Tennessee Pass Rush

bpalmer28

Time to make an appearance.

All this talk about James Pearce Jr. and he’s got 1 tackle on the year. 0 sacks. As a team we are tied for 96th in sacks with 4. And it’s not because our opponents were loaded with NFL offensive linemen.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I have asked about why Pearce has been in a milk carton. And some have said teams are scheming against him. Well duh. When you have a guy line Pearce, teams are gonna scheme against him. And if NCST and Kent State can neutralize him, then we are in big trouble.

Unless Pearce really starts turning it on, this whole talk about him being a top 5 pick was nothing but hype. Very disappointed in his play so far. When you are as talented as Pearce is, you dominate regardless of the situation.

It’s just not really fair right now when teams are dropping back about a quarter of the time they regularly would. We will see a much more active DL sack wise this week, unless they also think they can get away with quick passes only. The only real passing threat we’ve faced so far was neutralized in 1Q (McCall) and they stuck with primarily rushing after he got hit hard a few times. Sample size, and such. Let’s revisit this thread in a month.

That said, coming out party for JPjr and Josephs on Saturday, book it. I want 5 sacks. They’ll be playing down a touchdown(+) most of the game so will need big plays.

All this talk about James Pearce Jr. and he’s got 1 tackle on the year. 0 sacks. As a team we are tied for 96th in sacks with 4. And it’s not because our opponents were loaded with NFL offensive linemen.

There’s pressure almost every snap.

The QBs are running and throwing the ball away. Or were so far ahead on the scoreboard that the offense is just running against us to chew clock.

We haven’t given up an offensive TD in 4 games.
4 games! That’s 1/3 of a regular season…

Stats don’t always tell everything. And Pearce has played maybe 50 snaps combined all year so far?

I just can't help but believe that some of our "lack of pass rush" has been somewhat "scripted" ie not showing what we really got? Maybe I'm dreaming but, well know after Sat. night..
I don’t understand how people are doubting our pass rush.

Have none of you actually been watching our games????????

That pocket is collapsing every other drop back.

Last edited:
I have asked about why Pearce has been in a milk carton. And some have said teams are scheming against him. Well duh. When you have a guy line Pearce, teams are gonna scheme against him. And if NCST and Kent State can neutralize him, then we are in big trouble.

Unless Pearce really starts turning it on, this whole talk about him being a top 5 pick was nothing but hype. Very disappointed in his play so far. When you are as talented as Pearce is, you dominate regardless of the situation.
That’s one big milk carton….

Reactions: TJSVOLS
Stats don’t always tell the story with Dlinemen. This will be the first full opportunity to probably get some sacks for Pearce. If not they’re probably holding and hopefully it’s called more times than it’s not.

Reactions: feathersax
Stats don’t always tell the story with Dlinemen. This will be the first full opportunity to probably get some sacks for Pearce. If not they’re probably holding and hopefully it’s called more times than it’s not.
So it can’t be that Pearce may not playing at the level he did last year? It has to be holding if he doesn’t get some sacks? It HAS to be holding?

So it can’t be that Pearce may not playing at the level he did last year? It has to be holding if he doesn’t get some sacks? It HAS to be holding?

Not necessarily only holding for the reasons he’s not been getting sacks. Multiple factors, double teams, lack of real opportunities.

Chattanooga he had 10 total snaps and there wasn’t a true drop back pass at any point while he was on the field. Played the run well.

NC State Was doubled teams a lot and even tripled team at times. However still managed to have some hurries and impact the passer at times, however NC state also didn’t have many down the field pass plays. A lot of quick stuff to negate pass rush. Also played run really well. Should have had one sack but over pursued the QB, only negative I saw through first two games. However still impacted the game overall.

Kent State. Not sure total number of snaps on the top of my head. Wasn’t much more than the Chattanooga game. Maybe mid to high teens? Would have had a sure sack on a one vs one but the tackle had the most blatant hold you’ll ever see and it was called. So that’s impacting the game.

All in all, I dont think it’s as simple as saying he’s not met expectations. This will be his best opportunity to get sacks all year, OU will try and pass it down the field more than our three previous teams combined most likely. If he doesn’t get sacks, nor holds, and isn’t being double teamed and opening up things for others, then yes it will be fair to debate it. But I have a feeling he’s gonna get a couple sacks, and/or holding calls that will impact the game. We shall see

Everyone is game planning for our pash rush. Even though the sack stats don’t show it, the impact of the D Line is huge. What’s our for rank PPG allowed? How many touchdowns have we given up?

Reactions: Vol_guy

Thus far there hasn't been an opponent to cross the goal line on offense. Let's worry about the pass rush once that actually happens.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Sat will definitely be good time for it.

If we were giving up yards and points while not reaching the passer then you would have a point. But right now we're 2nd in the country in yards allowed and #1 according to ESPN's defensive efficiency stat. The lack of sacks by Pearce and the team isn't an indictment of their play. If anything it's an indication of our dominance. Pearce has barely had to play because we've been blowing everyone out. And our opponents are so scared of our pass rush that they are rushing everything in the pass game and going max protect.

Once teams start playing us straight up rather than scared you'll see the pass rushers start to get sacks.

Why would you risk a guy with his talent getting injured when you know those games are going to be blowouts? Save him for the tougher games when his talent is really needed.

Reactions: saxvol
2 of the 3 games he has barely played. Also he creates a lot of opportunities for others with how fast he comes off the edge! He is fine 😎👍!
I know he just played 10 plays vs UTC and I think he played sparingly vs Kent State and after we started blowing out NC State. So, they are scheming against him when he's in there, they've showed iso's of double teams and other players unblocked making the tackles for UT. Guys like him shine in games like this weekend just watch.🍿

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Everyone is game planning for our pash rush. Even though the sack stats don’t show it, the impact of the D Line is huge. What’s our for rank PPG allowed? How many touchdowns have we given up?
So teams have the blueprint to neutralize Pearce? The thread is more about Pearce not the defense as a whole. The defense is doing great. Pearce hasn’t done anything really. Some of us are wondering why he hasn’t gotten any sacks through 3 games. He is an elite level pass rusher.

I think the sacks will show up eventually. If we get up by a couple of scores early, OU will have to try and stretch the field. Getting the ball out quick ,playing the dink and dunk scheme against our D along with trying to keep up with the points we are going to score is a recipe for disaster for OU and I think they know that.

My worry is OU has a mobile QB. We have to be cognisant of the rush lanes and don't allow him to escape a collapsing pocket. We've historically had enormous issues with QB's that can make plays with his legs. I hope that isn't the case on Saturday. If it were me, I'd have a LB spying him every single play.

Last edited:

"As a team we are tied for 96th in sacks with 4"

And we are #2 in overall defense. What are we upset about here?

VN Store

Back