When does the schedule get released?

Was wondering the same here recently after the season ticket email landed. Tempted to buy this year.

Basilio just said he'll be talking about it tomorrow and it'll be on his blog tomorrow as well. Hearing the non conference home games will be bad.

bad in what way?

Weak opponents. I think he said it was the worst in the Barnes era, but I’d need to hear it again. I wasn’t listening closely. It was just over an hour into today’s show. I’ll see if I can find it in his archive.

He usually posts the blog at the end of the previous day, so “tomorrow’s” blog should be up in a few hours with the OOC games listed.

He says sneak preview of the SCHEDULE.

UT hasn’t announced it, but I have it.

“This is easily, easily the most nondescript, borderline bad non conference home schedule we’ve had in Barnes’s 10 years.”

I wonder if there's even going to be a third "major" non-MTE, non-ACC/SEC challenge opponent. Sounds like it'd be on the road even if one existed, but not having one at all would be rough on the non-conference SOS.

Memphis apparently has one opponent left to announce so I'm holding out hope it's Tennessee, so clearly tomorrow is going to be a disappointment.

Edit: Oops, forgot Miami in NYC which is apparently going to be on December 10th.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan1000
I wonder if there's even going to be a third "major" non-MTE, non-ACC/SEC challenge opponent. Sounds like it'd be on the road even if one existed, but not having one at all would be rough on the non-conference SOS.

Memphis apparently has one opponent left to announce so I'm holding out hope it's Tennessee, so clearly tomorrow is going to be a disappointment.
Memphis isn't playing us anytime soon. I dare them to prove me wrong, pretty please. I actually wish we'd schedule TSU more often also in football and basketball. Put them in the rotation as the instate cupcake for football instead of paying some out of state school to come get murdered (football). Basketball we could easily squeeze them in once in a while we haven't played them since 2015 and have only played them 6 times ever in basketball. I think we should play them at least as much as we play UTM and ETSU.

Last edited:
Memphis isn't playing us anytime soon. I dare them to prove me wrong, pretty please. I actually wish we'd schedule TSU more often also in football and basketball. Put them in the rotation as the instate cupcake for football instead of paying some out of state school to come get murdered (football). Basketball we could easily squeeze them in once in a while we haven't played them since 2015 and have only played them 6 times ever in basketball. I think we should play them at least as much as we play UTM and ETSU.
I wish we would schedule more big 12.

He says sneak preview of the SCHEDULE.

UT hasn’t announced it, but I have it.

“This is easily, easily the most nondescript, borderline bad non conference home schedule we’ve had in Barnes’s 10 years.”

Get the popcorn ready for the drop of this schedule.

This could be a better schedule than anticipated if a couple of OOC teams play above their pay grade.

Kind of over-promised and under-delivered:

Tennessee & Indiana Finalizing Deal For Game In Bridgestone:

The Vols and Hoosiers will face each other in a sanctioned exhibition game slated for Sunday October 27th. This is an off week for UT Football plus Texas Longhorns play at Vanderbilt in football the day before. This gives Barnes a chance to catch up with some old pals and friends. Indiana is projected to be better after spending a ton of money in the portal with acquisitions like Balo from Arizona. Will they fit together? Mike Woodson will bring a borderline Top 25 team in to play. Tennessee has never lost one of these exhibition games.

Tennessee will have 6 games of consequence in the non league. At Louisville under first year coach Pat Kelsey who did a really nice job in the portal, the Cards should make the tourney after getting out of the House Payne. Virginia in the Bahamas (my son Anthony likes this game). UVA will be pretty good but not great. Baylor or St. John's in the Bahamas. Baylor is pre-season top 10, St John's preseason top 20. Syracuse in Knoxville in ACC Challenge. Not a very appealing matchup. Vols should be favored at home by at least 10. On paper it's the biggest mismatch of the SEC ACC Hoops Challenge.

Miami @MSG. Very hard to tell what Miami will look like. Two years ago they made the Final Four with portal haul and last year they crashed and burned on takeoff. Larranaga is an excellent veteran coach. This will probably be a quad one game. At Illinois. They lost a lot but have a handful of talented young players. That will be a very tough place to play on a Saturday afternoon on the day of the Army Navy game. This is back of a two game stretch that includes the trip to MSG. Plus Tennessee will play 7 other games in the non league ... most of which are close to buy games. Tennessee had another game fall through versus a name brand Big 10 team that didn't work out. With this game having fallen through, Tennessee's home non conference schedule will be one of the weakest in the Rick Barnes era.

No he's actually correct. Our home slate vs non conference isn't going to be great.
Well the original post referenced the non conference schedule as a whole, not just the home slate. Overall that’s once again a pretty solid non conference slate, which has always been the case under Barnes.

Well the original post referenced the non conference schedule as a whole, not just the home slate. Overall that’s once again a pretty solid non conference slate, which has always been the case under Barnes.
Absolutely always solid overall... But I posted yesterday at noon and I specifically said home games.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Once again, judging by the OP, I think this likely comes down to the value of season tickets to your fanbase who are being asked to pay higher prices. A similar discussion was had last year after the announcement of season ticket restructuring and the home OOC schedule release.

VN Store

Back