Sooners Backup QB

Gave them a spark but only because by the time he got in the game, the game was over and the Vols had gone into prevent defense to let the clock run out. I'm guessing Arnold will be back out there before the season is over.
Prevent defense to run the clock and make Oklahoma eat the clock. Even then Oklahoma had to fight for every yard, ended up bleeding the clock on themselves. Good win, protected your qb too.

Reactions: vol94fan
No he's better than Arnold. Remember he didn't get to prepare for us as a starter either. I think he'll be the Sooners starter the rest of the season and he'll play well. Similar to what Marcel Reed is doing at A&M.

We still win the game if he starts but he would have made the game a little more competitive. Still would've ended around 25-15. But instead of us building a huge lead and trying to milk out the clock, we probably would have had a more back and forth game for about 2.5 quarters before we pulled away.

Still stupid of them to put him in with a minute left in the first half. They should have brought him out at the half. It let us know he was playing in the second half before halftime and we could make a few adjustments. That was one coaching decision I questioned from OU.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Gave them a spark but only because by the time he got in the game, the game was over and the Vols had gone into prevent defense to let the clock run out. I'm guessing Arnold will be back out there before the season is over.

I don't think Arnold was the whole problem in Saturday's game, but the OU fans and apparently the OU coaching staff (based on Venables calling him out in the post game presser) have made him the scapegoat. Not sure that's the whole story. But. It's what they're going with. No way he can stick around there, as there won't be any support for him going forward. Best he hits the road and gets a fresh start, and OU can see if Hawkins really is all that and a bag of chips. Not convinced of that either. Joel Klatt pointed out that OU changed their offensive philosophy for Hawkins in the second half. He said (he's a QB so I'm taking his assessment on this, as I didn't rewatch the game) that they seemed to drop the RPO concepts and focused on passing. I wonder to what degree that, rather than the guy under center, changed the tone for the last 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back