Returning Starters

Sarms58

Interesting read - we’re next to last in returning starters but even without my orange tinted glasses I see a few upgrades. I think everyone will agree we’re better at QB. I think we’ll also be better at WR. But definitely some questions to be answered.

There is also no question we now have a quarterback that can think on his feet and make plays. Joe had no natural feel for the game. Nico definitely does..

Probably, I'm even more insane than usual. Still, this makes me think Phantom and Cracked just might be right about their predictions. The Sabanless Bama slightly unmanned, Athens slobbers missing a fang, in general, I think the SEC is looking at least a notch down this year. At the risk of being hunted down and skinned, it's Kentucky we need to be very leery about. Especially if Stoops's new OC knows how to call offense schemes. The Felis lybica aren't going to be the usual cat bacon snacks this season.

Reactions: Sarms58
Probably, I'm even more insane than usual. Still, this makes me think Phantom and Cracked just might be right about their predictions. The Sabanless Bama slightly unmanned, Athens slobbers missing a fang, in general, I think the SEC is looking at least a notch down this year. At the risk of being hunted down and skinned, it's Kentucky we need to be very leery about. Especially if Stoops's new OC knows how to call offense schemes. The Felis lybica aren't going to be the usual cat bacon snacks this season.
I'm here to skin you, Woodsman.

Imagine you have a whole audio library full of the crappiest music the world has ever heard. Like Rebecca Black ("Friday"), Milli Vanilli (pick any of their songs, they didn't really sing any of them anyway), Rick Astley, and the guy who did Disco Duck. That sort of stuff.

Now, is it GOOD news, or BAD news that when the earthquake hit, your audio collection survived with not a single item lost?

That's Kentucky with a lot of returning players. It doesn't mean they're gonna be good. Only that they'll be steady in their continued suckage.

Always...always...always count on beating the 'Cats. You'll be right more than 90% of the time.

Go Vols!

Reactions: NighthawkVol
QB - Better
WR - Better
RB - Worse ( strictly due to less proven depth)
TE - Push
OL - Push
DL - Better
LB - Better
DB - Better

We are a better and more complete team across the board.
I'm not even sure OL is a push. It may belong with the "better" crowd. And, as with several other position groups, it might be thanks to 'addition by subtraction.'

Sure, many of the OL first seven are back from last year. I get why you say it's a push. But one who isn't back, Ollie Lane, was a pre-snap penalty machine, and a post-snap holding fiend. Love the lad, but he personally killed more than a few drives with his lack of discipline and technique.

I'm hoping to see a much more focused OL this fall. One that gives very little away.

Go Vols!

I'm here to skin you, Woodsman.

Imagine you have a whole audio library full of the crappiest music the world has ever heard. Like Rebecca Black ("Friday"), Milli Vanilli (pick any of their songs, they didn't really sing any of them anyway), Rick Astley, and the guy who did Disco Duck. That sort of stuff.

Now, is it GOOD news, or BAD news that when the earthquake hit, your audio collection survived with not a single item lost?

That's Kentucky with a lot of returning players. It doesn't mean they're gonna be good. Only that they'll be steady in their continued suckage.

Always...always...always count on beating the 'Cats. You'll be right more than 90% of the time.

Go Vols!
Ouchie! Such pain never felt so good.

Here's last year's list for comparison:​

FLORIDA GATORS​

11803445.jpg
(Photo: James Gilbert, Getty)
Returning starters: 7; (3 offense; 4 defense)
The Gators feel great about their two-headed rushing tandem of Montrell Johnson and Travis Etienne, but the rest of the offense is a bit of a question mark outside of returning starters Ricky Pearsall on the outside. Wisconsin transfer Graham Mertz takes over for first-round pick Anthony Richardson at quarterback after starting the last few seasons in the Big Ten. Florida is much more comfortable about its two-deep defensively with defensive back Kamari Wilson and pass rusher Princely Umanmielen among the most dependable returning starters.

ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS​

Raheim Sanders
(Photo: John Reed, USA TODAY Sports)
Returning starters: 7; (4 offense; 3 defense)
KJ Jefferson and Raheim Sanders anchor this new-look Arkansas offense under first-year coordinator Dan Enos, but don't expect the Razorbacks to reinvent the wheel. They know where their bread is buttered and two of the league's top playmakers will be asked to shoulder the load. On defense, Arkansas has a bunch of new starters out of the transfer portal, but cornerback Dwight McGlothern has been around and was an All-SEC player last fall. The coaching staff is hopeful Taurean Carter is a difference-maker in the trenches after missing his 2022 campaign with a knee injury.

AUBURN TIGERS​

11384844.jpg
(Photo: Justin Ford, Getty)
Returning starters: 9; (2 offense; 7 defense)
Returning starters at wide receiver, Ja’Varrius Johnson and Koy Moore, are two of the top names in a vastly upgraded position group which includes a couple transfer portal additions. The same goes for Auburn's offensive front. Former Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne is the likely QB1 if he's able to beat out Robby Ashford in August. With star tailback Jarquez Hunter's status unknown for the 2023 season following an off-the-field issue this spring, that means Damari Alston and transfer Brian Battie would handle the bulk of the rushing load. D.J. James and Nehemiah Prichett are returning starters at cornerback.

SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCKS​

11810415.jpg
(Photo: Eakin Howard, Getty)
Returning starters: 9; (5 offense; 4 defense)
The most notable playmakers returning for the Gamecocks are quarterback Spencer Rattler and wideout Juice Wells, who both considered jumping to the NFL following the 2022 season. Through NIL partnerships and a budding relationship with first-year OC Dowell Loggains, one of the SEC's best 1-2 punches on offense returns for South Carolina. Safety Nick Emmanwori was a true freshman All-American last fall and headlines a defense that needs to produce this season. The availability of left tackle Jaylen Nichols is unknown this summer after an injury during the spring and if he can't go, that pushes South Carolina's number of returning starters offensively to only four. The Gamecocks would've had double-digit returnees, but several big names departed for the portal.

ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE​

11698719.png
(Photo: Courtesy of Alabama Athletics)
Returning starters: 9; (4 offense; 5 defense)
The most glaring vacancies for the Crimson Tide come at quarterback and edge where Bryce Young and Will Anderson Jr. left as two of the program's most decorated stars of all-time. Alabama has a position battle on its hands entering fall camp between Jalen Milroe, Ty Simpson and Notre Dame transfer Tyler Buchner under center. Replacing Jahmyr Gibbs in the backfield is likely true freshman five-star Justice Haynes. Fellow elite freshman Caleb Downs assumes a first-team role at the back end of the defense. This offensive front, led by JC Latham, will be an anchor.

VANDERBILT COMMODORES​

11380402.jpg
(Photo: © George Walker IV / Tennessean.com / USA TODAY NETWORK, USA TODAY Sports)
Returning starters: 10; (6 offense; 4 defense)
Vanderbilt feels great about its quarterback situation entering the 2023 season with AJ Swann returning after an impressive freshman season. Fourth-year junior Ken Seals, who has ample experience, is behind him. The Commodores expect senior linebacker Kane Patterson to be one of the leaders on the other side of the football for a team trying to get to bowl eligibility during Clark Lea's third campaign. And Vanderbilt's secondary is veteran-laden.

MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS​

11425977.jpg
(Photo: Jared Thomas , 247Sports)
Returning starters: 11; (7 offense; 4 defense)
Multi-year starting quarterback Will Rogers watched RaRa Thomas leave for Georgia, but Mississippi State's best player is anxious to continue working with the stars who are giving it another go-around in Starkville, including Jaden Walley and tailback Jo'quavious Marks. Replacing first-round cornerback Emmanuel Forbes and defensive tackle Cameron Young are major questions, but the Bulldogs feel they have the talent to do so without a decrease in production. Edge De'Monte Russell could be in for a big season.

KENTUCKY WILDCATS​

11469928.jpg
(Photo: Darrell Bird, 247Sports)
Returning starters: 12; (7 offense; 5 defense)
Kentucky is expecting big things out of speedy wide receiver Barion Brown this fall, who assumes top billing offensively as a preferred target for new quarterback Devin Leary, a transfer from NC State. Zion Childress and safety Jordan Lovett are the only returning starters in the secondary, a position group that's often the most productive on defense during Mark Stoops' tenure in Lexington. Defensive lineman Keeshawn Silver, a 6-foot-4, 325-pound pass rusher, is going to play his share of snaps after coming over from North Carolina.

TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS​

11512989.jpg
(Photo: Kate Luffman/Tennessee Athletics)
When you lose your two most productive pass-catchers (including the Biletnikoff winner) along with an all-conference quarterback, most teams would expect noticeable drop-off offensively — but not the Volunteers. Squirrel White, Oregon transfer Don'te Thornton, Bru McCoy and Joe Milton are the new headliners for Josh Heupel's tempo-based attack and expect to be just as productive as last season's 11-win team. Tennessee is the only team in the SEC that will likely start 10 seniors on defense, too.

LSU TIGERS​

10671854.jpg
(Photo: Scott Clause, USA TODAY Sports)
Returning starters: 12; (8 offense; 4 defense)
Youth up front was supposed to be an issue for the Tigers during Brian Kelly's first season, but quarterback Jayden Daniels made the most of the time he received from a couple freshman tackles and managed a banner campaign during LSU's run to Atlanta. He's back, along with top target Malik Nabers and several stalwarts defensively, including conference player of the year candidates Harold Perkins and Maason Smith.

GEORGIA BULLDOGS​

11338668.jpg
(Photo: Dale Zanine, USA TODAY Sports)
Returning starters: 12; (6 offense; 6 defense)
Several first-rounders are gone off of the Bulldogs' second consecutive national championship team, as is multi-time playoff MVP Stetson Bennett. However, Kirby Smart has recruited with relentless aggression and there are potential starts filling those roles this fall. Georgia picked up two of the SEC's top pass-catching threats in the transfer portal to go alongside All-American tight end Brock Bowers and this secondary could be the nation's best despite losing a couple veterans.

MISSOURI TIGERS​

11325059.jpg
(Photo: Ed Zurga, Getty)
Returning starters: 13; (5 offense; 8 defense)
The Tigers expect to be elite on the defensive side of the football this season with several all-conference candidates returning at all levels. Missouri ranked fourth in the SEC in total defense last season and nearly knocked off top-ranked and unbeaten Georgia at home as a result. Transfer wideout Theo Wease steps into a starting role on offense and will be paired on the outside with former five-star Luther Burden, one of the more versatile players nationally.

OLE MISS REBELS​

11292612.jpg
Returning starters: 13; (8 offense; 5 defense)
Every starter on the Ole Miss defense will either be a junior or senior this season, making this one of the most experienced units in the SEC. Lane Kiffin opted to go transfer portal-heavy again for talent in positions of need, including wide receiver. Jaxson Dart is back under center, but joining the fold in competition is Oklahoma State's Spencer Sanders — a former four-year starter in the Big 12 — and LSU's Walker Howard. The obvious superstar returning starter is Quinshon Judkins, arguably the SEC's top ballcarrier.

TEXAS A&M AGGIES​

Conner Weigman
(Photo: Maria Lysaker, USA TODAY Sports)
Returning starters: 16; (8 offense; 8 defense)

That can be like the old joke in coaching. A coach decides the last game of the season to let all seniors go out for the coin toss. Once the players line up an assistant comes up and says "Coach I have some bad news and some good news". The coach responds "What's that?". The assistant says "Turn around and the good news is there are the players returning". The coach asks what is the bad news and the assistant responds "There are the kids that we have coming back!"

QB - Better
WR - Better
TE - Push
OL - Push
DL - Better
LB - Better
DB - Better

We may be worse in depth like you mentioned but make no mistake, Sampson has better vision and is a better overall RB than Wright was.

Reactions: FBtime
We may be worse in depth like you mentioned but make no mistake, Sampson has better vision and is a better overall RB than Wright was.

Don't disagree at all but Wright/Sampson is undeniably a better duo than Sampson and and an unproven Seldon. At least on the surface.

Don't disagree at all but Wright/Sampson is undeniably a better duo than Sampson and and an unproven Seldon. At least on the surface.
If our OL is good, then Sampson is going to have a monster year. He is the type of RB that has to get 15-20 touches a game running and passing.

QB - Better
WR - Better
TE - Push
OL - Push
DL - Better
LB - Better
DB - Better

I'm with you on all of this. I actually think Sampson was the best of our 3 backs last year. Haven't looked at any numbers to call it a fact, but imho he definitely passed the eye test for me. The fact that he will get more touches makes me think RB could be at least a push.

I have two cents on this - we are much better - at OL, we have guys that will have had an entire extra year in the weight room coming back and will be NFL size and age and body type.
And DL is gonna be so good that our craptastick DBs will have to be better by default.
Said differently - in my eyes, our OL will be better, and our QB will be better thus our offense will be much better - and it will - I expect 2022 level badassness. Our DL will be elite, and thus our D overall will be damn good.
Games are won in the trenches, and we got some 1918 Western Front quality trenches.

As for the above expressed concern about Kentucky …. Damn son. Neyland. Probably At night. Dark mode. They’ll be laying down to die by halftime.

Most returning starters, most experienced teams, ranking team's rosters, etc all fun reads. What would we do in off-season without them. Long before the internet I had boxes of old media guides, SI, Athlon, CFB to entertain myself. Some of you young guys don't know what you missed.

Nico just has to stay healthy. He’s great running the ball but that also opens up the possibility of injury as well. Sampson also better be much better in pass protection or he’ll quickly find himself on the bench.

Here's last year's list for comparison:​

FLORIDA GATORS​

11803445.jpg
(Photo: James Gilbert, Getty)
Returning starters: 7; (3 offense; 4 defense)
The Gators feel great about their two-headed rushing tandem of Montrell Johnson and Travis Etienne, but the rest of the offense is a bit of a question mark outside of returning starters Ricky Pearsall on the outside. Wisconsin transfer Graham Mertz takes over for first-round pick Anthony Richardson at quarterback after starting the last few seasons in the Big Ten. Florida is much more comfortable about its two-deep defensively with defensive back Kamari Wilson and pass rusher Princely Umanmielen among the most dependable returning starters.

ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS​

Raheim Sanders
(Photo: John Reed, USA TODAY Sports)
Returning starters: 7; (4 offense; 3 defense)
KJ Jefferson and Raheim Sanders anchor this new-look Arkansas offense under first-year coordinator Dan Enos, but don't expect the Razorbacks to reinvent the wheel. They know where their bread is buttered and two of the league's top playmakers will be asked to shoulder the load. On defense, Arkansas has a bunch of new starters out of the transfer portal, but cornerback Dwight McGlothern has been around and was an All-SEC player last fall. The coaching staff is hopeful Taurean Carter is a difference-maker in the trenches after missing his 2022 campaign with a knee injury.

AUBURN TIGERS​

11384844.jpg
Returning starters: 9; (2 offense; 7 defense)
Returning starters at wide receiver, Ja’Varrius Johnson and Koy Moore, are two of the top names in a vastly upgraded position group which includes a couple transfer portal additions. The same goes for Auburn's offensive front. Former Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne is the likely QB1 if he's able to beat out Robby Ashford in August. With star tailback Jarquez Hunter's status unknown for the 2023 season following an off-the-field issue this spring, that means Damari Alston and transfer Brian Battie would handle the bulk of the rushing load. D.J. James and Nehemiah Prichett are returning starters at cornerback.

SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCKS​

11810415.jpg
(Photo: Eakin Howard, Getty)
Returning starters: 9; (5 offense; 4 defense)
The most notable playmakers returning for the Gamecocks are quarterback Spencer Rattler and wideout Juice Wells, who both considered jumping to the NFL following the 2022 season. Through NIL partnerships and a budding relationship with first-year OC Dowell Loggains, one of the SEC's best 1-2 punches on offense returns for South Carolina. Safety Nick Emmanwori was a true freshman All-American last fall and headlines a defense that needs to produce this season. The availability of left tackle Jaylen Nichols is unknown this summer after an injury during the spring and if he can't go, that pushes South Carolina's number of returning starters offensively to only four. The Gamecocks would've had double-digit returnees, but several big names departed for the portal.

ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE​

11698719.png
(Photo: Courtesy of Alabama Athletics)
Returning starters: 9; (4 offense; 5 defense)
The most glaring vacancies for the Crimson Tide come at quarterback and edge where Bryce Young and Will Anderson Jr. left as two of the program's most decorated stars of all-time. Alabama has a position battle on its hands entering fall camp between Jalen Milroe, Ty Simpson and Notre Dame transfer Tyler Buchner under center. Replacing Jahmyr Gibbs in the backfield is likely true freshman five-star Justice Haynes. Fellow elite freshman Caleb Downs assumes a first-team role at the back end of the defense. This offensive front, led by JC Latham, will be an anchor.

VANDERBILT COMMODORES​

11380402.jpg
(Photo: © George Walker IV / Tennessean.com / USA TODAY NETWORK, USA TODAY Sports)
Returning starters: 10; (6 offense; 4 defense)
Vanderbilt feels great about its quarterback situation entering the 2023 season with AJ Swann returning after an impressive freshman season. Fourth-year junior Ken Seals, who has ample experience, is behind him. The Commodores expect senior linebacker Kane Patterson to be one of the leaders on the other side of the football for a team trying to get to bowl eligibility during Clark Lea's third campaign. And Vanderbilt's secondary is veteran-laden.

MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS​

11425977.jpg
(Photo: Jared Thomas , 247Sports)
Returning starters: 11; (7 offense; 4 defense)
Multi-year starting quarterback Will Rogers watched RaRa Thomas leave for Georgia, but Mississippi State's best player is anxious to continue working with the stars who are giving it another go-around in Starkville, including Jaden Walley and tailback Jo'quavious Marks. Replacing first-round cornerback Emmanuel Forbes and defensive tackle Cameron Young are major questions, but the Bulldogs feel they have the talent to do so without a decrease in production. Edge De'Monte Russell could be in for a big season.

KENTUCKY WILDCATS​

11469928.jpg
(Photo: Darrell Bird, 247Sports)
Kentucky is expecting big things out of speedy wide receiver Barion Brown this fall, who assumes top billing offensively as a preferred target for new quarterback Devin Leary, a transfer from NC State. Zion Childress and safety Jordan Lovett are the only returning starters in the secondary, a position group that's often the most productive on defense during Mark Stoops' tenure in Lexington. Defensive lineman Keeshawn Silver, a 6-foot-4, 325-pound pass rusher, is going to play his share of snaps after coming over from North Carolina.

TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS​

11512989.jpg
(Photo: Kate Luffman/Tennessee Athletics)
When you lose your two most productive pass-catchers (including the Biletnikoff winner) along with an all-conference quarterback, most teams would expect noticeable drop-off offensively — but not the Volunteers. Squirrel White, Oregon transfer Don'te Thornton, Bru McCoy and Joe Milton are the new headliners for Josh Heupel's tempo-based attack and expect to be just as productive as last season's 11-win team. Tennessee is the only team in the SEC that will likely start 10 seniors on defense, too.

LSU TIGERS​

10671854.jpg
(Photo: Scott Clause, USA TODAY Sports)
Returning starters: 12; (8 offense; 4 defense)
Youth up front was supposed to be an issue for the Tigers during Brian Kelly's first season, but quarterback Jayden Daniels made the most of the time he received from a couple freshman tackles and managed a banner campaign during LSU's run to Atlanta. He's back, along with top target Malik Nabers and several stalwarts defensively, including conference player of the year candidates Harold Perkins and Maason Smith.

GEORGIA BULLDOGS​

11338668.jpg
(Photo: Dale Zanine, USA TODAY Sports)
Returning starters: 12; (6 offense; 6 defense)
Several first-rounders are gone off of the Bulldogs' second consecutive national championship team, as is multi-time playoff MVP Stetson Bennett. However, Kirby Smart has recruited with relentless aggression and there are potential starts filling those roles this fall. Georgia picked up two of the SEC's top pass-catching threats in the transfer portal to go alongside All-American tight end Brock Bowers and this secondary could be the nation's best despite losing a couple veterans.

MISSOURI TIGERS​

11325059.jpg
(Photo: Ed Zurga, Getty)
Returning starters: 13; (5 offense; 8 defense)
The Tigers expect to be elite on the defensive side of the football this season with several all-conference candidates returning at all levels. Missouri ranked fourth in the SEC in total defense last season and nearly knocked off top-ranked and unbeaten Georgia at home as a result. Transfer wideout Theo Wease steps into a starting role on offense and will be paired on the outside with former five-star Luther Burden, one of the more versatile players nationally.

OLE MISS REBELS​

11292612.jpg
Returning starters: 13; (8 offense; 5 defense)
Every starter on the Ole Miss defense will either be a junior or senior this season, making this one of the most experienced units in the SEC. Lane Kiffin opted to go transfer portal-heavy again for talent in positions of need, including wide receiver. Jaxson Dart is back under center, but joining the fold in competition is Oklahoma State's Spencer Sanders — a former four-year starter in the Big 12 — and LSU's Walker Howard. The obvious superstar returning starter is Quinshon Judkins, arguably the SEC's top ballcarrier.

TEXAS A&M AGGIES​

Conner Weigman
(Photo: Maria Lysaker, USA TODAY Sports)
Returning starters: 16; (8 offense; 8 defense)
Yay!
Our 2023 passing game was going to be as productive as the 11-win 2022 team.
And A&M had the most returning starters.

Very effective post demonstrating how returning starter numbers can be a big factor, but also just one of many factors.

Nico just has to stay healthy. He’s great running the ball but that also opens up the possibility of injury as well. Sampson also better be much better in pass protection or he’ll quickly find himself on the bench.
if this was last year I would completely agree with you on Sampson. But even if he struggles with pass pro, bench him for who?

I don't put a lot of stock in returning player #s , Vandy could return 23 and still would be awful. And how many really wanted our defensive backfield to remain the same. Along that line we no longer have 9 returning as Herring hit the portal, I liked his contribution and wish him luck,but we ain't going to miss him badly.

VN Store

Back