BVS Fridays like clockwork

TheVolunteer002

I was just foolin' about
Here we are again. Friday before a big game, the BVS starts to kick in for a lot of people. I've been seeing it here, on r/ockytop, on the discord, etc.

I get it. I've been one of those dudes wringing my hands right up until kickoff, and white knuckling whatever I'm holding onto for four quarters. The thought of waking up Sunday morning with a big L just wrecks the whole weekend, and we've seen the Vols blow it on a big stage in the past with the entire country watching more times than I care to remember.

I just don't think it's going down like that this time. We should be confident going into this tomorrow. The boys are rolling right now. OU doesn't look as sharp as we do. Our offense is elite across the board, and JP and the boys are likely going to set up a charcoal grill in the back field on defense. These guys have shown they do not let off the gas.

It just feels like we're coming home with a fat W tomorrow. So some of y'all relax tomorrow, get yourselves some liquid courage if you need it, grab some good eatin, put your feet up, and watch the boys roll. We're about to do it.

People, this isn't 1997 and we ain't playing Steve Spurrier in the Swamp.

I get it. I have that creeping voice inside me too. I don't trust 30 point leads. Every time someone gets to Sampson from behind, I think "don't fumble PLEASE." Sometimes the announcer says "drops back to pass" and I feel my chest tighten. 20 years of futility taught us this misery. But Heupel ain't about that. He doesn't have time to worry about what happened a decade ago. He sent Alabama's streak packing in YEAR TWO, went into Death Valley and brained the Tigers, beat Clemson in the Orange Bowl, SKUNKED Iowa in the whatever-that-was bowl ... my point is, don't worry about. Tennessee's guys are bought in, they play with fire, and they are having fun blasting people off the line of scrimmage out there. Just take a breath and believe in that. Win or lose, we aren't going down there to wimp around. Tennessee's gonna give it their best shot. That may just be good enough. We'll find out tomorrow.

The BVS resonates with some of us, partly due to the Florida jinx (PF sold his soul for that '98 win). Along with everything from 2005 - 2021.

However, the medication CJH has provided is working well and appears to be 100% curable.

Reactions: njvols
Dick Wolf Stress GIF by Wolf Entertainment

To anyone suffering from BVS who needs to hear this. Absolutely nothing you do will have any impact on the outcome of this game and you are just making yourself and those around you miserable.

WGWTFA Vols by 50

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
People, this isn't 1997 and we ain't playing Steve Spurrier in the Swamp.

I get it. I have that creeping voice inside me too. I don't trust 30 point leads. Every time someone gets to Sampson from behind, I think "don't fumble PLEASE." Sometimes the announcer says "drops back to pass" and I feel my chest tighten. 20 years of futility taught us this misery. But Heupel ain't about that. He doesn't have time to worry about what happened a decade ago. He sent Alabama's streak packing in YEAR TWO, went into Death Valley and brained the Tigers, beat Clemson in the Orange Bowl, SKUNKED Iowa in the whatever-that-was bowl ... my point is, don't worry about. Tennessee's guys are bought in, they play with fire, and they are having fun blasting people off the line of scrimmage out there. Just take a breath and believe in that. Win or lose, we aren't going down there to wimp around. Tennessee's gonna give it their best shot. That may just be good enough. We'll find out tomorrow.
Lol spot on. I've felt all of those things you mentioned at the beginning of your post. All of them. It's not a good time.

Reactions: Voltopia
I wish I could say that I haven't had any doubt creeping in about tomorrow's game but it would be a lie. I AM mostly confident though and I do think we have the better team. One thing I will say, regardless of tomorrow's outcome, and that is it's nice to watch a competently run and coached football team again after all the blunders of past coaching and administration failures.

Reactions: adam.vol
To anyone suffering from BVS who needs to hear this. Absolutely nothing you do will have any impact on the outcome of this game and you are just making yourself and those around you miserable.

WGWTFA Vols by 50
You mean if it's not going well switching seats, turning your hat around backwards, and crossing your left leg over your right instead of the right over the left may not help us win?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
I was in the same mindset until I watched the OU - Tulane game last night. We are so much bigger, faster, stronger than Tulane and they were getting thru that o line like butter. OU plays faster on offense but it's not nearly as fast as us. Yesterday I predicted we win by 2 TDs but now if our O line can give Nico 3-4 seconds avg, we win by 3.

WGWTFA Vols by 50

This reminds me. In 2005 a buddy gave me a free ticket to go and watch the Illinois/North Carolina National Championship basketball game. We were sitting in the seats before tipoff and he was crazy nervous. I'm like buddy calm down. He said "It's really hard being in such a stressful situation when I have very little ability to impact the outcome". I laughed so hard at "very little". He refused to accept he had none! :)

You mean if it's not going well switching seats, turning your hat around backwards, and crossing your left leg over your right instead of the right of the left may not help us win?
Oh you should have mentioned you were going to turn your hat around as well as switching seats. That's not anything you did. At that point, it's just divine intervention

Reactions: TheVolunteer002
Here we are again. Friday before a big game, the BVS starts to kick in for a lot of people. I've been seeing it here, on r/ockytop, on the discord, etc.

I get it. I've been one of those dudes wringing my hands right up until kickoff, and white knuckling whatever I'm holding onto for four quarters. The thought of waking up Sunday morning with a big L just wrecks the whole weekend, and we've seen the Vols blow it on a big stage in the past with the entire country watching more times than I care to remember.

I just don't think it's going down like that this time. We should be confident going into this tomorrow. The boys are rolling right now. OU doesn't look as sharp as we do. Our offense is elite across the board, and JP and the boys are likely going to set up a charcoal grill in the back field on defense. These guys have shown they do not let off the gas.

It just feels like we're coming home with a fat W tomorrow. So some of y'all relax tomorrow, get yourselves some liquid courage if you need it, grab some good eatin, put your feet up, and watch the boys roll. We're about to do it.

This is rational and I should agree with you.

That being said, I like to feel like I’m a part of the program and if they players have reason to get nervous and amped at the same time, I want to feel it too. It’s going to be more fun when we prevail because I was concerned. I have never been more happy than when we scored 38 points on Kent State in the first quarter. That was exciting because I couldn’t have expected as much.

What’s the point in staying calm? To avoid depression when things go poorly? I’ve survived it many times already.

I'd like to add that the YouTube full game post of the '98 UT-Arkansas game just popped up on my feed earlier and I fast-forwarded right to the fumble moment! The poster appears to be none other than LWS from here I believe? Larry Smith? Anyway it is glorious and has brought a much needed boost for the day before GAMEDAY:

Reactions: Voltopia
I suppose this topic is about me. I naturally tend toward the "don't get your hopes up" mindset. Just how I am. I'm confident that the Vols have more paths to victory than OU seems to have. This game could go any number of ways and so much depends on more than just who looks better on paper.

I'd like to add that the YouTube full game post of the '98 UT-Arkansas game just popped up on my feed earlier and I fast-forwarded right to the fumble moment! The poster appears to be none other than LWS from here I believe? Larry Smith? Anyway it is glorious and has brought a much needed boost for the day before GAMEDAY:

"Shame on the people who were leaving Neyland Stadium."

I can hear it plain as day. Plain. As. Day. Etched into my soul. The eleventh maxim, at least in my brain.

ALSO - watching that video - amazing how the crowd is excited and everyone's into it without having crappy CD music crammed down their throats every time there's a stoppage in play. You can feel the moment a lot more clearly when they kickoff after taking the lead, as opposed to having to sit through another damned play of the Joker and the Thief on full blast.

VN Store

Back