Dayne Davis Appreciation

knox73

Ready for a championship season from Dayne!

From recent news article:

BLUFF CITY — Dayne Davis is an inspiration to many in the Sullivan East community.
They’ve seen Davis go from a walk-on for the University of Tennessee football team to a solid starter who was named SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week after the Vols racked up 617 yards in a win over Vanderbilt last November.
Still, the roots in Bluff City run deep for the redshirt senior. He talked about what it meant when his former high school hosted the third annual Dayne Davis Football Camp weeks ago.
Football, basketball, there are a lot of great memories playing with a lot of great guys,” Davis said. “It’s great to come back here and see the kids who are able to inherit the beautiful field they now have. To have camp here with all the kids, it was awesome.”
There’s certainly a close relationship with Davis and his former basketball coach, John Dyer, for whom the Patriots’ home gym is named. Davis, now at 6-foot-7 and 325 pounds, was a standout in both sports for Sullivan East.

On the court, he was the Patriots’ all-time leading rebounder, but talked about how Dyer’s influence went well beyond the court.
“There was accountability, trustworthiness, that was Coach Dyer’s motto,” Davis said. “We played together as a family, as a team. He always stressed family and my four years playing basketball here was great. I have a ton of memories with the guys I played with and wouldn’t trade it for anything.”
He has created more great memories as a Vols football player. Davis used those lessons learned at East of being a great teammate and applied it in Knoxville. One example is the relationship with receiver Bru McCoy, who he supported after a severe ankle injury. McCoy was one of the players who supported Davis by showing up at the football came.
“Bru is a fierce competitor. He’s a guy who probably thought he was going to the NFL last year and then had to go through that injury,” Davis said. “He comes to work every day like it’s his last. We try to stress that to the young guys that you never know when it could be over, when something can happen. I’m really excited for him this season.”
Over his career, Davis has done whatever needed to be on the field. He was part of the special teams unit, on the field when Chase McGrath kicked a game-winning field goal in the Vols’ 52-49 victory over Alabama in 2022.
Davis has also played all five positions on the offensive line.
“That’s not desirable, but it’s the position I’ve put myself into knowing the offense the way I do,” Davis said. “But hey to get on the field, I will do anything to do it. Tackle is where I’ve played the most football at and my home where I’ve built my knowledge of the offense from.”
The Vols have a veteran line coming back which includes center Cooper Mays, guards Jackson Lampley and Javontez Spraggins and left tackle John Campbell Jr. Davis believes it’s important to have that veteran leadership under Coach Josh Heupel’s offense.
“With our offense as fast as it goes, it’s easy to get it backwards,” Davis said. “When they call a directional play, a guy will flip on the right or left side and get it backwards. To be able to process all that and play the different techniques, tackle is different from guard and guard is different from center.”

Not sure where he will end up on the OL (LG or RG atp) but he will be needed this season.
Very versatile kid so likely will be rotational backup for all positions; back up center, back up tackle and possibly back up guard too if the need arises. He may still win the starting guard job as well.

Folks from Bluff City, TN are a special breed. My Freshman year at UT was 1975 and across the hall in Hess lived Mike Early, who was born & raised in Bluff City. Mike grew up with not very much but, was determined to make it in college. Growing up, he had 17 dogs - most of which got killed, shot, run over or ran away. Mike had several dirt bikes, which led to him having rods in one of his legs and a plate in his head. His mom and dad couldn't have been any more welcoming as was his younger brother and sister. Mike drove a 3 speed 1969 Cougar at speeds over 100mph on a regular basis - twice w me on the floorboard praying. They lived in the shadow of Bristol race track as the noise from the track filled the star filled night's air. After our first semester, I vividly remember asking Mike what his GPA was. Mike kinda shook his head and said that he had a hard time adjusting to living in a big city and being away from his girlfriend Gretchen. He sheepishly said his GPA was a .40 (out of a 4.0) but, he was gonna do better our second semester. I asked him what his major was and he said as confidently as a young man could, Pre Med.

Mr. Davis, I am personally going to look for you on the field every time the Vols have the ball this Fall. Thank you for your dedication to the Volunteers and congrats on representing a very special part of East Tennessee.

Go Vols!!

He is the first backup at center, guard and tackle..

Sup Larry. What an accomplishment for this young man to work his way into both a scholarship and significant playing time. Every time he takes a snap at any of those 3 positions he has beaten out at least one 4* player to be there...and usually several 4* guys at each position. That doesnt happen without a whole lot of hard work, determination, playing hurt, and being smart enough to know what EVERY position on the Oline needs to do on every play, versus any defensive front and formation. This guys obviously sharp and I am sure he will be successful at whatever career he chooses after football. We are lucky to have him, and I am proud to call him a fellow VFL.

A very solid player who provides depth all across the offensive line. A true Volunteer who gives his all for Tennessee.......also, very valuable in buying extra rest time for the defense after another quick score by the offense. He is able to sell the injury on the extra point better than anyone in the program.

Ready for a championship season from Dayne!

From recent news article:

BLUFF CITY — Dayne Davis is an inspiration to many in the Sullivan East community.
They’ve seen Davis go from a walk-on for the University of Tennessee football team to a solid starter who was named SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week after the Vols racked up 617 yards in a win over Vanderbilt last November.
Still, the roots in Bluff City run deep for the redshirt senior. He talked about what it meant when his former high school hosted the third annual Dayne Davis Football Camp weeks ago.
Football, basketball, there are a lot of great memories playing with a lot of great guys,” Davis said. “It’s great to come back here and see the kids who are able to inherit the beautiful field they now have. To have camp here with all the kids, it was awesome.”
There’s certainly a close relationship with Davis and his former basketball coach, John Dyer, for whom the Patriots’ home gym is named. Davis, now at 6-foot-7 and 325 pounds, was a standout in both sports for Sullivan East.

On the court, he was the Patriots’ all-time leading rebounder, but talked about how Dyer’s influence went well beyond the court.
“There was accountability, trustworthiness, that was Coach Dyer’s motto,” Davis said. “We played together as a family, as a team. He always stressed family and my four years playing basketball here was great. I have a ton of memories with the guys I played with and wouldn’t trade it for anything.”
He has created more great memories as a Vols football player. Davis used those lessons learned at East of being a great teammate and applied it in Knoxville. One example is the relationship with receiver Bru McCoy, who he supported after a severe ankle injury. McCoy was one of the players who supported Davis by showing up at the football came.
“Bru is a fierce competitor. He’s a guy who probably thought he was going to the NFL last year and then had to go through that injury,” Davis said. “He comes to work every day like it’s his last. We try to stress that to the young guys that you never know when it could be over, when something can happen. I’m really excited for him this season.”
Over his career, Davis has done whatever needed to be on the field. He was part of the special teams unit, on the field when Chase McGrath kicked a game-winning field goal in the Vols’ 52-49 victory over Alabama in 2022.
Davis has also played all five positions on the offensive line.
“That’s not desirable, but it’s the position I’ve put myself into knowing the offense the way I do,” Davis said. “But hey to get on the field, I will do anything to do it. Tackle is where I’ve played the most football at and my home where I’ve built my knowledge of the offense from.”
The Vols have a veteran line coming back which includes center Cooper Mays, guards Jackson Lampley and Javontez Spraggins and left tackle John Campbell Jr. Davis believes it’s important to have that veteran leadership under Coach Josh Heupel’s offense.
“With our offense as fast as it goes, it’s easy to get it backwards,” Davis said. “When they call a directional play, a guy will flip on the right or left side and get it backwards. To be able to process all that and play the different techniques, tackle is different from guard and guard is different from center.”

Davis would be a solid high school football staff member.

VN Store

Back