Level of Defensive Back Talent

.I believe that this year's backfield talent and size will make a large difference in coverage. We have not had the speed to re-connect if a first step or angle lately.If volnation wishes to see what a great defensive backfield was,look at 1970 and 1971.Other years were very good also,but,37 int's in70,30 int's in 71 with six td's.Cb's Conrad Graham and David Allen along with Tim Priest,Bobby Majors at safety.The student section and most of the rest of the crowd would stand and chant something like "throw it"or "oskie". Ten game seasons.

From what I’ve heard we have upgraded athletically. McCoy, Gibson, and Matthews are all as good or better athletes than Hadden (who was the best we had last year).

We’ll see about their tackling ability, but we should be able to run and cover better than we have the past few years. Beasley is another impressive athlete who has elite leaping ability, and will bring some physicality to the position once he gets back from injury. I’m expecting Turrentine to have a nice year, and Boo Carter may be one of the best athletes on the team. Jury is out on Jakobe Thomas, Jourdan Thomas, Jalen McMurray, and the rest. We’ll see how well they mesh.

Last edited:
From what I’ve heard we have upgraded athletically. McCoy, Gibson, and Matthews are all as good or better athletes than Hadden (who was the best we had last year).

We’ll see about their tackling ability, but we should be able to run and cover better than we have the past few years. Beasley is another impressive athlete who has elite leaping ability, and will bring some physicality to the position once he gets back from injury. I’m expecting Turrentine to have a nice year, and Boo Carter may be one of the best athletes on the team. Jury is out on Jakobe Thomas, Jourdan Thomas, Jalen McMurray, and the rest. We’ll see how well they mesh.
Pretty much this.. Added a lot more athletic kids.

.I believe that this year's backfield talent and size will make a large difference in coverage. We have not had the speed to re-connect if a first step or angle lately.If volnation wishes to see what a great defensive backfield was,look at 1970 and 1971.Other years were very good also,but,37 int's in70,30 int's in 71 with six td's.Cb's Conrad Graham and David Allen along with Tim Priest,Bobby Majors at safety.The student section and most of the rest of the crowd would stand and chant something like "throw it"or "oskie". Ten game seasons.
That backfield was something. I seem to remember we played an Air Force team in a bowl game. Their coach marveled at them. He said, if you throw a pass, those boys have as much a chance of catching it as your receiver.

That backfield was something. I seem to remember we played an Air Force team in a bowl game. Their coach marveled at them. He said, if you throw a pass, those boys have as much a chance of catching it as your receiver.
I dream of us getting back to that. A dream, I know.

But ... if our pass rush is pressuring the QB to ill-advised throws, I hope our DBs will be ready for that.

Love our boys, but our D-back talent has not been championship level in a long time.

Has CJH brought up the talent and depth for us to compete this year?
We still have a ways to go to get where we want to be.

- more speed than last year
Turrentine, Charles , Slaughter and Carter all bring playmaker ability and athleticism and to the safety spots.

At STAR, I believe both Jordan and Jacobe Thomas will bring physicality.

Gibson and McCoy are the starting CBs. Both young but talented. Behind them is a question mark in Matthew’s and a temple transfer.
Beasley and Goree round out the CBs

It’s better than it has been, but we’ve missed in recruiting quite a bit in these spots and have been heavily dependent on the Transfer portal just to fill gaps.

However, with our D-line they should play well regardless. Only Georgia will be able to really test them

I’m curious to see who the Top 10 DBs will be

I thi
I think the d line being elite will make the back end much better!

Love our boys, but our D-back talent has not been championship level in a long time.

Has CJH brought up the talent and depth for us to compete this year?

I keep waiting for Martinez to just field an SEC-quality secondary. I’d be happy with that. Way too many times, we’ve made no-name QBs nobody’s ever heard of look like All-Americans. As far as I’m concerned, this year is his last chance. But I’ve said that the past two years. Hope springs eternal and time will tell.

VN Store

Back