Oklahoma vs Tulane Film Study

My concern is that this is a good team that hasn't figured things out yet. Hopefully that trend continues Saturday but I am not banking on it.
What about them screams good team? Their defense is good, but not great. They don't have good RB play. They dont have good OL play. They have issues at QB. What part of this team is good.

What about them screams good team? Their defense is good, but not great. They don't have good RB play. They dont have good OL play. They have issues at QB. What part of this team is good.

Their safety Billy Bowman, certainly (elite)
Solid edge rushers and DL overall

K was All-SoCon @ ETSU before going to FSU and now Oklahoma. He's got a 54-yd kick @ ETSU.

B
Not saying agree with him, but go down Oklahoma’s Roster.

I counted 20 guys that Tennessee also recruited pretty heavily on their roster.

Not saying agree with him, but go down Oklahoma’s Roster.

I counted 20 guys that Tennessee also recruited pretty heavily on their roroster.
We both know that development and scheme fit means way more than rankings. You can go down most teams rosters and see players that we recruited as well, doesn't mean that they panned out.

the OU DL is legit but only the starters. I think this is a close game through half and we start to pull away running the ball in the second half when the DL get tired from lining up so fast.

My concern is that this is a good team that hasn't figured things out yet. Hopefully that trend continues Saturday but I am not banking on it.
I have the same concern. People were saying Oregon could be in for a disappointing season until they figured things out last weekend beat Oregon State by 35 points. Prior to that they'd beaten Idaho and Boise State by a combined 13 points.

QB play is spotty along with other positions you listed. They are still 4-5 star players. I saw some drives against Tulane where they showed a lot of potential and others that were disasters. That screams youth. They are a young team.

QB threw for 361 yards in their bowl game last year in his first collegiate appearance. He's a former 5-star. Don't think he sucks as bad as his statistics indicate.

Comparing apples to apples Tennessee wins. But anyone that's been around or follows College football closely knows these big time road games can be tricky. They are going to have to be Lazer focused. I have the Vols in a close one.

Reactions: mpfvol
I hope we handle the road better than we did
at Florida. Norman didn't feel loud in 2014, but I know they did some stadium enhancements since then

Reactions: mpfvol
I understand what you are saying but teams normally don't start figuring things out against another great/elite team. It is no secret that Oklahoma has issues with it's offensive line in both the rushing game and in pass protection. Oklahoma has not had a good start to the season in terms of running the ball. Arnold is their leading rusher and a lot of that has come from scrambling out of collapsing pockets. OU's line has dealt with injuries so far and they just haven't been good. This is not a game you try to "figure things out" in going up against a D-line like Tennessee's. That is something you have to already have locked down to hold the Vols' front 7 from wreaking havoc in the Oklahoma backfield. We're just too good up front and too deep. They will have to rely on Arnold's arm and his legs while pairing that with a stout defensive performance Saturday. They will not be able to win this game if they get behind early. They will have to stay within striking range.

I wouldn't say the team is good yet, but they do have a very talented roster. More talented than ours overall, even. However, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. So while Tennessee has the better team at the moment, Oklahoma has, in general, more quality parts.

I'm not saying we lose, but if things click we could be in for a real dog fight on Saturday.

I understand what you are saying but teams normally don't start figuring things out against another great/elite team. It is no secret that Oklahoma has issues with it's offensive line in both the rushing game and in pass protection. Oklahoma has not had a good start to the season in terms of running the ball. Arnold is their leading rusher and a lot of that has come from scrambling out of collapsing pockets. OU's line has dealt with injuries so far and they just haven't been good. This is not a game you try to "figure things out" in going up against a D-line like Tennessee's. That is something you have to already have locked down to hold the Vols' front 7 from wreaking havoc in the Oklahoma backfield. We're just too good up front and too deep. They will have to rely on Arnold's arm and his legs while pairing that with a stout defensive performance Saturday. They will not be able to win this game if they get behind early. They will have to stay within striking range.

I do think our defense could have a field day unless their returning WR and OL really are impactful. My concern is how our offense holds up actually. Our passing game was iffy at times against NC State.

Maybe oversimplified, but my thought is we aren’t likely to score our average of 64 pts in this game, but I’m estimating we’ll get around half that. So giving us about 32 pts, do you think a mightily struggling O line with a significant number of injuries and an offense whose leading rusher is the QB is going to put up 32 pts or more against a Defense that hasn’t allowed a touchdown in 4 games? Not likely at all. This could stay close through a half, but I don’t see a nail biter here. Vols 34-17.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
thats because NC State dropped 8 guys in coverage 90% of the time.
Which resulted in us running the ball down their throat. The defense will have to decide what they want to defend and then we take advantage of what they're giving up.

VN Store

Back