I think we are a good team...

...however, the consensus I am gathering here is that we are not sure if we are a great team yet. We have the pieces: strong culture, athletes in positions of need across the field, and a smart coach.

Areas of concern are the OL, the QB position, and the defensive secondary. Nothing is new across these positions, but here are my observations:

OL: we are only as good as our tackle play. OU has one of the best defensive fronts we will see this year, but Bama, and UGA are also good here. We need to get the Heard situation figured out and rest up this weekend. This is tricky because it is a developmental position and you cannot expect a freshman to come in and compete with fully grown men on the other side of the ball. They have to bulk and get stronger. I fear we will live and die by our tackles this year.

QB: Let me get one thing straight: Nico is a star in the making. He is not a star yet though, regardless of the media hype and SEC freshman of the week accolades. He has a lot to learn, and just got a good lesson against a really good OU team that loves to scheme to confuse young QBs. However, he cannot keep getting strip sacked. That is also on the OL, but if OU had a competent offense, those two fumbles would have been TDs or FGs. Offensive staff will to uncork that arm against Bama as they are stacked on the front end but weaker in pass protection. UGA will also scheme to confuse him and he will need to be better as they can score on those turnovers we saw at OU.

Defensive Secondary: I still do not think they have been tested, mainly because our DL has just dominated to the point where opposing offenses cannot get their downfield attack going. I like what we have seen from this group, but can we say for certain they have seen a dynamic air attack yet? No. McCall was a bust and so was Arnold. The Arkansas QB isn't great at throwing either, so think this group will not be challenged until we see Mertz at Florida. Mertz isn't a world breaker, but he can throw little dinks and dunks into soft coverage spots that chew into our secondary. Florida isn't great but we will need to fire on all cylinders on the defense. We need to prove in the first quarter we are not going to let them dictate the pace of the game by chewing clock and hitting us with little dinks all over the place.

We are not a great team yet.. Nico is a freshman and is learning...secondary is stronger than most thought but still learning... line has to get healthy..the running qb may be this defense weakness and well what do we have coming up... running qbs for a while

We are not a great team yet.. Nico is a freshman and is learning...secondary is stronger than most thought but still learning... line has to get healthy..the running qb may be this defense weakness and well what do we have coming up... running qbs for a while
Interested in the Arkansas match up because their QB is a great runner, but not really a great thrower. He is only hitting 53% of his passes and has not exactly played a lot of strong defenses yet. He is also tied in his INTs to TD throws, so I would expect him to keep it on the ground more. I think Pili or Carter need to be ready to lay the wood on him as he crosses the line of scrimmage before he even has a chance to think about sliding.

We are a top 8 team but I'm not sure if we are an elite one.

We still have not played a complete team yet. OU is the most talented team we have played but their offense never really put any pressure on our D so the secondary is still relatively untested. When we play Bama and UGA we will find out if we are elite or very good.

Nico is an unbelievable talent but will turn the ball over. This will improve as he gains experience and gets coached up but there is risk there. D bailed us out on Saturday but a competent offense would have scored from the 5.

O-Line needs to get healthy. Big drop off from starting tackles to backups. Still more depth than we have had in recent memory but we have to protect a young QBs blind side until his pocket "feel" improves.

Crompton's comments around CJH not trusting Nico yet are interesting. I am not sure if that is true as we went ultra conservative given OU couldn't find the first down marker most of the night. I am also of the mind JC is right as if CJH wasn't worried about mistakes we keep the gas pedal down well into the 3rd. This isn't a dig at all but what you expect out of a young QB, regardless of talent.

Bottom line I CANNOT WAIT for football time in Tennessee again and I absolutely love it. This is a fun and exciting team that I can watch with my boys and that makes me beyond grateful. LFG!

...however, the consensus I am gathering here is that we are not sure if we are a great team yet. We have the pieces: strong culture, athletes in positions of need across the field, and a smart coach.

Areas of concern are the OL, the QB position, and the defensive secondary. Nothing is new across these positions, but here are my observations:

OL: we are only as good as our tackle play. OU has one of the best defensive fronts we will see this year, but Bama, and UGA are also good here. We need to get the Heard situation figured out and rest up this weekend. This is tricky because it is a developmental position and you cannot expect a freshman to come in and compete with fully grown men on the other side of the ball. They have to bulk and get stronger. I fear we will live and die by our tackles this year.

QB: Let me get one thing straight: Nico is a star in the making. He is not a star yet though, regardless of the media hype and SEC freshman of the week accolades. He has a lot to learn, and just got a good lesson against a really good OU team that loves to scheme to confuse young QBs. However, he cannot keep getting strip sacked. That is also on the OL, but if OU had a competent offense, those two fumbles would have been TDs or FGs. Offensive staff will to uncork that arm against Bama as they are stacked on the front end but weaker in pass protection. UGA will also scheme to confuse him and he will need to be better as they can score on those turnovers we saw at OU.

Defensive Secondary: I still do not think they have been tested, mainly because our DL has just dominated to the point where opposing offenses cannot get their downfield attack going. I like what we have seen from this group, but can we say for certain they have seen a dynamic air attack yet? No. McCall was a bust and so was Arnold. The Arkansas QB isn't great at throwing either, so think this group will not be challenged until we see Mertz at Florida. Mertz isn't a world breaker, but he can throw little dinks and dunks into soft coverage spots that chew into our secondary. Florida isn't great but we will need to fire on all cylinders on the defense. We need to prove in the first quarter we are not going to let them dictate the pace of the game by chewing clock and hitting us with little dinks all over the place.
We are not a great team right now. We can definitely grow into being great as the season goes along in my humble opinion.

Maybe our definitions of "great" are different.

Would you say we are a legitimate Top 5 team, capable of beating anyone in the country?
Too early in the year to tell. Everybody is fairly up and down this early on.

We’ve been impressive based on the first few weeks for sure but there is room for growth.

Would you say we are a legitimate Top 5 team, capable of beating anyone in the country?
Being capable of beating anyone doesn't mean you're great. Any SEC team is capable of beating anyone on the right day. Being likely to win is a different discussion, and who knows that at this point. We've played one quality opponent. Beating Kent St and Ut Chat by 60+ is what we're supposed to do, but it doesn't mean anything. If NC State was good it might mean something but they look to be a meh team this year.

We're a good team, but there's still a lot to prove.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
Our O line needs to get healthy and this team can achieve all of it's goals.

We have enough pieces to win in a variety of ways.

My barometer:

An elite team proves this against great teams. A great team proves this against good teams. A good team proves this against average teams.

We have won a game against a great defense, but have only played average teams so far. We have proven to be good.

AR is a good team IMO and will give us our second road test. We beat them well and I would move us to great. Bama win would move us to elite.

I don’t believe we can just waltz into each Saturday and easily defeat every opponent - but I do believe we have a legitimate chance to win every game we play. If we do that, I think the players will have earned the “great” label.

Defensive Secondary: I still do not think they have been tested, mainly because our DL has just dominated to the point where opposing offenses cannot get their downfield attack going. I like what we have seen from this

Tim Banks addressed the secondary with respect to the defensive front earlier in the season. He pointed out that the secondary is tasked with much less than in previous seasons. They are not going to have to cover targets for extended periods of time because of the pressure from the front. I see this as the natural progression of how growth at one position group will be a boon to another. It is exactly the same as a good o-line makes everyone else on that side of the ball look and play better.

As for being an elite team, I believe our starters are there; however, the team is not there. As we found out in Norman, we are at a disadvantage when we lose players due to injury. What elite teams can do is just plug and play three deep at most any position. We obviously are not there yet, but we are making great strides through recruiting and transfers. We could win it all with this team; however, it would take an amazing stroke of luck to avoid the injuries to make that happen.

Hopefully this staff gets everyone developed and playing at a high level and the injury bug stays away. Go Vols!

Right now it looks like U of North Mexico is great and than a lot of really good teams that will be scrapping for greatness. There maybe nobody undefeated come playoff time. Though The U probably has the best chance at it.

The medium passing game has been mostly absent so far. We had two plays in the second half on 3rd and long where we did get solid passes from Nico. Medium passing game can definitely improve as these passes gain yards/puts pressure and can be released fast to avoid blitzes.

Wide Receivers probably need to be added to OP as we haven't seen them get open at times when we needed a play.

It really boils down to the OL iyam. I think the questions in the secondary are being answered. Those guys have really answered the call so far. Having the front 7 they have being so disruptive has helped tremendously.

Can Heard get healthy and stay healthy? Can Campbell play an entire game? Can someone besides D Davis step up and fill that hole if those two can't go?

I think Dayne is a VFL and has been a good backup, but he got smoked Sat night. Those DEs and OLBs had their way with him. I think its the biggest reason the play-calling went ultra conservative.

They gotta find some dudes that can sub if both the starters cant go. Then we might can call them elite.

I’m very interested to see how the defense does against an elite offense. And how our offense responds to that. I still think Nico and our O are capable of a 50 point shootout if and when needed.

The OU game sold me. First time under Heupel that I can remember us winning a different way. A&M last year was close but we won with tough hard nosed defense and still did enough in the run game and passing game. Also how about our kicker? And our punter is legit. The D line is championship level deep and I don't say that lightly.

Do we have issues with OL depth? Of course, but we also have a week off to figure it out. My bet is they figure it out.

Not many “great teams” were great at week 4 true greatness can not be judged in the first Q of a season… we have everything needed to become a great team as the season progresses… there ain’t a team in the country I feel that we can’t beat and it’s been so long since I’ve felt that Way…

I wouldn't.

If O Line gets healthy and the 2s improve it'll go a long way towards that though.

Right now, I think we go 10-2 and make the playoff.

If the O Line questions resolve favorably then I think we have a 50-50 shot against Bama and that breaks/penalties will determine that outcome.

Overall, I think TN is ahead of schedule under Heupel and I'm super impressed with the trajectory of things. I believe Nico will be a legit Heisman contender in 25.

Interested in the Arkansas match up because their QB is a great runner, but not really a great thrower. He is only hitting 53% of his passes and has not exactly played a lot of strong defenses yet. He is also tied in his INTs to TD throws, so I would expect him to keep it on the ground more. I think Pili or Carter need to be ready to lay the wood on him as he crosses the line of scrimmage before he even has a chance to think about sliding.

They better get the ice bath ready for Green.

VN Store

Back