DB Class

Bgeezy

Forgive my ignorance. I’ve been off grid for awhile. Not been keeping up like I used to and wanting to catch up. Also not the type to start my own thread and clutter the RF, but I need some help here. Based on 247, here’s our db class

Cb
Poteat 88
Konanbanny (likely) 88
Redmond 88
Lewis 87

Safety
Hayward (likely) 93
Walton 88

I’m not a star gazer typically, but I would love any insight from those who have been keeping up. Are we expecting bumps for some of these guys? Are they ALL underrated? Not interested in smart azz comments, just looking for any insights. Would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Forgive my ignorance. I’ve been off grid for awhile. Not been keeping up like I used to and wanting to catch up. Also not the type to start my own thread and clutter the RF, but I need some help here. Based on 247, here’s our db class

Cb
Poteat 88
Konanbanny (likely) 88
Redmond 88
Lewis 87

Safety
Hayward (likely) 93
Walton 88

I’m not a star gazer typically, but I would love any insight from those who have been keeping up. Are we expecting bumps for some of these guys? Are they ALL underrated? Not interested in smart azz comments, just looking for any insights. Would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Redmond projects as a guy who can play S or CB.

Poteat can play CB or Star and was coveted by some DB gurus in Luke Fickell and Harbaugh (before he left).

Walton has only played a year or two of football and has crazy high upside. The staff identified him as a guy who is nowhere near his ceiling. His length and athleticism are elite.

Konanbanny and Hayward are highly rated. We’ll beat out FSU and UGA for those two guys, respectively.

This staff has a type. They like guys who are long and can play multiple spots in the DBackfield. That doesn’t always equate to high recruiting ranking by the website analysts, who a) aren’t ranking players based on fit to a system, but just generically; and b) aren’t the world’s best evaluators anyway….otherwise they’d be on a coaching staff.

Redmond and Lewis appear to be the lowest rated guys, but this staff identified both early, zeroed in on them, and got them in the boat early.

Our staff (and other staffs) like these guys a lot.

Poteat can play CB or Star and was coveted by some DB gurus in Luke Fickell and Harbaugh (before he left).

Walton has only played a year or two of football and has crazy high upside. The staff identified him as a guy who is nowhere near his ceiling. His length and athleticism are elite.

Konanbanny and Hayward are highly rated. We’ll beat out FSU and UGA for those two guys, respectively.

This staff has a type. They like guys who are long and can play multiple spots in the DBackfield. That doesn’t always equate to high recruiting ranking by the website analysts, who a) aren’t ranking players based on fit to a system, but just generically; and b) aren’t the world’s best evaluators anyway….otherwise they’d be on a coaching staff.

Redmond and Lewis appear to be the lowest rated guys, but this staff identified both early, zeroed in on them, and got them in the boat early.

Think you hit it spot on. To add on to Walton note, he’s not the only one newer to football. While Walton is really new to it, Konanbanny is pretty new as well. Darren Agu convinced him to play and come over to Rabun Gap to play as a sophomore.

Also would say for Poteat, his dad is a former NFL player and the CBs coach at Iowa State and he just developed TJ Tampa into one of the best corners in the country.

I think this class of DBs is going to be VERY good for us and they’re finally starting to stack talent now with guys like Gibson, McCoy, Beasley, Carter, etc being brought in recently too

Think you hit it spot on. To add on to Walton note, he’s not the only one newer to football. While Walton is really new to it, Konanbanny is pretty new as well. Darren Agu convinced him to play and come over to Rabun Gap to play as a sophomore.

Also would say for Poteat, his dad is a former NFL player and the CBs coach at Iowa State and he just developed TJ Tampa into one of the best corners in the country.

I think this class of DBs is going to be VERY good for us and they’re finally starting to stack talent now with guys like Gibson, McCoy, Beasley, Carter, etc being brought in recently too
I think Kaleb Beasley might be the most talented CB on the roster. Just doesn’t have any college experience. Yet. That kid really impressed me at Lipscomb.

Cb
Poteat 88
Konanbanny (likely) 88
Redmond 88
Lewis 87

Safety
Hayward (likely) 93
Walton 88

Redmond, Lewis, poteat, Walton, all examples of guys who committed early, have not camped a bunch, haven’t been focused on by recruiting services. Complete wildcards. Have to trust the coaches Evals. And the fact that they took them early and haven’t shown them the door implies to me that they like them a good bit.

The only true miss we’ve had in the db class this cycle is naheem Offord, a top 10 player in nation, who we wanted badly, going to Ohio state. Could make the case for daryus Dixon as well.

There are plenty of other highly rated guys going elsewhere that we were in the mix for and actually could have probably had, but in each situation we backed off long before a commitment was made, so don’t know they qualify as misses: shamari earls, jontae gilbert, Jordan young, Jaylen Moseley, Jaylan Morgan, Tim merritt, Cj jimcoily, Dwayne Galloway, Donovan Starr, carson Lawrence, Chris ewald.

Cb
Poteat 88
Konanbanny (likely) 88
Redmond 88
Lewis 87

Safety
Hayward (likely) 93
Walton 88

I’ll let you know when they get a bump!

Because then they’ll become MORE talented physically .

Hopefully they’ll be closer to your liking 👍

But if they don’t get a bump then they ain’t worth the time to report on 😂😂😂😂

Reactions: Bgeezy

You clearly didn’t read my op. Nothing in that post revealed what is or isn’t ’to my liking’. Was just looking for helpful info. Everyone in the thread gave it besides you. Preciate ya chiming in tho.

Such an unnecessary post. He was clearly sincere in the questions he asked. This is why you get so much hate on this board. With all due respect of course.

This is the season for CWM to step up and coach this group up.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

Cb
Poteat 88
Konanbanny (likely) 88
Redmond 88
Lewis 87

Safety
Hayward (likely) 93
Walton 88

Also depends on white site you look at. Every one is a 4* on atleast 1 site. But honestly, I put more stock in offers and who we beat out over rankings. Especially when all 4 ranking services can vary quite differently. Look at QB Faizon Brandon. On 2 sites he's the #1 QB in the class, #8 and #11 QB on 2 other sites.

How bored are you?
I’m replying to you 8 hours later 🫤

I don’t have time to be bored

It was friendly barb at a guy that quite honestly wasn’t being up front. Right???
I mean who says “I’m not a star gazer, but when are these guys getting a bump” 😂
That’s the very a definition of a star gazer!

Which is fine! The only reason I barbed him was because everyone was friendly.

No malicious intent.

Which I’ve already explained.
So if you believe I was malicious; but then turn around and NOT believe when I explain that wasn’t…well who’s fault is that?

So you’re choosing to look upon negativiely.

@allvolrecruiting bro…what is your deal man?
I thought we were past our “past”.
This guys says I’m bored and you like the comment? I’ve recently been very positive towards my you. What gives??

Cb
Poteat 88
Konanbanny (likely) 88
Redmond 88
Lewis 87

Safety
Hayward (likely) 93
Walton 88

Redmond and Lewis play great out of state games and in-state games this season. Milton has a very underrated QB.

High showcase games where they will get exposure to more or the country. Lewis is very good. Redmond is very talented
Redmond will go up and I think Lewis will be a 4 star at the end.

I don’t know about Walton, but the coaches like him, as they did Okoye at TE (just saying).
And the last time I watched his film it was an angle that I’m honestly not accustomed to viewing. Like “Techmo bowl”?

Heyward will be good wherever he’s put. And I think he’s pretty solid where he’s at.

Konnbanny is very gifted. He’s already a 4 star some sites, and he’ll probably be uniformed 4 star by the end.

Poteat is also good.

It’s a very good class so far, that continues to shore up the weakest part of our team.

Agreed. Pruitt holdovers are gone. We need to see marked improvement with the secondary.
Yes, we do need to see our secondary improve. But, personally, it is very hard for me to believe we'll be much better with Willie Martinez still coaching the group. Just not a fan of that guy.

Reactions: Volfan76
DB is the position we have consistently struggled in recruiting in the Heupel Era.. Hopefully Boo Carter seems like a potential star however in aggregate the last 3 DB classes haven't been good enough to compete against elite offenses

DB is the position we have consistently struggled in recruiting in the Heupel Era.. Hopefully Boo Carter seems like a potential star however in aggregate the last 3 DB classes haven't been good enough to compete against elite offenses
I don’t think we have struggled at recruiting DBs as much as some want to think. I think it’s more that our DB coaching (Martinez and Banks) has been below average to bad.

As BOT said I don’t think they’ve struggled. They just trust to play veterans so now we’ll finally be getting into these younger guys with the NFL length, athleticism and tools, and skillsets and have them playing. You saw that for the first half of the season when you had Hadden and GJL but now you got that at both corner spots and will have some depth with that after this class

I don’t think we have struggled at recruiting DBs as much as some want to think. I think it’s more that our DB coaching (Martinez and Banks) has been below average to bad.
CJH buying in to the purge of older squad members and adding 2 or 3 significant portal guys with no staff changes seems to differ with that ASSumption.

CJH buying in to the purge of older squad members and adding 2 or 3 significant portal guys with no staff changes seems to differ with that ASSumption.
Sorry but our pass defense had been below average since Heupel got here. That’s not assumption. That’s fact. Martinez and Banks are subpar DB coaches. Stats prove that out.

Sorry but our pass defense had been below average since Heupel got here. That’s not assumption. That’s fact. Martinez and Banks are subpar DB coaches. Stats prove that out.
Marked improvement this year with the retooled squad would absolutely prove it was the Jimmy’s and Joe’s. The leftovers and the reach newbies while under the NCAA threat no longer on the table. Real facts on the horizon in the form of trends back there. Flat or down you win, up you lose. Even with the amount of youth involved in depth. Got some athletes now.

VN Store

Back