If Tennessee defeats Oklahoma….

Is it fair to say this team is the best the Vols have had since 2001 or is it too early still?

Side note - Pat Summitt is the best women’s basketball coach of all time, was good enough to be a men’s coach, and could easily have coached in the NBA. She left the world way too early.
2022 would still be better at this time of the season

Is it fair to say this team is the best the Vols have had since 2001 or is it too early still?

Side note - Pat Summitt is the best women’s basketball coach of all time, was good enough to be a men’s coach, and could easily have coached in the NBA. She left the world way too early.
To me, NO! They got to beat all three or two of the three of the following first. Bama, Ga, and Fla. Cause to me, OU is basically TAMU or USCe.

Last edited:

I feel like this is our best team ON PAPER since 2001, 2002 and 2005. 2016 roster was great but there were already suspicions that Butch Jokes was a fraud. Of those only 2001 produced.

Appreciate the kind words on Pat Summit.

Too early to say that. 2022's team beat ranked LSU in Death Valley, beat #3 Alabama at home, and got to 8-0 before having to take Ls from Georgia and Connor Stalions. Finished 11-2, won the Orange Bowl. That's the highest bar set since 2001.

Next on the list would be 2016, the Butch Jones team that had Alvin Kamara, Jalen Hurd, Jauan Jennings, Josh Dobbs, Jalen-Reeves Maybin, Derek Barnett, and Cam Sutton. Somehow Butch turned that pile of gold into 9-4. Sigh. Five star hearts.

If UT emerges victorious on Saturday, then I think it'd be fair to start asking where it could end up being ranked. It'd be on pace to slot in above 2016, with opportunities to jump 2022 in the future. Still a lot of football to go regardless. Alabama at home, Georgia on the road. Arkansas and Kentucky to play as well. Long road ahead.

I think it’s still too early. If we get beyond UGA with only one loss then maybe. But we must let the season play out.

This team is talented but we must win on the road, something we haven’t done in recent yrs.

We always seem to screw the pooch once a yr (Jr in 2022) and let one get away late in the game (Oklahoma 2016, Florida, 2nd half collapse bs Bama 2023).

I’m optimistic and think we win Sat! I’ll be there!

Last edited:

No. OU is 27 in total defense and 108 in total offense.

Just another game for us.

Best defense.
2nd or 3rd best offense.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

2022 was 11-2 and beat Alabama, LSU, & Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

2016 started 5-0, beating Florida, Georgia, and Virginia Tech.

2007 won the East & lost to eventual NC LSU in the SECCG.

2003 & 2004 also won the East.

If Tennessee beats OU, there is a chance it’ll be the best team since 2001, but it’s hardly done enough to claim that just by beating this OU team.

That's yet to be determined...22 was great year beat LSU and Bama then Orange Bowl W over Clemson. They were all better ranked than OU is now and finished well, so we'll see how your season goes after Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52
I think this team is better than 22 and 16. Better QB, just as good as RB, deeper at WR, better in the trenches, definitely better in the secondary. I think this team has a legit shot to go undefeated until the playoffs. Bama looks good but definitely an easier out than 22 Bama, and UGA just almost lost to UK.

Unsure why you're confused. He asked if after 4 games would this be the best team since 2001. I answered that at this point the 2022 team was better since we have no clue if the 24 team will actually beat anyone that matters. Hope that clears it up
By the same token, you had no idea if the '22 team would "beat anyone that matters"...not that I'd expect you to get that part.

Reactions: SoullessGinger32_

VN Store

Back