ESPN Coaching changes to watch 100 days to women's NCAA basketball: Top contenders, players

Another piece of stunning journalism from ESPN.

Harper was fired for clear and obvious failures. Not because she didn’t reach the same level of success as Pat.

Same reason Holly was fired. Holly had a good win/loss percentage but had constant drama swirling around the program and no good answers for poor behavior or poor play.

Kellie had answers the first few seasons. The last season she did a lot of Holly talk with the “I don’t knows.”

I said directly after the MTSU loss that was it for her at Tennessee. You don’t lose to an in-state mid major like that at Tennessee and get away with it.

Last edited:

Harper was fired for clear and obvious failures. Not because she didn’t reach the same level of success as Pat.

Same reason Holly was fired. Holly had a good win/loss percentage but had constant drama swirling around the program and no good answers for poor behavior or poor play.

Kellie had answers the first few seasons. The last season she did a lot of Holly talk with the “I don’t knows.”

I said directly after the MTSU loss that was it for her at Tennessee. You don’t lose to an in-state mid major like that at Tennessee and get away with it.

Journalism & ESPN should never be used in the same sentence.
Just as UT's College of Communication & Misinformation should never again use the word Volunteers.

It’s also a bad take on what is achievable at Tennessee. There is no reason that a great coach cannot come close to having Pat’s success at UT because all of the resources are here to achieve that. This same writer would lament the firing of Mike Shula in 2006 claiming that it was not reasonable for an Alabama coach to have success like Bear Bryant did. These journalists are horrible at their jobs.

ESPN is a joke.

Holly lost her first game to Chattanooga.

She lasted seven seasons.

Hmm. You know, this reminds me. WIth Tennessee's middling performance the last few years, I haven't had many chances or reasons to gripe about women's basketball sports columnists.

It is my sincere hope that changes this upcoming season.

Also, on "Harper never having the level of success Pat had," the further away we move from Kellie Harper's Tennessee campaign, the more I feel for that 2021 team losing Keyen Greene. What was it? 19-1? 20-1? Horston and Burrell on the roster, and a big ol' super-senior in Green who could dictate the paint. And then Green went down and it was like the wind went out of their sails. High highs combined with low lows. Couldn't maintain it. Shame.

It’s also a bad take on what is achievable at Tennessee. There is no reason that a great coach cannot come close to having Pat’s success at UT because all of the resources are here to achieve that. This same writer would lament the firing of Mike Shula in 2006 claiming that it was not reasonable for an Alabama coach to have success like Bear Bryant did. These journalists are horrible at their jobs.
This. I’m convinced there are many in the WBB world that don’t want to see the Lady Vols make a comeback - including some in our own fan base. The LV program was the definition of mediocrity under KJH.

"The shot" at SC was not only a give away loss but a goodbye for Kellie.

Seems to me her recruiting is really what pretty much did her in. I mean, when there are years you barely squeeze into the NCAAT (a definite requirement at UT) and your recruiting of HS players are as bad as her's was, it's really just a matter of time with an AD like White.

however it happened the job was too much for both holly and kellie. too bad it took us a dozen years to determine that

able bodied coaches come in all types and i am glad that AD didnt restrict himself to hire within tight confines under which HW and KJH were hired

i am glad that AD didnt restrict himself to hire within tight confines under which HW and KJH were hired
Tight confines? Holly was Pat’s choice and Kellie was an easy choice. Way too much unnecessary drama conferred on these two hires.

💥 Boom!
…barely got it in before drama invoked…again. 🤣 👇

Last edited:
Seems to me her recruiting is really what pretty much did her in. I mean, when there are years you barely squeeze into the NCAAT (a definite requirement at UT) and your recruiting of HS players are as bad as her's was, it's really just a matter of time with an AD like White.

It was cumulative. There were many visible failures, both in coaching and recruiting.

The only people defending her are doing so due to her legacy as a LVFL. I respect Kellie and do feel she stabilized the program which was in upheaval when she took over.

She was not the longterm coach we needed though. For me I separate her LVFL legacy from her coaching in respect of Kellie. Those are two different versions of the same person. She was a hard nosed player and the perfect Pg for our dream teams of the 90s.

Her coaching prowess was questionable when she was hired and remained the same. Just is a mediocre coach, was before she was hired at UT, and will be if she continues in the field elsewhere.

(This will make everyone happy, watch ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️)

But her biggest issue is her tag along, do nothing husband.

Reactions: tbwhhs and DonDiego
It was cumulative. There were many visible failures, both in coaching and recruiting.

The only people defending her are doing so due to her legacy as a LVFL. I respect Kellie and do feel she stabilized the program which was in upheaval when she took over.

She was not the longterm coach we needed though. For me I separate her LVFL legacy from her coaching in respect of Kellie. Those are two different versions of the same person. She was a hard nosed player and the perfect Pg for our dream teams of the 90s.

Her coaching prowess was questionable when she was hired and remained the same. Just is a mediocre coach, was before she was hired at UT, and will be if she continues in the field elsewhere.

(This will make everyone happy, watch ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️)

But her biggest issue is her tag along, do nothing husband.Believe

I believe that to be true,,jmo. If she had a
Good assistant coach she might still be
Coaching the lady vols.

Reactions: VolBall09

Couldn't believe we settled for CHW. Regardless of who was pulling the strings. We were literally on top of the WCBB world as THE (well that other school too) premier program historically and currently.
Because of emotion and nostalgia, our leaders allowed the program to be turned over to someone without a SINGLE coaching win and no HC experience. I even spoke out about it, but was crushed instantly at the time.
Just think of the coaching options at the time. With AD leadership like we have today, we could have ordered almost ANY staff here that we chose. I don't like it either, but that hire was an complete disaster.

Reactions: Chippo and mcannon1
Tight confines? Holly was Pat’s choice and Kellie was an easy choice. Way too much unnecessary drama conferred on these two hires.

💥 Boom!
…barely got it in before drama invoked…again. 🤣 👇
well tight confines i mean gotta be a woman gotta be from the summit tree in my mind and maybe i am a lone wolf if you are a national brand and have a coaching change then you conduct a national search i believe in looking for the best possible candidate period in mens basketball john thompson retires from georgetown lets hire craig esherick at umass john calipari leaves that is fine lets backfill him with bruiser flint

Reactions: tbwhhs
The only ”journalism” anymore is relegated to “Op Ed’s“

It was an ominous sign of things to come.

Caldwell should be given every benefit of the doubt after the two previous lackluster hires that decimated the credibility of the program.

Holly was our Bill Guthridge, and Kellie unfortunately had it playing like Derek Dooley teams at times.

Not even. Guthridge took the Tar Heels to two Final Fours in three years and finished with a 80-28 record.

Do better. Do you even have a fan card?

I remember Guthridge as overall underachiever. UNC had just won the championship in 1997 and he took over a stacked team that still had Vince Carter and Antwan Jamison. His teams got progressively worse each season.

I was just as much a UNC fan at the time. He overachieved in that last Final Four year beating UT's Jerry Green team who was a strong favorite in the Sweet Sixteen. UNC fans wanted him gone because they felt he was a career assistant who inherited a program on cruise control and he was on the way to running it into the ground.

That's a major reason he only lasted 3 seasons because the quality of play decreased.

VN Store

Back