Wooooooooo. Pig. Sooie!

ZoeVol

Championship Time Again
Last edited:
What a huge embarrassing tradition! Im so glad pigs arent our mascot!

see the Calling the Hogs section in this link

I always think of that scene from “Deliverance” when I think of U of Ark. Who in the right mind would ask their fans squeal like a pig?

Deliverance reminds me of Georgia, where that movie was filmed.
This is gonna be way out there, but “Mystery Science Theatre 3000:Boggy Creek II: And the Legend Continues” reminds me of Arkansas lol that episode has a direct line to my funny bone, I’ve seen it countless times and still crack at up it through the whole thing.

When attending Univ of Tennessee circa 1975-1979, a few of my good friends were members of AGR, the Ag Fraternity right behind the Lambda Chi where I resided. Stoney Curry, from Pulaski TN (family were hog farmers), convinced me, a kid from NJ, to take Farm & Animal Management Science as an elective out on the Ag campus. It was a helluva class. We ear notched piglets; castrated calves and pigs; cleaned out dairy cattle stalls and well, it was my only class at UT where I got manure on my shoes. The climax of the class though was walking into the Sow Barn. Here you have approximately 100 or more 2,000lb sows laying in a metal cage/gurney of such (so that they cannot roll over on their youngins and kill them) feeding their dozen or so piglets. The sows are very limited in their ability to move, so basically, they lie down and eat and poop in the same position for several weeks (until piglets are not being weened). To exacerbate the situation, heat lamps hover over the sows so as to keep the piglets warm - which thusly also heated up the sow poop. So, when our class entered the sow barn, I personally almost was knocked backwards from the horrendous smell of emanating from the heat lamps warming up the nice poop. (FYI, I called on pulp & paper plants for years and the smell from the black liquor heating up and breaking down the wood chips is like roses compared to a sow barn)

If I had known the word Sooouiiieeeee back then in 1979, I damn well would have belted it out because it is probably the best word on the planet to describe a smell so vile and caustic. In fact, the last time I smelled this atrocious odor was on a business trip years back when I drove through Fayetteville. Roll down your windows or be prepared to yell soooouiiee this weekend in Fville, cuz there's an odor about ready to explode on the campus when the Vols roll over the hawgs.

Deliverance reminds me of Georgia, where that movie was filmed.

Wasn’t the setting supposed to be West Virginia? I think I knew it was filmed in Georgia.

Either way, I had heard Deliverance and Sling Blade quoted long before I ever watched the movies. I had a very strong southern accent growing up and kids are jackasses when you change schools in middle school. 😆

Wasn’t the setting supposed to be West Virginia? I think I knew it was filmed in Georgia.

Either way, I had heard Deliverance and Sling Blade quoted long before I ever watched the movies. I had a very strong southern accent growing up and kids are jackasses when you change schools in middle school. 😆
Actually, it was filmed in three States, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina.

I always think of that scene from “Deliverance” when I think of U of Ark. Who in the right mind would ask their fans squeal like a pig?
Technically it’s supposed to mimic the call that farmers would use to call their pigs back home. Though the chant is a lot more monotone lol.

A Razorback is more like a 700-pound Russian boar though so it admittedly doesn’t make total sense.

When attending Univ of Tennessee circa 1975-1979, a few of my good friends were members of AGR, the Ag Fraternity right behind the Lambda Chi where I resided. Stoney Curry, from Pulaski TN (family were hog farmers), convinced me, a kid from NJ, to take Farm & Animal Management Science as an elective out on the Ag campus. It was a helluva class. We ear notched piglets; castrated calves and pigs; cleaned out dairy cattle stalls and well, it was my only class at UT where I got manure on my shoes. The climax of the class though was walking into the Sow Barn. Here you have approximately 100 or more 2,000lb sows laying in a metal cage/gurney of such (so that they cannot roll over on their youngins and kill them) feeding their dozen or so piglets. The sows are very limited in their ability to move, so basically, they lie down and eat and poop in the same position for several weeks (until piglets are not being weened). To exacerbate the situation, heat lamps hover over the sows so as to keep the piglets warm - which thusly also heated up the sow poop. So, when our class entered the sow barn, I personally almost was knocked backwards from the horrendous smell of emanating from the heat lamps warming up the nice poop. (FYI, I called on pulp & paper plants for years and the smell from the black liquor heating up and breaking down the wood chips is like roses compared to a sow barn)

If I had known the word Sooouiiieeeee back then in 1979, I damn well would have belted it out because it is probably the best word on the planet to describe a smell so vile and caustic. In fact, the last time I smelled this atrocious odor was on a business trip years back when I drove through Fayetteville. Roll down your windows or be prepared to yell soooouiiee this weekend in Fville, cuz there's an odor about ready to explode on the campus when the Vols roll over the hawgs.
The part of your post that really grabbed my attention was where you said "out on the Ag campus". I remember those days too. It was on the other side of the world. THE BEST place to hit Drop and Add because nobody was ever there....

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. ('83 BArch)

And fwiw... I like the teams that have unusual nickname/mascots. Bears.... Tigers.... Wildcats.... ugh BO-RING. VOLS, Razorbacks, Hurricanes, etc etc....

ZOUNDS!!! I know you speak the truth, though I never visited a pig farm like that. The pigs I saw as a kid were in pens large enough for them to move around in. Still smelled bad. Much later I saw larger enclosed areas, grassy, which didn't last long as pigs are rooters.

New topic: I have often wondered why we don't see mass slaughter of wild pigs. Carted off to processing centers, and either sold, or just distributed to needy people. I mean, if the wild pigs are such a problem, what better way of reducing their numbers by eating them? Folks say, well, being wild they carry diseases. So do domesticate one, as pigs are by nature scavengers, and will eat anything. Besides, high heat kills whatever is in them. Just wondering.

This is gonna be way out there, but “Mystery Science Theatre 3000:Boggy Creek II: And the Legend Continues” reminds me of Arkansas lol that episode has a direct line to my funny bone, I’ve seen it countless times and still crack at up it through the whole thing.
One of my favorite MST3K episodes.

Don't make me sick Tim on you Hoss

ZOUNDS!!! I know you speak the truth, though I never visited a pig farm like that. The pigs I saw as a kid were in pens large enough for them to move around in. Still smelled bad. Much later I saw larger enclosed areas, grassy, which didn't last long as pigs are rooters.

New topic: I have often wondered why we don't see mass slaughter of wild pigs. Carted off to processing centers, and either sold, or just distributed to needy people. I mean, if the wild pigs are such a problem, what better way of reducing their numbers by eating them? Folks say, well, being wild they carry diseases. So do domesticate one, as pigs are by nature scavengers, and will eat anything. Besides, high heat kills whatever is in them. Just wondering.
Yeah I don't understand that either.

Technically it’s supposed to mimic the call that farmers would use to call their pigs back home. Though the chant is a lot more monotone lol.

A Razorback is more like a 700-pound Russian boar though so it admittedly doesn’t make total sense.

I believe the Spanish brought over the first pigs, which spread rampant throughout the southeast. At some point people cross bread the US wild pigs with the Russian boar? I feel like I might have read that somewhere years ago.

VN Store

Back