A View from Big Ben: Oklahoma

London Vol

GAME 4 – OKLAHOMA 21 SEPTEMBER 2024

Tennessee had lost their last 29 games when they were away to a Top 15 team, until last night.

Just take a moment to absorb that fact, it should also help you park any disappointments regarding last nights tactics in a game that turned out to be more of an arm wrestle competition on a sodden pitch than a pyrotechnic light show. This wasn’t a big win, this was very big win.

I also wish to highlight that I had Oklahoma and NC State as the 3rd and 4th hardest games on the 2024 schedule before the start of the season, so today 10-2 is now very achievable and I think Arkansas is probably the hardest one left other than Georgia and Alabama. Barring major injuries Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and UTEP will all be big underdogs when its their turn to face the best Defense in the country (now how many of you thought that would be the national narrative of our 2024 Vols?)

QUARTERBACKS B
It has been perceived that to stop the Heupel Express it is best to play defense “soft and deep” which means only rushing 5 or 6 but thus allowing you to play 2 safeties deep. The logic of this is don’t give up chunk plays and make Tennessee go the long way (how did that work out Iowa and NC State?). Well last night Oklahoma did the opposite, they loaded the box and exotically blitzed many times trying to confuse and disrupt Nico and on several occasions this was successful (it will be interesting to see if this policy is replicated by others later in the season). Well, Nico had mixed results with this, the three long passes were pivotal to the scoring on the night but also the strip fumbles were a big negative. But I must say the pass to Donte Thornton for his 66-yard TD was a thing of beauty and just proved why this guy is elite. Even though last night was not perfect for No 8, he would have learnt so much and when you compare him to the other 5* QB on show I know which one won and which one was benched before half time.

RUNNING BACKS B
It was a really tough night for the RB`s, for not only with the loading of the box as expressed above, but the Offensive Live (see details below) were struggling to hold their own. So, to rack up 151 yards even on 52 carries was a good effort with both Dylan Sampson (I am pleased to see his blocking assignments were mainly completed which will help his draft stock) and DeSean Bishop again running hard and well. The rushing game was the cornerstone of the in-game policy of playing “big boy football” of 3 yards then dust followed by relying on a stifling Defense.

WIDE RECEIVERS A-
There were only 21 passes attempted so the stats were never going to be sparkly in the Box Score. But when called upon, the Wide Receivers answered the bell, none more so that Thornton whose had a back breaking TD and two long snares from Bru McCoy. Yet again the WRs seem to have sticky hands this season, long may this continue.

TIGHT ENDS B
Given the attacking nature of the Oklahoma Defense, the Tight Ends were needed to bolster the wall to protect Iamaleava, so this group were performing important but not easily acknowledged duties for most the evening.

OFFENSIVE LINE D
Going forward the most angst for the 2024 Vols fans is going to be the Offensive Line, or more accurately the Depth of the O`Line. I was very surprised that Lance Heard was a no go last night as all reports were that it was only precautionary that he missed Kent State and whilst I don’t like singling out players for criticism it must be said that Dayne Davis,(for all the feel good nature of his story) cannot uphold a Tackle position. It is imperative that both Heard and John Campbell arent out for the rest of this season otherwise the seasons potential can be very quickly derailed. It was tough night overall for the OL.

DEFENSIVE LINE A+

If Tennessee let Rodney Garner leave, then they are bark raving mad, what he has built will be talked about for years and last night was the latest example. We all know all the major names on the Defensive Line and All of them were brilliant, as borne out by the that fact that the Sooners rushed 34 times for only net 36 yards. Jason Moi, Tyre West, Daevin Hobbs and Joshua Josephs (a massive strip and fumble recovery) again showed that the cupboard will not be bare next season. But I must make a special mention of Jayson Jenkins who introduced himself to Volnation with 0.5 SACK, 1.5 TFL and a Safety. He looked the real deal. If the D`Line can keep up this level of performance all season, then Tennessee can win, any game, anywhere, anytime.

LINEBACKERS A+
Keenan Pili was again an absolute rock and he is leaving an indelible memory on his all too short time in Knoxville. I know “old grandpa” will be knocked in the draft for his age, but he will do a sterling job on Sundays for somebody who looks at the tape more than the birth certificate, I wish him luck. Arion Carter become more dominant as the game progressed and these two were a perfect support for the “front four”

DEFENSIVE BACKS A
Its personally great fun to keep writing positive things about this Unit that has been, quite frankly, sub -par for so long. Jermod McCoy and Rickey Gibson are the best tandem CB`s that I have known since supporting Tennessee. McCoy’s INT set the table for a great day for the DBs and Jacobe Thomas, Christian Harrison and Boo Carter all had highlight moments. I did mark them down slightly due to the few slants that were given up late on, but I did think it was more due to the policy of playing soft and running down the clock than bad defensive play.

Given that before last night in the national rankings 5 of the top 6 ranked teams were from the SEC, and there are 7 at large places available in the Play Offs, then a 10-2 record would easily secure our place in them and that is another reason why last nights win was a very big win.

GO VOLS

Yep nicked the OL and how you call the game changes. I like running the ball so I was fine with how the game played out but in 4Q, 4-1 at OU14 sure would've liked us to have gone for that, especially as well as the D was playing. I'll take a 10 point SEC road W on any Saturday, be it from Big Brother, little brother or noob.

Tennessee had lost their last 29 games when they were away to a Top 15 team, until last night.

Just take a moment to absorb that fact, it should also help you park any disappointments regarding last nights tactics in a game that turned out to be more of an arm wrestle competition on a sodden pitch than a pyrotechnic light show. This wasn’t a big win, this was very big win.

I also wish to highlight that I had Oklahoma and NC State as the 3rd and 4th hardest games on the 2024 schedule before the start of the season, so today 10-2 is now very achievable and I think Arkansas is probably the hardest one left other than Georgia and Alabama. Barring major injuries Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and UTEP will all be big underdogs when its their turn to face the best Defense in the country (now how many of you thought that would be the national narrative of our 2024 Vols?)

QUARTERBACKS B
It has been perceived that to stop the Heupel Express it is best to play defense “soft and deep” which means only rushing 5 or 6 but thus allowing you to play 2 safeties deep. The logic of this is don’t give up chunk plays and make Tennessee go the long way (how did that work out Iowa and NC State?). Well last night Oklahoma did the opposite, they loaded the box and exotically blitzed many times trying to confuse and disrupt Nico and on several occasions this was successful (it will be interesting to see if this policy is replicated by others later in the season). Well, Nico had mixed results with this, the three long passes were pivotal to the scoring on the night but also the strip fumbles were a big negative. But I must say the pass to Donte Thornton for his 66-yard TD was a thing of beauty and just proved why this guy is elite. Even though last night was not perfect for No 8, he would have learnt so much and when you compare him to the other 5* QB on show I know which one won and which one was benched before half time.

RUNNING BACKS B
It was a really tough night for the RB`s, for not only with the loading of the box as expressed above, but the Offensive Live (see details below) were struggling to hold their own. So, to rack up 151 yards even on 52 carries was a good effort with both Dylan Sampson (I am pleased to see his blocking assignments were mainly completed which will help his draft stock) and DeSean Bishop again running hard and well. The rushing game was the cornerstone of the in-game policy of playing “big boy football” of 3 yards then dust followed by relying on a stifling Defense.

WIDE RECEIVERS A-
There were only 21 passes attempted so the stats were never going to be sparkly in the Box Score. But when called upon, the Wide Receivers answered the bell, none more so that Thornton whose had a back breaking TD and two long snares from Bru McCoy. Yet again the WRs seem to have sticky hands this season, long may this continue.

TIGHT ENDS B
Given the attacking nature of the Oklahoma Defense, the Tight Ends were needed to bolster the wall to protect Iamaleava, so this group were performing important but not easily acknowledged duties for most the evening.

OFFENSIVE LINE D
Going forward the most angst for the 2024 Vols fans is going to be the Offensive Line, or more accurately the Depth of the O`Line. I was very surprised that Lance Heard was a no go last night as all reports were that it was only precautionary that he missed Kent State and whilst I don’t like singling out players for criticism it must be said that Dayne Davis,(for all the feel good nature of his story) cannot uphold a Tackle position. It is imperative that both Heard and John Campbell arent out for the rest of this season otherwise the seasons potential can be very quickly derailed. It was tough night overall for the OL.

DEFENSIVE LINE A+

If Tennessee let Rodney Garner leave, then they are bark raving mad, what he has built will be talked about for years and last night was the latest example. We all know all the major names on the Defensive Line and All of them were brilliant, as borne out by the that fact that the Sooners rushed 34 times for only net 36 yards. Jason Moi, Tyre West, Daevin Hobbs and Joshua Josephs (a massive strip and fumble recovery) again showed that the cupboard will not be bare next season. But I must make a special mention of Jayson Jenkins who introduced himself to Volnation with 0.5 SACK, 1.5 TFL and a Safety. He looked the real deal. If the D`Line can keep up this level of performance all season, then Tennessee can win, any game, anywhere, anytime.

LINEBACKERS A+
Keenan Pili was again an absolute rock and he is leaving an indelible memory on his all too short time in Knoxville. I know “old grandpa” will be knocked in the draft for his age, but he will do a sterling job on Sundays for somebody who looks at the tape more than the birth certificate, I wish him luck. Arion Carter become more dominant as the game progressed and these two were a perfect support for the “front four”

DEFENSIVE BACKS A
Its personally great fun to keep writing positive things about this Unit that has been, quite frankly, sub -par for so long. Jermod McCoy and Rickey Gibson are the best tandem CB`s that I have known since supporting Tennessee. McCoy’s INT set the table for a great day for the DBs and Jacobe Thomas, Christian Harrison and Boo Carter all had highlight moments. I did mark them down slightly due to the few slants that were given up late on, but I did think it was more due to the policy of playing soft and running down the clock than bad defensive play.

Given that before last night in the national rankings 5 of the top 6 ranked teams were from the SEC, and there are 7 at large places available in the Play Offs, then a 10-2 record would easily secure our place in them and that is another reason why last nights win was a very big win.

GO VOLS
Well written and graded accurately

What’s interesting to me this season is that we have always been the worst in the league in time of possession with Heupel…but now in 3 out of 4 games we had over 30 mins of time of possession.

Reactions: onevol74
We are good enough to win in many different ways, which is a real luxury.

O-line definitely a concern but have to give credit to OU d-line and their schemes. Probably as good as we will face up front including Georgia and bama.

QUARTERBACKS B

RUNNING BACKS B

WIDE RECEIVERS A-

TIGHT ENDS B

OFFENSIVE LINE D

DEFENSIVE LINE A+

LINEBACKERS A+

DEFENSIVE BACKS A

GO VOLS
Thank you for this. Since you spent all this time writing it, I thought I would let you know that in the last sentence of the second to last paragraph, you left off an “r” in later lol.

I agree with you on all points. I said at the beginning of the season that our OL was my concern. I believe had they been better last year, we would have at least gone 9-3. I was told I was wrong, but I hate to say I was right. Depthwas one of my concerns there. I will be eagerly looking for that injury report.

Is it possible for a player to transfer during the season? Now would be a good time to find another body if so. Perhaps we could have them up to speed by the time we play Bama.

Great stuff as always. Though I’m starting to not be sure Tyre West and Joshua Josephs will be with us next year. They may be playing themselves into early draft exits

What’s interesting to me this season is that we have always been the worst in the league in time of possession with Heupel…but now in 3 out of 4 games we had over 30 mins of time of possession.
That's the biggest stat that I've noticed this year. I hope we keep doing this until Nico gets a few more games under his belt. This team appears to have all the tools to play any kind of game this year.

Once again I find myself shaking my head in the affirmative as I read your post(s). I agree with everything you said. Keep the great posts coming.
Thank you although its worrying that there is somebody as mad as me :)
We are good enough to win in many different ways, which is a real luxury.

O-line definitely a concern but have to give credit to OU d-line and their schemes. Probably as good as we will face up front including Georgia and bama.
I agree, but as this is a copycat league even a less talented opponent might become a problem, IF and I emphasize IF it is a problem.

VN Store

Back