Phil Steele Picks Tennessee # 24

At first when I saw the headline, I was like “no way- that’s BS- even though I find that Steele really know his stuff- he’s wrong on this for sure”

Then, I looked at the list ….. I think he’s probably right as usual - all the teams ahead of us are stacked - I think we might be better than Oklahoma…. But maybe not.

Reactions: vol94 and TNRazor

17) Tennessee Volunteers​

Those in Knoxville have seemingly named Nico Iamaleava the chosen one, and with Josh Heupel running the show, it’s hard to dispute them. There are solid starters at every position on offense, and the defense returns many of its first-teamers from 2023, including game-altering EDGE James Pearce Jr.

Tennessee went 9-4 with Joe Milton at the helm — if Iamaleava lives up to the hype, a 10+ campaign is well within reach.

16) North Carolina State Wolfpack​

The Wolfpack won five of their last six games to finish 9-4 last season, and that momentum should carry over to 2024. The quarterback room hasn’t exactly been the modicum of consistency for the Wolfpack, but Dave Doeren has rectified the issue by bringing in Coastal Carolina’s Grayson McCall.

The three-time Sun Belt Player of the Year is surrounded by 2023 ACC Rookie of the Year WR Kevin Concepcion, UConn’s 2023 receiving yards leader TE Justin Joly, and Duke transfer RB Jordan Waters. Although the defense lost some veteran leaders, namely LB Payton Wilson and EDGE Davin Vann, CB Aydan White can generate turnovers independently.
Early start for BVS

Doesn't this just reflect roughly the level of recruiting in the SEC? Meaning, TN has been really good in talent acquisition under Heupel - but not elite. Seems like a pretty simple way to become an "expert" football analyst.
Yes but the wild card for heupel’s system is having a legit QB. we can be solid in recruiting and as long as we land the right QB, we can beat anyone. Most other teams can’t say that. Putting Nico at Florida, TAMU, etc doesn’t mean they can beat Georgia. But Nico at Tennessee give the Vols a chance to beat Georgia.

I'm tempted to believe Texas is a little high. But I think that's because their schedule is like a welcome gift from the conference. I think the money interests really want them to have a successful first season. I don't see them losing more than 3 (more likely 2). Even so, their transition may be a little more difficult than they might be expecting.

Other than that, I don't see anything to get worked-up about. We're going to have to prove it on the field, either way.

And, He has the Vols tied for 5th in the SEC with lsu, mizzou, & Okla.
1. uga
1.Texas
3.bama
4. omiss
5.lsu
5.Mizz
5.okla
5.UT
I think Ole Miss finally beats Bama this year.
I think they are better than Texas too.

I have no problem where Tennessee is ranked in this group, but I do believe Tennessee is a capable of beating all of those teams.

A lot of good QBs are returning. This is basically saying Tennessee is at best the 5th best team in the toughest conference. That means we’re border line Top 10 team. And as I said, we could beat any of those teams if our passing game gets its mojo back from 2022

Where would Clemson or Penn State be ranked in this group?

I think Ole Miss finally beats Bama this year.
I think they are better than Texas too.

I have no problem where Tennessee is ranked in this group, but I do believe Tennessee is a capable of beating all of those teams.

A lot of good QBs are returning. This is basically saying Tennessee is at best the 5th best team in the toughest conference. That means we’re border line Top 10 team. And as I said, we could beat any of those teams if our passing game gets its mojo back from 2022

Where would Clemson or Penn State be ranked in this group?
Ole Miss Bama don't play each other this year

Yes but the wild card for heupel’s system is having a legit QB. we can be solid in recruiting and as long as we land the right QB, we can beat anyone. Most other teams can’t say that. Putting Nico at Florida, TAMU, etc doesn’t mean they can beat Georgia. But Nico at Tennessee give the Vols a chance to beat Georgia.
Good qb play leads to W’s and excitement. Hooker for us two years ago and Daniels last year for LSU. I think we will quietly surprise some prognosticators

Reactions: norrislakevol
Ole Miss seems overhyped to me and I wouldn't be thst surprised if Missouri and Texas crash and burn as well. They all 3 have soft schedules but I have seen teams struggle sometimes against softer schedules.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
At first when I saw the headline, I was like “no way- that’s BS- even though I find that Steele really know his stuff- he’s wrong on this for sure”

Then, I looked at the list ….. I think he’s probably right as usual - all the teams ahead of us are stacked - I think we might be better than Oklahoma…. But maybe not.
He's not as good as he used to be not sure what changed but very noticeable. IMO about 6 teams in the SEC have the talent to make the 12 team P Off the main factor will be which team has a QB that has Heisman numbers. UGA & Bama have the best players but after that it will be whose QB and coaching takes that big step.

VN Store

Back