Clem's son and Free Shoes University joining the B1G

James Franklin To Resign If Penn State Football Misses Next College Football Playoff

“I’ve been at Penn State for 10 years,” Franklin told Onward State. “It’s time for me to show my worth. There are people out there who say I’m a fraud, and until I win some big games, they might be right. There are going to be 12 teams in the playoff next year, and that’s prime opportunity for this program to make its mark.”

“I just can’t have that as Penn State’s head coach,” Franklin continued. “If I don’t make the playoff next year, I’m resigning.”

James Franklin To Resign If Penn State Football Misses Next College Football Playoff

“I’ve been at Penn State for 10 years,” Franklin told Onward State. “It’s time for me to show my worth. There are people out there who say I’m a fraud, and until I win some big games, they might be right. There are going to be 12 teams in the playoff next year, and that’s prime opportunity for this program to make its mark.”

“I just can’t have that as Penn State’s head coach,” Franklin continued. “If I don’t make the playoff next year, I’m resigning.”
I know several PSU fans that would be perfectly ok if this weren’t an April Fools Joke

He’s had a very weird tenure there. 5 double-digit win seasons, but it’s like he’s always one step away from almost being fired.
It has been weird because they always finish around 10-13. It’s never pretty . I’m not really sure what they’re good at or what their identity is. You pretty much know what you’re getting w/ Ohio State and Michigan each year recently, but the PSU offense is usually ugly and the defense has talent, but they always get exposed in some capacity when they play an offense in the B1G w/ a pulse. Which is why they probably win 9-10 games each year. Except beating Brian Harsin’s Auburn teams, and they acted like they won the damn Super Bowl when they barely won in Happy Valley. Auburn sucked. Big Game James is not exactly winning any big games. W/ Oregon, USC and Washington now in the league it’s going to get that much more difficult.

Reactions: Plecoptera
That's what happens when you play only 2 good teams each year and you consistently lose both of them.
Yep. He's had enough nice wins in other games to hang around and even secure raises and extensions, but he almost always loses to the teams they really care about.

1-9 against Ohio St
3-7 against Michigan
He's only 5-5 against Michigan St

Joke or not, He Should resign if He can't make a 12 team field.

I am glad we saved a few million.

More than that. Seem to remember he wanted some absurd contract to come here.

We got Heupel pretty cheap there for a few years. We're still paying Heupel less now than we would have been paying Franklin from the start though. Doubt the results would be any better.

Franklin has to be the only coach on the planet who has made his name at...........Vandy.

I’ve followed CFB since early 60s. Big Ten has always been a “Big 2, little 8” conference with some rare exceptions. I’ve seen Mich St, Iowa, Purdue & even Indiana in the Rose Bowl but that success was always a 1 yr wonder. PSU has had some moments(a couple RBs) but they’ve been the consistent 3rd best team most of the time. Didn’t lose to the bottom feeders but not threatening to win a NC either.

More than that. Seem to remember he wanted some absurd contract to come here.

We got Heupel pretty cheap there for a few years. We're still paying Heupel less now than we would have been paying Franklin from the start though. Doubt the results would be any better.

Franklin has to be the only coach on the planet who has made his name at...........Vandy.
Honestly though, to do what he did at Vandy is saying something. I know they moved their schedule around but still, Vandy!

Honestly though, to do what he did at Vandy is saying something. I know they moved their schedule around but still, Vandy!
They significantly changed their admissions requirements for Franklin in addition to catching Tennessee & Florida at all time lows. Even Georgia sucked a year or two during his tenure. Since 1992 when divisions were introduced, how many times has it happened that all 3 of those schools were bad? That WAS the only time.

I know several PSU fans that would be perfectly ok if this weren’t an April Fools Joke

Absolutely true. Most PSU fans and alum I know see them as a bully program under Franklin, beating up on bad teams and folding against OSU and Michigan, the only tough teams on their schedule. Much like UK and Calipari, it is an arrogant, entitled (for what reason I can't figure) fan base that would be thrilled if Franklin was gone, then seriously believe the top coaches in the country would crawl to "Happy Valley" for a chance at the job.

VN Store

Back