Nico being more vocal

Somebody want to translate "dap me up"?
A hand motion used to greet someone similar to a handshake or fist bump. The people "Dapping up" will bring their opposite hands together, sliding them against each other, and locking their fingers for a brief moment before retracting their hands. White/suburban people will usually mistake this phrase for "Dab me up."
"Bro what you are doing, dap me up"
"We haven't seen each other in 2 years and you aren't even going to dap me up???"

Lots of different ways to do it, not a new thing. That expression goes back at least to the 60s, when I learned it.
It originates from black soldiers in Vietnam. So you were on the forefront. You either had a lot of black friends or served to have learned it back then.

Reactions: UT Hill Man
It originates from black soldiers in Vietnam. So you were on the forefront. You either had a lot of black friends or served to have learned it back then.
That's actually where I heard it from, Vietnam era soldiers; not necessarily black, since the units were mixed, and some of the white boys picked it up, too.

Im thinking he has a flat top and they were bringing the Brill Cream out….yeah I’m pretty sure that’s it….”A little dap will do you”
Yes, Brylcreem was the stuff. I still recall the t.v. jingle.

Attachments

• Brylcreem_little dab'll do ya.jpg
    Brylcreem_little dab'll do ya.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 4
Somebody want to translate "dap me up"?

It means to provide positive reinforcement and praise in a celebratory manner.

I've heard of this concept before, but as someone who has been married for a few decades I have not witnessed it in person--just like many Americans who sadly abide in dap deserts.

VN Store

Back