Do we end up ranked in the Top 5 in the final rankings?

aussievol

Has that ever happen before? I know Bama and NC State were in the Final Four, but we had a better record than them and we beat them both head-to-head.

Who would you have ranked ahead of us besides UConn and Purdue? Houston? UNC?

Reactions: JCP201
Has that ever happen before? I know Bama and NC State were in the Final Four, but we had a better record than them and we beat them both head-to-head.

Who would you have ranked ahead of us besides UConn and Purdue? Houston? UNC?

This will be TN’s 5th time finishing in the AP top 10. 3rd time for Barnes. Pearl did it once (2008). Mears did it once (1967).

2022: 5th
2019: 6th
2008: 5th
1967: 8th

Jerry Green just missed it in 2000 (11th).

This will only be the 16th time that TN will be ranked in the final AP poll. At some point the AP switched from the Top 20 to the Top 25. Mears could have been in that 21-25 group a couple of times.

Barnes (5x)
Pearl (4x)
Green (2x)
Devoe (1x)
Mears (4x)

Despite winning the SECT in 1979, they weren’t ranked in that final AP poll.

Last edited:
TN won the SEC regular season championships in 1972 and 1982 and were not ranked in the final AP polls those years. That’s some messed up media bias. I doubt that Duke, UNC, or KY ever won their conference championship and finished the season unranked.

TN was ranked every year that they made the Sweet 16 EXCEPT for 2014 when Cuonzo made the S16.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Should be but probably won’t. I’m biased but after watching all these games, the eye test says the Vols absolutely are a top 4 team.
3rd, based on having beaten Bama twice and NC State, together with UNC's underperformance (who somehow absconded with our 1 seed). No doubt about it: it's really wrong for them to do anything else. But when has that stopped them?

But however that may be, we made the Elite Eight. We won the SEC season. Those are the banners.

We will probably end up 4th in the final AP poll. Houston, UConn and Purdue will be ahead of us most likely. If so, it'll be the highest we ever finished there.

Why even I have a poll? If North Carolina State had won yesterday and one Monday, the poll would have ranked them number one. But, everyone else would have been ranked by total body of work. I guess it's all just discussion fodder, but thanks no real sense.

Reactions: sami
We won't be ahead of Houston. Idk about Arizona or UNC. Unfortunately, Alabama may pass us. As we know, we are far better than them but that don't change it.
Alabama's style will never win a 6 game National tournament IMO. You can upset someone on a given night but to bring high % of 3s for a 6 game run odds are against it. Oats will make a good living doing it but unless his teams are more diversified in the future, I just don't see it. After watching all the teams I think UT is 3rd in line, I missed a bunch of picks in my Brackets but did have UConn playing Purdue for my final in every bracket.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
What sucks is we had a bad shooting night and the zebras called Everything on us against Purdue's big. We just couldn't stop him without fouling. I believe we're in the championship game if we had beaten Purdue.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Recall the football polls. We thumped Iowa, but there were people who voted them ahead of us. People will see us as EE, and vote for FF teams.

Seems Iike the recent year end polls have almost mirrored results from NCAA tournament, which is facking ignorant

Who cares? We’re top 8. What’s the difference?
Exactly. We finished where we should have, based on the rankings throughout the season. We were in the 4 - 8 spot prettty much the entire season. I'm glad we didnt have to face U Conn. They make the game look like college against high school and Tennessee wouldn't have been any different. They would have embarrassed us,, beaten us much worse than Purdue.

Who cares? We’re top 8. What’s the difference?
Yep. I can't recall where we ended up last year or the years prior to that. Elite 8 is all I'll remember. My guess is that we end up at #7.

College Football News came out with their final rankings (except for UConn/Purdue obviously) and the morons put us at 5th, behind Illinois, a team we beat and got smoked in the Elite 8 by 25 pts, and Alabama, a team we beat twice. I guess they should stick to football.

College Football News came out with their final rankings (except for UConn/Purdue obviously) and the morons put us at 5th, behind Illinois, a team we beat and got smoked in the Elite 8 by 25 pts, and Alabama, a team we beat twice. I guess they should stick to football.
They're no better at football.

VN Store

Back