OU's president threatens to leave Norman if they don't approve and help pay for his new "entertainment district."

Voltopia

Score fast, score hard, no mercy.

Fascinating to see a college president play the "if you don't approve and pay for some our plan, we'll leave town" card against the city of Norman. Admittedly, Norman is within the footprint of the larger Oklahoma City metropolitan area, but the idea of playing the "we'll leave town" card is certainly a bold one -- and a move more akin to those you'd see from NFL or NBA teams who ultimately don't care about where they are, so long as they can make money - and compel taxpayers to help them do so.

More and more like pro sports every day.

He can say that because he has others standing in line to give him what he is asking! Just guessing!

Umm yeah. Because it is so easy to move a large state university along with it's couple of hundred years of infrastructure required over the weekend. Bet rebuilding every building, stadium, etc would be dirt cheap also?

Reactions: tbh
Umm yeah. Because it is so easy to move a large state university along with it's couple of hundred years of infrastructure required over the weekend. Bet rebuilding every building, stadium, etc would be dirt cheap also?
Tell me you don’t understand the article without telling me you don’t understand the article

Tell me you don’t understand the article without telling me you don’t understand the article

It has long been my contention that any time a team begins playing their sports off campus-then they no longer care about sports. I could possibly understand this for obscure sports-but basketball?

Oklahoma is actually not a horrible school any longer. They used the success of their sports programs to springboard the school. No different really than what Alabama did in the last 15 years. FSU did pretty much the same thing in the 90s.

You start moving sports off campus-you lose a section of student life. To the more discerning student, college sports are a huge part of student life. Using higher quality of play to attract a better quality of student.

Basically, my point is that when they start moving arenas, stadiums, etc off campus they might as well move the school also.

I'm sure USC, Miami, etc etc would probably agree with you that having on campus is in no way related to student life, but I believe to most rational people the opposite is true.

Trust this more elaborate and long winded explanation suffices? Ot could I have just said might as well move the school.also?

I think you have misunderstood the threat. The threat is he will build the stadium and other accommodations at another site. That does not have to be on campus. A lot of big venues are not on campus! I think he is holding the winning hand and not just bluffing!

I think you have misunderstood the threat. The threat is he will build the stadium and other accommodations at another site. That does not have to be on campus. A lot of big venues are not on campus! I think he is holding the winning hand and not just bluffing!

Please see my other post.

Apparently, I over simplified my thoughts in the initial post.

It has long been my contention that any time a team begins playing their sports off campus-then they no longer care about sports. I could possibly understand this for obscure sports-but basketball?

Oklahoma is actually not a horrible school any longer. They used the success of their sports programs to springboard the school. No different really than what Alabama did in the last 15 years. FSU did pretty much the same thing in the 90s.

You start moving sports off campus-you lose a section of student life. To the more discerning student, college sports are a huge part of student life. Using higher quality of play to attract a better quality of student.

Basically, my point is that when they start moving arenas, stadiums, etc off campus they might as well move the school also.

I'm sure USC, Miami, etc etc would probably agree with you that having on campus is in no way related to student life, but I believe to most rational people the opposite is true.

Trust this more elaborate and long winded explanation suffices? Ot could I have just said might as well move the school.also?
Complete BS about Alabama. After 17 years of Saban they are #170 in National Universities and 91 in Publics.
They are #13 in the SEC ahead of only LSU, MSU and Arkansas.

By comparison UT is #105 in Nationals and 51 in Publics.

OU has improved, they hired former Senator David Boren as President and they are now 124 in Nationals and 64 in publics.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib

VN Store

Back