The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

It really hurts my feeling to see some people here dissing football.

And I only had one feeling left. 😂
Blame the powers that be. Coaches, universities, conferences. All of them. Once they started handing out those ridiculous contracts to coach a college football team it was bound to go to 💩

And now because the sport has become so money hungry they are going to have a bunch of college kids playing club sports instead of actual D-1 athletics because now the chickens have come home to roost. They won’t have enough money to support those sports and it’s a damn shame.

His career slash line is .219/.225/.387

Don’t really need to expound upon that 😂
Got to get his feet wet somewhere. Did they say he was going to be like superman and hit 40 homers left & right each time he comes up to bat? No need to keep bashing the player who is playing as well as he can. Everyone has to do his job when they are asked to do so. I don’t expect much from him but for now he takes the place of an injured player just filling in for now.

Got to get his feet wet somewhere. Did they say he was going to be like superman and hit 40 homers left & right each time he comes up to bat? No need to keep bashing the player who is playing as well as he can.
Not really trying to bash him but he is 29 years old at this point so you know what he is and isn’t. And we have our regular starter on IL and the backup on a rest day. It’s just a bad situation to be in to have to play your 3rd stringer that is usually playing in the minors.

Not really trying to bash him but he is 29 years old at this point so you know what he is and isn’t. And we have our regular starter on IL and the backup on a rest day. It’s just a bad situation to be in to have to play your 3rd stringer that is usually playing in the minors.
I know if I was in his shoes I would be changing my underwear a lot when I’m battling in the big leagues.

Scholarship rosters are 85, most big time programs have close to 120. Why the heck do you need 120 players to run a collegiate football team? 😂

If you cut the scholarship players down to 70, you can still have like 25 or so walk ons if you want. You tell me how they are going to spread $21M across 600 student athletes? That’s not a whole lot once you break down. That’s $35k per student athlete. Oh but wait those football players and basketball players aren’t playing for that little money. We already have a QB with a $8M NIL deal. The going rate for a starting QB is only going to go up. And what about those hot shot WRs that want their cut? Or those RBs that want to get insurance because the NFL RB contracts are not worth near as much as other positions? Or those guys in the trenches that get beat up every day? $21M is not going to be enough to satisfy these players and everyone knows it. So what do you have to do to circumvent that? You have to make cuts somewhere. And guess what, we only had an $11M gap in revenue vs expenses so you’re already going to have to pull from somewhere else to make up that $10M. You either have to cut an entire sports program or cut 15 scholarships from football. Which would you rather do? Or would you rather pay $1000 per ticket for nosebleed seats to circumvent the issue?
You don't even understand what you're talking about. The walk-ons by definition don't have scholarships. They may be reduced to make other non-football fans happy (as it appears), but has nothing to do with paying scholarship players.

They may keep the rosters at 85. Maybe they'll increase them to 90 or 95, so a few of those walk-ons can participate in a cut-throat competition for a few extra spots. Everyone else gets the axe. I don't understand the pleasure people apparently find in that. The further you cut the roster, the more "git shirts" you have to give out every year. I remember a discussion in this forum in the off season, and most people here were outraged or at least very saddened at the idea of pulling baseball scholarships when kids get recruited or portal-ed over.

But to set all that aside, here is the solution:

You tell me how they are going to spread $21M across 600 student athletes? ...That’s $35k per student athlete.
See, you already know the answer, you just can't quit complaining about the football team long enough to see it. 35K is the salary.

Every player on every team gets the same 35K. Now maybe that is unjust, since different students and teams make wildly different contributions to revenues (or losses). Etc. But unjust things happen every day.

Oh but wait those football players and basketball players ...
The people who pay for everything are really pissing you off. Stay calm. I thought you were one of our "everything school" and "all for one and one for all" guys.

Anyway, again the answer is simple. NIL.

NIL is the only thing that the corrupt NCAA (that caused this entire problem by burying its head in the sand for years) can't stop. And it turns out to be the only thing that works. Funny how that happens.

In sum, every player across the board gets the same salary. Every player across the board has the right to profit from their name, image, and likeness. The latter is whatever the market bears.

Last edited:
You don't even understand what you're talking about. The walk-ons by definition don't have scholarships. They may be reduced to make other non-football fans happy (as it appears), but has nothing to do with paying scholarship players.

They may keep the rosters at 85. Maybe they'll increase them to 90 or 95, so a few of those walk-ons can participate in a cut-throat competition for a few extra spots. Everyone else gets the axe. I don't understand the pleasure people apparently find in that. The further you cut the roster, the more "git shirts" you have to give out every year. I remember a discussion in this forum in the off season, and most people here were outraged or at least very saddened at the idea of pulling baseball scholarships when kids get recruited or portal-ed over.

But to set all that aside, here is the solution:

See, you already know the answer, you just can't quit complaining about the football team long enough to see it. 35K is the salary.

Every player on every team gets the same 35K. Now maybe that is unjust, since different students and teams make wildly different contributions to revenues (or losses). Etc. But unjust things happen every day.

The people who pay for everything are really pissing you off. Stay calm. I thought you were one of our "everything school" and "all for one and one for all" guys.

Anyway, again the answer is simple. NIL.

NIL is the only thing that the corrupt NCAA (that caused this entire problem by burying its head in the sand for years) can't stop. And it turns out to be the only thing that works. Funny how that happens.

In sum, every player across the board gets the same salary. Every player across the board has the right to profit from their name, image, and likeness. The latter is whatever the market bears.
Ok if you think a starting QB in the SEC is going to be alright getting paid as much as the 3rd and 4th stringers then by all means. But you know good and well these star players aren’t going to play for $35k 😂

Reactions: knoxvol52
Re-read. They will get NIL.
Re-read. A star player WILL NOT play if he is getting the same salary as a 3rd or 4th string player. Would you settle for getting paid the same as someone in your field whenever you are the top 1% and they are not even producing a fraction of your results? I don’t think you get how much that is going to play in the minds of 18-22 year olds. They aren’t going to settle and that salary is just going to keep going up over the years.

And you keep saying I’m after the football team. I love the football team but I’m not naive enough to think a star football player is willing to get paid as much as a rower. The amount of money football brings in compared to all the other sports combined is laughable. The football players should get paid more because they bring in the majority of the money. I’m just telling you that everyone getting paid equally is a pipe dream and is never going to happen.

Re-read. A star player WILL NOT play if he is getting the same salary as a 3rd or 4th string player. Would you settle for getting paid the same as someone in your field whenever you are the top 1% and they are not even producing a fraction of your results? I don’t think you get how much that is going to play in the minds of 18-22 year olds. They aren’t going to settle and that salary is just going to keep going up over the years.
You mean Nico would be upset making same amount as Navy Shuler?🤔🤔

VN Store

Back