1/3 through the season: where we are & where we’re going

NighthawkVol

Since we’re 33% through, I thought I’d discuss where Tennessee is, what our strengths and weaknesses are, and how they compare to what we expected. Also, what I hope to see improve over this by week and during the season.

-Nico is what we expected. No he isn’t a Heisman caliber QB yet. But he is an elite talent who is learning as he goes and will continue to improve as the season goes on. He has a month until the Alabama game to be an elite quarterback. At least for a game. Because we will need that to win that game. I think he can be that.

-the offensive line is a concern. No, I don’t think we have a bad or below average offensive line when everyone is healthy. In fact, when everyone is healthy, I think we have a top third offensive line in the SEC. But as Saturday showed, the depth is a huge concern. There is a huge drop off when a tackle gets hurt. We really need to develop some depth. I hope/think this will be a focus over the bye and subsequent weeks. Can Johnson take a step to be that 3rd OT? Can Sham get healthy and play OT? Can one of the freshmen (Perry, Warren, Ginther) step up? I hope the answer is yes to all of those. And also, that we stay healthy.

-The defense is even better than expected. We heard in preseason how good this defensive line would be. We didn’t realize it would be this good. And we worried about the secondary. The secondary is good. The corners are really good. Brooks can play. Thomas can play. Boo is getting better every week. Harrison is much better than I expected. And those linebackers, man. Those dudes are, well dudes. I hope to see Spillman get more work in the rotation as the season goes on. And I hope to see Matthews and Beasley develop as the backup CBs.

-WRs have been slightly disappointing. That is not to say they have been bad, but the expectation for that group was very high. Perhaps as Nico gets more comfortable, this group gets better. And perhaps their lack of production has been a result of game planning. I think that is part of it. But Squirrel has not been himself. Brazzell has flashed, but hasn’t been consistently good. Bru and Thornton, on the other hand, have been fantastic. This bye week is an opportunity for Mike Matthews. Can he get some of Squirrel’s snaps? Can Brazzell get better? If not, do you give Thornton more snaps? Or Nimrid? Something tells me Mike Matthews will become a factor down the stretch.

-RBs have been all we can ask for. Sampson is what we thought he was, if not better. Frankly, he’s been our offensive MVP. And Bishop has been way better than expected. Can we develop a 3rd RB? Is Seldon ready to start earning some snaps? These next 2 weeks are big for him and Peyton Lewis.

What have I missed? What other players/positions need to step up and have the potential to do so?

We need to win the games we are supposed to and find a way to beat Georgia or Bama. Too many times we get a surprise loss from someone we shouldn't... we can't let that happen this year if we want to make the playoffs. I think a 2 loss TN team with close games with Georgia and Bama could still make it... but we'll see

I was disappointed at the schedule initially, the bye week coming before Arkansas. I was hoping for Bye before UGA or Bama, now on reflection this bye comes at a great time. We need to get our O-Line 100 for this next 1/3 of season stretch and we need to go and plan and take care of a potentially dangerous SEC team on the road.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
My only critique, or really question, out of Saturday's game is why we aren't running to the edges more with our quick backs or possibly even with Nico at times (I'm sure they want to be careful running Nico)? Oklahoma was stuffing up the middle all game at a high success rate and we would just run right at it, it seemed like. Otherwise that was a very, very impressive win.

Agreed on the wide receivers. I've been impressed with Thornton and expected to see more from Nimrod but I don't think he's been out there much at all. Bru has been Bru. Squirrel has flashed at times but both he and Brazzell have been a little inconsistent. I'm also hopeful we'll see more of Mike Matthews as the season goes. On running backs, I've been very surprised at Bishop. There was a lot of praise on here for him in the preseason and so on but he's looked every bit the part of a quality back and looked good against OU as well.

I'll add that the TEs have been exceptional. I think it's the best group we've had in a while. Kitselman is a beast and Staes has looked the part as well. And don't forget Davis! I could be wrong but I think this is the most the TEs have been targeted in the passing game in a long while.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
At THIS point..."Playing for it ALL!"

ncf_trophy1_ms_1296x729.jpg

My only critique, or really question, out of Saturday's game is why we aren't running to the edges more with our quick backs or possibly even with Nico at times (I'm sure they want to be careful running Nico)? Oklahoma was stuffing up the middle all game at a high success rate and we would just run right at it, it seemed like. Otherwise that was a very, very impressive win.

Agreed on the wide receivers. I've been impressed with Thornton and expected to see more from Nimrod but I don't think he's been out there much at all. Bru has been Bru. Squirrel has flashed at times but both he and Brazzell have been a little inconsistent. I'm also hopeful we'll see more of Mike Matthews as the season goes. On running backs, I've been very surprised at Bishop. There was a lot of praise on here for him in the preseason and so on but he's looked every bit the part of a quality back and looked good against OU as well.

I'll add that the TEs have been exceptional. I think it's the best group we've had in a while. Kitselman is a beast and Staes has looked the part as well. And don't forget Davis! I could be wrong but I think this is the most the TEs have been targeted in the passing game in a long while.
Don’t expect to see Tennessee run out wide under Heupel. He has been asked this question before, and his answer makes complete sense. He said, and I am paraphrasing, that we utilize the wide splits to spread the defense out, and pull defenders out wide, creating more space in the middle of the field, so why would we run out towards the defenders that we just removed from the middle middle of the field? It’s contradictory to their offensive philosophy.

It looked to me like Oklahoma owned the edges on both sides of the ball. And, by the nature of an edge run, this may have been due to the turf.

TE - Oklahoma game was ok for TEs however they really flashed in NC State game. Pleaseant surprise. Hope they will be targeted more.
With Heard and Campbell being unreliable, I think those TE's will be far more important offensively with their blocking than receiving. All of sudden, having 3 really solid options at TE is a really big deal. Kind of like Heupel knew what he was doing in the portal, no? Also, kudos to Heupel for snagging Bishop. Seldon can't stay healthy and seeing what Bishop is doing just warms my heart. No hoopla surrounding this kid, but he rarely comes away without positive yardage and for a freshman, the kid ain't too shabby at pass blocking. He's a player. Really...REALLY....glad we added him to the roster. Again, nice job by our staff.

Reactions: walkenvol
I would add that our kicking has been fantastic. Our freshman, Gilbert, looks to have a bright future and has so far been steady and consistent. Turbyville is putting them through the endzone and not allowing returns. Ross seems to have really settled in and made a difference in the OU game, the safety was all his.

Reactions: walkenvol
With Heard and Campbell being unreliable, I think those TE's will be far more important offensively with their blocking than receiving. All of sudden, having 3 really solid options at TE is a really big deal. Kind of like Heupel knew what he was doing in the portal, no? Also, kudos to Heupel for snagging Bishop. Seldon can't stay healthy and seeing what Bishop is doing just warms my heart. No hoopla surrounding this kid, but he rarely comes away without positive yardage and for a freshman, the kid ain't too shabby at pass blocking. He's a player. Really...REALLY....glad we added him to the roster. Again, nice job by our staff.
Explain us the difference between unreliable and injured

Reactions: Plove23
I still think we are a promising team, but currently I'm in wait and see mode. Two more SEC games, and I'll loosen up. I stubbornly believe we will see Keith make his presence known. BUT, I'm stunned that Sampson seems to be the bulldozer I expect Keith to be. Hard to get the man to the ground. The three-headed monster of Sampson, Bishop, and Lewis are going to be our main offensive strength rather than just Nico. The OL, I and folks far smarter than me expressed concern about the quality of depth behind the starters. It seems we're being proven right. But if that OL holds up, watch out!

Anybody know how good Arkansas Is and how we match up against them?
Next week will tell us a lot about Arkansas, but I think they are 20-25 best team in the country. They have a very big and athletic QB but he's not the most accurate passer. They have some talented players on both sides of the ball, but they aren't the best coached team either. I think we use the bye week to improve and come out ready against Ark. I do hope it's a early game because it can be a tougher place to play than a lot of people give it credit for.

I still think we are a promising team, but currently I'm in wait and see mode. Two more SEC games, and I'll loosen up. I stubbornly believe we will see Keith make his presence known. BUT, I'm stunned that Sampson seems to be the bulldozer I expect Keith to be. Hard to get the man to the ground. The three-headed monster of Sampson, Bishop, and Lewis are going to be our main offensive strength rather than just Nico. The OL, I and folks far smarter than me expressed concern about the quality of depth behind the starters. It seems we're being proven right. But if that OL holds up, watch out!

This man said Gaston might start a few games into the season ^

Oklahoma defense was beating our tackles, esp the blind side. So I think Heup may have been concerned running wide.

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL

VN Store

Back