Shortstop for Softball

Mimi#1

I just heard Coach Weekly say that we lost Bella Faw about 4 weeks ago. I knew that Laura Mealor had been playing shortstop for Tennessee for a while, but I thought she might have won that position in practice, but evidently it wasn't that. What happened to Bella Faw? Did she get injured in a practice or game? Just wondering.

Reactions: loyaladyvolfan
I just heard Coach Weekly say that we lost Bella Faw about 4 weeks ago. I knew that Laura Mealor had been playing shortstop for Tennessee for a while, but I thought she might have won that position in practice, but evidently it wasn't that. What happened to Bella Faw? Did she get injured in a practice or game? Just wondering.
Never heard anyone say but she has been in a walking boot for several week i think

Reactions: knoxvol52
Foot injury before the South Carolina series. Doubt we see her again this year. Just now off of crutches, still in a boot.

Foot injury before the South Carolina series. Doubt we see her again this year. Just now off of crutches, still in a boot.
As I mentioned earlier tonight, Bella was walking very well in a very minimal half-boot tonight that barely covered her ankle area. I think we will see her playing again this season, so we can start debating again whether she should be playing shortstop instead of Mealer.

As I mentioned earlier tonight, Bella was walking very well in a very minimal half-boot tonight that barely covered her ankle area. I think we will see her playing again this season, so we can start debating again whether she should be playing shortstop instead of Mealer.
There is no debate. Mealer should stay SS

There's no way God's green Earth she should be in the lineup over Mealer.

I’d be willing to bet that she doesn’t play again this season.

Get well soon Bella...BUT Laura Mealor is a heck of a player...idk she was the backup still...GBO 🧡💙🥎💙🧡

Reactions: Lady Vols Fan
I’d be willing to bet that she doesn’t play again this season.
At the time of her injury Coach Weekly said she would be out four weeks. Four weeks from then is not the end of the season when you add in the NCAA tourney. As mentioned, she is starting to walk well again and she is one of Karen's favorites, so go figure. Don't be surprised if we see her again if not in a supporting role.

At the time of her injury Coach Weekly said she would be out four weeks. Four weeks from then is not the end of the season when you add in the NCAA tourney. As mentioned, she is starting to walk well again and she is one of Karen's favorites, so go figure. Don't be surprised if we see her again if not in a supporting role.
I believe the timeframe was actually 4–6 weeks. But there is a big difference between being able to walk without a limp in a walking boot and having the lateral movement to play the shortstop position effectively. She has been on crutches and in a boot since the week before the South Carolina series. You can surmise from that timeline that she has not taken a ground ball or swung a bat since then. Probably has not been able to do any conditioning work, either.

I think it would be difficult to ask anyone who has not fielded a ball or swung a bat in almost 6 weeks to be able to come back, not experience a setback with the injury, and knock off the rust enough to take a starting position at the most important time of the year. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I don’t anticipate that happening, particularly if there is any minor setback in her recovery once she is out of the boot and back playing.

I don’t understand the “Karen’s favorites” comment. Nobody at this level plays favorites. People can make that accusation on message boards, but no Coach hampers their team’s performance and chance of winning a championship to play somebody that they like better than somebody else. Just doesn’t happen. Did Karen hype her at the beginning of the season? Absolutely. So did every other person that watched her on the field in fall ball and at the start of practice. She didn’t hit nearly as well as anticipated, but nobody else was stepping up to take that spot in the lineup at the time, either.

When you see her in uniform and not playing, it’ll be close. Best case would be post season

I believe the timeframe was actually 4–6 weeks. But there is a big difference between being able to walk without a limp in a walking boot and having the lateral movement to play the shortstop position effectively. She has been on crutches and in a boot since the week before the South Carolina series. You can surmise from that timeline that she has not taken a ground ball or swung a bat since then. Probably has not been able to do any conditioning work, either.

I think it would be difficult to ask anyone who has not fielded a ball or swung a bat in almost 6 weeks to be able to come back, not experience a setback with the injury, and knock off the rust enough to take a starting position at the most important time of the year. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I don’t anticipate that happening, particularly if there is any minor setback in her recovery once she is out of the boot and back playing.

I don’t understand the “Karen’s favorites” comment. Nobody at this level plays favorites. People can make that accusation on message boards, but no Coach hampers their team’s performance and chance of winning a championship to play somebody that they like better than somebody else. Just doesn’t happen. Did Karen hype her at the beginning of the season? Absolutely. So did every other person that watched her on the field in fall ball and at the start of practice. She didn’t hit nearly as well as anticipated, but nobody else was stepping up to take that spot in the lineup at the time, either.

Don't be naive: Coaches have biases, like everybody else. It does happen, and it did happen. You don't think Faw would have played over the last month if she hadn't gotten hurt? I'm quite certain she would have, despite her anemic batting avg.

Don't be naive: Coaches have biases, like everybody else. It does happen, and it did happen. You don't think Faw would have played over the last month if she hadn't gotten hurt? I'm quite certain she would have, despite her anemic batting avg.
Of course she would have played, she was starting. Actually had a better SEC batting average than Rodriguez or Koutsoyanopulos.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Of course she would have played, she was starting. Actually had a better SEC batting average than Rodriguez or Koutsoyanopulos.

Of course? She had 3 hits total in 25 game appearances, 22/23 starts. Weekly started her long past the time when she could have inserted
the better player in Mealer at SS position. Mealer has 3 errors in 39 game appearances, Faw 8 in 25. Mealer BA of .316, Faw .094. Weekly clearly had her mind set on starting Faw from the get-go and clearly seemed determined to stick with her despite her obvious struggles. She certainly doesn't do that with other players--notably pitchers. I'm not trying to knock Faw--let's hope she becomes a good player--but the performance levels speak for themselves.

Of course? She had 3 hits total in 25 game appearances, 22/23 starts. Weekly started her long past the time when she could have inserted
the better player in Mealer at SS position. Mealer has 3 errors in 39 game appearances, Faw 8 in 25. Mealer BA of .316, Faw .094. Weekly clearly had her mind set on starting Faw from the get-go and clearly seemed determined to stick with her despite her obvious struggles. She certainly doesn't do that with other players--notably pitchers. I'm not trying to knock Faw--let's hope she becomes a good player--but the performance levels speak for themselves.
Well, again, the comparison isn’t her with Mealer, because Mealer was still in the lineup, regardless of what Faw was doing. The comparison is Faw and Rodriguez and or Koutsoyanopulos, because those are the two players that would not necessarily be in the lineup if Faw was.

Faw also had 2 home runs the week she got hurt, so it certainly appeared that she was turning a corner at the plate, regardless.

I agree completely.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Well, again, the comparison isn’t her with Mealer, because Mealer was still in the lineup, regardless of what Faw was doing. The comparison is Faw and Rodriguez and or Koutsoyanopulos, because those are the two players that would not necessarily be in the lineup if Faw was.

Faw also had 2 home runs the week she got hurt, so it certainly appeared that she was turning a corner at the plate, regardless.

The batting averages of the two players you mention are far above Faw's, which was the lowest on the team from day 1. Coaches do have their biases, as anyone who's been around coaching and sports for an extended period knows. We all hope they don't, but in some cases, occasionally, they clearly do.

The batting averages of the two players you mention are far above Faw's, which was the lowest on the team from day 1. Coaches do have their biases, as anyone who's been around coaching and sports for an extended period knows. We all hope they don't, but in some cases, occasionally, they clearly do.

Check those conference stats you asked for the other day again.

This is true but I don’t really think Karen plays favorites. Ralph definitely did, though.

VN Store

Back