Vanilla offense

Swiftybaby

Just iss side maynardville
It’s the 5th of July and I’m off work and it’s raining. Boredom setting in. Here ya go.
Do we keep it vanilla against NC state and take care of business, while saving the goods for OU? Or do we flex and rout them?
PS this is hypothetical and hopefully we don’t have to throw the book at nc state for a win.

It’s the 5th of July and I’m off work and it’s raining. Boredom setting in. Here ya go.
Do we keep it vanilla against NC state and take care of business, while saving the goods for OU? Or do we flex and rout them?
PS this is hypothetical and hopefully we don’t have to throw the book at nc state for a win.
NC State is better than that.

I think they’re a good team but also feel like we should beat them by at least 2 scores. Maybe thats just the optimist in me.
I'd probably agree with that. It wouldn't really surprise me to see us win by 10+. I just think it's going to take the whole playbook to do it. We're not going to be able to just run it at will and throw a few screens.

I'd probably agree with that. It wouldn't really surprise me to see us win by 10+. I just think it's going to take the whole playbook to do it. We're not going to be able to just run it at will and throw a few screens.
I think with Nico we won’t be limited to that. Not a knock at Joe either

Reactions: Smokey19rt
OP, I think the question is actually this:

Q). With the 12 team playoff is it more important than ever to blow every team you can away in case you are not one of the Top 2 or 3 in SEC in order to make your case that you have to be included in playoffs?

A). Blow everyone out you can so your case is clearly stated that you belong in Top 12.

OP, I think the question is actually this:

Q). With the 12 team playoff is it more important than ever to blow every team you can away in case you are not one of the Top 2 or 3 in SEC in order to make your case that you have to be included in playoffs?

A). Blow everyone out you can so your case is clearly stated that you belong in Top 12.
Did not even think of that. But I believe style points won’t count as much with it being 12 teams now

Reactions: Just a VolinTears
This seems like an obvious answer but we should use whatever it takes to beat them (comfortably if possible).

NC State is a good football team. I'm sure there will be a large portion of the board in meltdown mode because most are underestimating them.

^This. NC State is going to be good, and regardless of what the TV execs are calling it, it will likely be a home game for them. We should win the game, but their QB is talented and they will test us. If we win and we were to win the game easily, that would tell us a lot about who we will be this season.

I think they’re a good team but also feel like we should beat them by at least 2 scores. Maybe thats just the optimist in me.
Not with a Vanilla offense. You try that with that team, and they kick our patootie. However, I start out with a run heavy offense to see if our OL can push them around,and gorge them for major yardage. If you, let that be our calling card for the game. If not, go nuclear. Trust me, playing pattycake with NCST is baaaaddd idea.

But one thing I'd like to try. If it doesn't upset the QB room. Let Nic sit for the whole or just part of the 1st half. Put Gaston Moore out there to see how it goes. I think he'd be very effective. If good enough go a whole quarter before wee Nic, I think it forces OU to prepare for both QBs, but we throw a full Nic at them. Crazy idea, but I was a sane person.

Last edited:
In the past, we played "vanilla" against some small teams and got em handed to us.

Open up and kill em
Hmmm. I kind of like that. Do it, and instead of referring to the UT offense as the Heupel offense, we call it Murder Incorporated. I mean, the Yankees used to have a line-up called Murderers' Row didn't they?

Yes. We will only allow Nico to run and throw TD's. Nothing else.

I've never been a fan of "holding back". I'd rather run, throw deep and throw flats to win.

If you've got a play or two that may be helpful in 3rd and 10-15, I might save that for OU. Otherwise I'd get practice at all the other plays.

I'd also take a lesson from Michigan. Misdirection, set-up schemes and proper blocking assignments will win you a lot of games. You don't need a 5* QB to do it (but it doesn't hurt).

VN Store

Back