Anyone else think that UK welcome for Mark Pope…

But I do detect the jealous comments of some wishing that UT could fill a gym for a presser. Even Cal didn't get more than 5000 at Arky. Ky fans are crazy and will do everything to support even if it was not the best hire. Time will tell and we will support.

But I do detect the jealous comments of some wishing that UT could fill a gym for a presser. Even Cal didn't get more than 5000 at Arky. Ky fans are crazy and will do everything to support even if it was not the best hire. Time will tell and we will support.
granted its been a minute since I lived in Knoxville, but I don't ever remember the university announcing they were going to hold a presser that was open to the general public. I can remember crowds gathering outside the various training facilities/offices to cheer as they went by, but that was about it.

I definitely don't think it was "staged" by UK, but it was clearly pushed/organized by UK. you don't just happen to open up Rupp for a presser and it just organically happens that fans fill it up. the word would have had to have been pushed out that it was open to the public and its time and so forth. Willing to bet UK had security and some type of usher system there for the presser and the crowds.

Having to hire Pope showed that fan base just how over inflated their perception is of that job. They thought they could offer anyone and get that candidate. Couldn’t even get Scott Drew!
BYU might have ended up with a better coach out of this. We shall see!

Reactions: WOKI
No I won’t, because he obviously wasn’t. That still has nothing to do with my point. You don’t fill Rupp Arena, and have thousands of people turned away, if it’s manufactured.
Agreed. Maybe they just wanted to welcome the new coach because they actually want him to do well whether they like the hire or not. Shocking, I know.

It was simply a nostalgia moment, a callback to a simpler time when UK was utterly dominating for a 3 year span. Pope symbolized that era since he was the captain of that 96 team we UK fans revere. I do hope that he can win but let's not pretend that it wasn't about nostalgia.
Lol To me it was definitely manufactured but not to try and convince themselves as other have said. I feel Kentucky fans were embarrassed but know once the hire is made if the fanbase is angry its not a good look to recruits. Trying to convince high school kids and possible transfers that we got our guy when in reality just got someone different than the last guy.

Meh, I don’t think this was like a Derek Dooley hire for them. It’s surprising that they got turned down as much as they did but It’s a job that has a ton of pressure to win immediately and they weren’t going to get a coach to leave a good situation (Self, Drew Hurley, etc) no matter what kind of money they were offering. Pope is an ok hire. I’ll say this though, Cal was still pulling in top 5 recruiting classes every year despite his issues in March. If their recruiting falls off under Pope, then they’re in trouble.

Reactions: Pennheel and WOKI
Bro Tennessee was number one in football baseball and basketball in the nation in attendance I’m pretty sure we can fill up arenas why you even talking about Kentucky lol they haven’t done anything since Anthony Davis was there 😂😂😂

Lol To me it was definitely manufactured but not to try and convince themselves as other have said. I feel Kentucky fans were embarrassed but know once the hire is made if the fanbase is angry its not a good look to recruits. Trying to convince high school kids and possible transfers that we got our guy when in reality just got someone different than the last guy.
Pitino was our 4th choice in 1989. No matter what you support your coach. We can't all pull a Schiano.

Pitino was our 4th choice in 1989. No matter what you support your coach. We can't all pull a Schiano.
The commonwealth doesn’t have the internet/5G bandwidth to pull off a Schiano. East of I-75 they’re still listening to games on AM radio and reading the box scores the next morning in the Paintsville Herald.

I think we all realize that Kentucky has fanatical basketball fans, but the scene at the press conference did seem contrived. Is anyone truly excited about replacing John Calipari with Mark Pope? If so, why?

Having to hire Pope showed that fan base just how over inflated their perception is of that job. They thought they could offer anyone and get that candidate. Couldn’t even get Scott Drew!
Agreed…and I think the fan base itself is one of if not the main reason it’s like that

Nobody is going to say that he was in the first tier of desired candidates but everyone was ready for a change. Pope hits on a lot of things people didn't like about Calipari. He's a Kentucky Basketball legend, loves the school, and he's a good speaker. Calipari always de-emphasized the school, promoted himself, and comes off like a used car salesman.

It was a stretch to give Pope this chance at this point. I don't know if it'll work out but I look forward to finding out.

The announcement event seemed very similar to big blue madness every year. It's over the top but I think the enthusiasm was real. If he doesn't win then that'll fade quickly.

Besides the terrible last 4 seasons, historically bad by UK standards, Cal had pushed the fanbase and boosters away. He started skipping postgame and weekly callin shows. I think that the schtick had worn thin and everyone was just ready to move on.

I am not exctited so much about Pope as I am about the work ethic and page in UK BB history that he represents as a team captain from our golden age. I really hope that he succeeds but my expectations are not high.

I think we all realize that Kentucky has fanatical basketball fans, but the scene at the press conference did seem contrived. Is anyone truly excited about replacing John Calipari with Mark Pope? If so, why?

The Crafts do though. Don't underestimate the power of the big money boosters.

The commonwealth doesn’t have the internet/5G bandwidth to pull off a Schiano. East of I-75 they’re still listening to games on AM radio and reading the box scores the next morning in the Paintsville Herald.

VN Store

Back