thornton and Brazzell end up starting but are unproven atp.

Agree he's a solid option but neither he nor Nimrod have proven to be much more than that. Brazzell at Tulane and in Spring game showed really good downfield speed and playmaking ability. Thornton was coming into his own at the end of the season before his injury and with him being exclusively on the outside now I think he picks back up where he left off.

Agree he's a solid option but neither he nor Nimrod have proven to be much more than that. Brazzell at Tulane and in Spring game showed really good downfield speed and playmaking ability. Thornton was coming into his own at the end of the season before his injury and with him being exclusively on the outside now I think he picks back up where he left off.
I sincerely hope they take over and ball out. Nico will be in hog heaven with those two big bodies in the SEC. Thornton definitely looked like he was about to turn a corner against Misery before the injury. How has he recovered? Early reports have been high on him.

Brazzell looked fantastic in the O&W game. Has he had the offseason needed to learn the playbook/offense? I hope so because if he has then I think we see the O back to the 22 style of execution with wide open WRs for TDs and confused Dbs.

Webb and Nimrod were both underclassmen, both caught more passes than Thornton, and this is their third year in the program, so I'm not counting them out yet.

I also think there may be more rotation than we've ever seen in Heup's O due to the depth and talent of the WR room. We may actually see Staley and Matthews sooner than later, with definitely two groups and possibly three touching the field per game. Its a nice problem to have.

Reactions: FBtime
I think Thornton may be getting squeezed out. Yes, he did improve until the injury. But I think he was brought here based on potential, and based on who has since been recruited and transfers coming in, better production and equal young talent will potentially limit his playing time.

I think Thornton may be getting squeezed out. Yes, he did improve until the injury. But I think he was brought here based on potential, and based on who has since been recruited and transfers coming in, better production and equal young talent will potentially limit his playing time.

I do not think so based on this from Kelsey Pope in the spring:
Once we got him outside, he looked a little bit more natural,” wide receivers coach Kelsey Pope said, “and it was unfortunate that he dealt with that injury right after that transition, but he’s picked up right where he left off. He’s been consistent this spring. He’s been playing fast. We’re trying to make sure we’re watching his player load and his volume to make sure we keep him healthy, but he’s competed at a high level.

“He’s had really good energy this spring. He’s done a great job of leading us as well. He’s vocal in that room. A lot of guys look to him for answers and advice. He’s done an awesome job of being able to be that leader for us – one of those leaders for us – so far.”

VN Store

Back