The Endzone Garden Thread

The fertilizer sounds like it might be the main issue. I was actually late starting it, and it was pretty amazing how quickly they responded.

Also, for the lights, they were in a tent (ahem) in the basement (ahem), and I didn't water them as often as I should have. Several definitely got the droops, more than once, but they don't seem to have been permanently weakened.

Of course, now they're in danger of being drowned outside. Can't win.
You inspired me. I mixed a little fish fertilizer at lunch at fed the reamining plants waiting on transplant.

Reactions: VolNExile
You inspired me. I mixed a little fish fertilizer at lunch at fed the reamining plants waiting on transplant.
They'll catch up!

It took me a year to realize that most seed starting mixes don't have fertilizer (that's not their job.) I felt very Homer Simpson d'oh when it finally occurred to me.

I cut a ditch across the top of garden to keep water from running through it. It didn’t work , I’ve got two ditches running through it
Did you lose any plants? 😲 I’m so over the storms.

Have you tried a ditch + berm? (a hill between the ditch and garden) You might have to have logs and large rocks as the innards of the berm for reinforcement.

If you’ve got seriously stubborn runoff, maybe a V-shaped ditch (ditches?) with the point of the V away from the garden to divert water to both sides.

Spitballin’ here, because in my mountain city, my backyard is truly pancake-flat. Everything just soaks into the ground.

Have you tried a ditch + berm? (a hill between the ditch and garden) You might have to have logs and large rocks as the innards of the berm for reinforcement.

If you’ve got seriously stubborn runoff, maybe a V-shaped ditch (ditches?) with the point of the V away from the garden to divert water to both sides.

Spitballin’ here, because in my mountain city, my backyard is truly pancake-flat. Everything just soaks into the ground.
Not so fast...Mon/Tue/Wed next week 80% just 3 hours due west of you.

Water ran over some okra and beans . It’s supposed to start raining again Monday evening. I guess it’s going to be one of those years. Grass is starting to spring up.

Wheat harvesting must be inefficient. Recent rains have rinsed the seeds into the dirt, and my garden has more sprouts than in previous years.

True story.
The deer ate all my Hostas a couple years back. They were beautiful one day and gone the next. So I go the the landscape center to find an anti-deer spray. They had one. So I read the ingredients on the back. There were 2. Urine and water. So I thought….well I make that naturally for free and I have a pump up sprayer. It works great. The deer leave my plants alone. Yesterday a neighbor was asking me how I keep the deer from eating my plants and I told him “just pee on them”.

True story.
The deer ate all my Hostas a couple years back. They were beautiful one day and gone the next. So I go the the landscape center to find an anti-deer spray. They had one. So I read the ingredients on the back. There were 2. Urine and water. So I thought….well I make that naturally for free and I have a pump up sprayer. It works great. The deer leave my plants alone. Yesterday a neighbor was asking me how I keep the deer from eating my plants and I told him “just pee on them”.
It works, me and the grandson pee around the perimeter of the garden

True story.
Won't that make my green beans taste funny?! lol.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Scam!! Same size plant as 15 minutes before, in a slightly larger pot. Charges $10.95 instead of $5.95.
$4, regardless of size.

Next year, I’m starting seeds two weeks later and in 4” pots, and they won’t get repotted. Life’s too short to do all that for 4 bucks (which doesn’t come to me.)

Reactions: ArdentVol
$4, regardless of size.

Next year, I’m starting seeds two weeks later and in 4” pots, and they won’t get repotted. Life’s too short to do all that for 4 bucks (which doesn’t come to me.)
The real scam is at big box retailers. Lowe's here in town is like 5.95 per plant/tomato, most items, that are prob the size pot up from the 4". At the local garden center (the menonites atleast) I can get a starter cup 4 pack of 8+ inch sturdy maters for 2.95. I always keep tabs and have a couple back-ups in case my starter transplants go awry.

VN Store

Back