Heupels history with Oklahoma (poll included)

How will CJH history with Oklahoma as revered player and terminated coach affect this game?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

DeepSpringsVol

Getting to prominence will take time.
I am curious how we feel Heupels history will effect the game Saturday night?

1)Getting fired is ammunition to wreck them
2)It's his alma mater so for sake of fans won't run it up
3)Nerves may cause him to coach tight
4)we actually believe coach speak and it doesn't matter who they are playing. All opponents get treated the same.

What yall think VolNation?

I’m under the assumption it is personal for him. But I also think that will just make him prepare harder and coach harder. I don’t think it will affect his in game decisions. “Competitor” as he would say. He will be just that Saturday and live by his words

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Heupel is a successful person. That means he knows better than to drag around grudges and negativity. Whether he's done it on a spiritual level (recognizing that God caused all things to work together for good) or just taking a dispassionate look at his life and recognizing all the coaching opportunities he encountered because OU let him go... I'm sure Heupel has told his "getting fired" story to players when they've encountered disappointment, setbacks, or even injustices. And I'm sure the lesson to his players wasn't "wait patiently for your chance at revenge."

But even IF Heupel secretly viewed this game as a chance for personal payback, the worst thing that could happen would be for his players to prepare for and play this game with that on their minds, instead of simply focusing on "playing at a high level" and executing each play, whether on offense or defense.

Oklahoma has been preparing some new wrinkles on defense especially for this game to go against this freshman QB. I'm positive they have at least two defensive plays, things Nico has never seen before, that they anticipate will result in a pick 6. OU knows they need their defense to contribute to their scoring, so this is central to their game plan.

This is real life, not some cheap movie plot. Taking counsel of our emotions is an adolescent way to navigate life, and never the way to success or security ...or a natty.

Coach Josh Heupel's journey took at turn right before he became a star QB at Oklahoma.

"When I was young and growing up, I knew the Lord, but I didn't love the Lord. And there is a fundamental difference between those two. I went to church on Sunday mornings. I went to a Catholic school until eighth grade. But I hadn't given God authority over my life."

I believe his faith and his principles have been the bedrock in his life, which have allowed Josh to blossom into the man and the coach he is today.

I am proud that our coach loves the Lord.

Athlete shares personal message of evolving faith

Last edited:
I personally know that Heupel scooped up all the extra game tickets from the coaching staff. Possibly some player tickets as well. I have been saying since the the NC St was a rout that you will see our real playbook this game.
I wll quote former Arkansas coach Houston Nutt when interviewed right before Lane Kiffin's first ever SEC coaches meeting " I am going in early to get a good seat and I got my popcorn" lol

Last edited:
I am curious how we feel Heupels history will effect the game Saturday night?

1)Getting fired is ammunition to wreck them
2)It's his alma mater so for sake of fans won't run it up
3)Nerves may cause him to coach tight
4)we actually believe coach speak and it doesn't matter who they are playing. All opponents get treated the same.

What yall think VolNation?
He will treat them like Kent st

I think he wants to beat every team by as many points as possible (outside of teams like chatt and Kent state) especially Power 4 schools

One thing I love about Heup is that he treats every team the same (case in point - the KSU game) of course there will be more emotions involved in this game because of his ties but I truly believe he treats this one no different than going on the road to Kentucky or Georgia. It’s a business trip mindset

I'm just hopin' the boys...The Team Leaders and the Team...take it on THEMSELVES to MAKE SURE this is a BIG WIN for their Coach Josh Heupel...

THAT will show you the "health of the Tennessee Lockeroom" moving forward.

Agree, I really doubt Hyp will say anything to the players about this game being personnel but the assistant coaches and players know without anything being said.

Reactions: TAF
Josh is a fierce competitor. There is an inherent "counting coup" and "keeping score" and "getting payback" facet to all competition.

Josh is also a smart fella. He knows who we're playing. The history--HIS history--remains vivid in his memory.

Those two points combine to this one: of course he's out for a little vengeance. It is not what drives him this week, it does not consume him, he's far too smart to go down that road. But he's aware.

And you know that crooked smile he gets every once in a while when he interacts with the media and has a devilish thought? We are gonna see that smile after we win Saturday.

Because Josh is a smart and fierce competitor.

Go Vols!

I believe that our coach is focused on one thing only, and that is adding another W to the Win column. After that happens, he will process his emotions about his time in Norman, and then smile. :)

Reactions: BruisedOrange
All I know is that I don’t think that being nervous and coaching tight are in CJH’s DNA. We might lose, but it will be with us being Uber aggressive and taking the fight to the opponent as always.

I love that about him.

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol

VN Store

Back