Who here remembers

I was also at the first game at TBA, up in the 300's. IIrc, Clarence Swearagen dunked for the first basket at TBA and the Vols beat Marquette

Off of the opening tip. One thing confuses me though. I thought that he dunked on the goal that is in front of where TN sits. Maybe I’m remembering it off of the video since I sat on the teams’ side of the court and it’s a reversed view with the TV cameras on the opposite side.

Technically somebody for the Lady Vols (or their opponent) scored the first TBA basket.

Reactions: The Dog
Off of the opening tip. One thing confuses me though. I thought that he dunked on the goal that is in front of where TN sits. Maybe I’m remembering it off of the video since I sat on the teams’ side of the court and it’s a reversed view with the TV cameras on the opposite side.

Technically somebody for the Lady Vols (or their opponent) scored the first TBA basket.
I was on the TBA side that faces the river and CS dunk was to my right (West), if that helps and makes sense.

I was on the TBA side that faces the river and CS dunk was to my right (West), if that helps and makes sense.

That confirms what I remember but doesn’t resolve why TN was using that goal in the first half instead of the second half. I don’t remember the benches being anywhere else. Maybe the visitors got to pick ends of the court and Marquette picked the opposite basket.

Reactions: The Dog
It was late in the game against LSU. Student section was killing Doug Roth and he hit a 3 and promptly ran down the court with his middle finger in the air and got ejected. Tennessee basketball was so bad back then that it was probably one of the highlights of the season.
The funniest part was the tv announcers trying to figure out what caused the technical. The producers finally followed the Karns High graduate down the court after he hit the shot and clearly showed him flipping off the student section. What a highlight, lol (or low-light as the case may be).

I was also at the first game at TBA, up in the 300's. IIrc, Clarence Swearagen dunked for the first basket at TBA and the Vols beat Marquette
Remember when he and teammate Travis Henry were lighting it up at Karns High School back in the day. Good ole days, when bumper stickers of "Go Johnny go and take Don DeVoe" were on a lot of cars.

I wish I still had the hardhat from that first game.

Everybody used to make fun of Travis Henry and said the only reason he was on the team was because of Doug Roth (probably true). I saw him at the Rec playing pick up ball one time. You would’ve thought he was Michael Jordan against those guys that didn’t make it past high school but thought they were great. Goes to show the quality of competition at that level.

Later on, I saw him at my mom’s church in Nashville. It was bizarre. Like you’re in a dream going to church with your mom and all of a sudden Travis Henry shows up.

My dad took me to games back then. I was probably around 10. I remember getting Dyron Nix's autograph. Good memories.

Doug Roth #50. Late 1980s. He went to high school at Knox Karns. :cool:

Attachments

• Doug Roth_Tennessee Basketball.jpg
    Doug Roth_Tennessee Basketball.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: krichunaka
Doug had a glass eye, and the LSU fans were chanting at him about it. There was one other agitating circumstance—

He had a tiny cheerleader girlfriend that he’d lift up onto the bar at the Lap so he could talk to her at (one) eye level. She was a character and would lead people in chants and songs. She had a very funny limerick about Bama fans. That night at the LSU game, she was ready to run up into the stands over those bad swamp fans. Finally Doug had enough… Good ole days.
I used to call him 'Deadeye' when he was playing bad. Which was often.

It was late in the game against LSU. Student section was killing Doug Roth and he hit a 3 and promptly ran down the court with his middle finger in the air and got ejected. Tennessee basketball was so bad back then that it was probably one of the highlights of the season.
My minds eye seems to remember the TV having him running right to left down the far sideline hand raised and head shaking back and forth.

Remember when he and teammate Travis Henry were lighting it up at Karns High School back in the day. Good ole days, when bumper stickers of "Go Johnny go and take Don DeVoe" were on a lot of cars.
And Joey Brooks. That was a fun high school basketball team.

I seem to recall us ending up with Travis Henry, and we let Morristown West standout John Caylor leave for Auburn in the same recruiting year. If we didn't offer to Caylor, but gave a scholarship to Henry, it's a travesty.

I seem to recall us ending up with Travis Henry, and we let Morristown West standout John Caylor leave for Auburn in the same recruiting year. If we didn't offer to Caylor, but gave a scholarship to Henry, it's a travesty.
Caylor had that game winning shot to beat undefeated Kentucky, in Lexington.

Reactions: b-ball fan
Seeing that made me remember the conversation 16 year old me had with 2 other like minded individuals watching the game who were impressed at the replay showing Roth’s perfect finger placement when he shot said bird lol.
Great form for sure. A friend nicknamed David the T-Bird after that....didn't stick.
He had one heck of game in Knoxville against those guys. Both memories made me smile.

Can they re-create John Ward via A.I. to call the Vols?

I don’t remember what happened with Rickey Clark. He was a sophomore in that clip and only played 8 games as a junior and he didn’t play as a senior. That LSU game was 1/11/1989.

Can they re-create John Ward via A.I. to call the Vols?

I don’t remember what happened with Rickey Clark. He was a sophomore in that clip and only played 8 games as a junior and he didn’t play as a senior. That LSU game was 1/11/1989.

After that win TN was 11-1. Went 8-10 the rest of the way and Devoe was fired.

Doug Roth catching a pass at the free throw line possibly after the opening tipoff. Doug looking hesitant as the defender backed off, the whole of TBA including the opposing bench screaming shoot it. Doug heaving it up and in at the request. Doug then flipping off the opposing team’s bench as he ran back down the court, getting T’d up. I was at the game, but only a wee Vol, like 6 or 7 at the time. It still makes me laugh when it randomly pops in my head. Was it against Schintzius and the gators? Someone help jog my memory.

I think that was against LSU in Baton Rouge when he flipped off their student section.

Reactions: EasternVol
Doug had a glass eye, and the LSU fans were chanting at him about it. There was one other agitating circumstance—

He had a tiny cheerleader girlfriend that he’d lift up onto the bar at the Lap so he could talk to her at (one) eye level. She was a character and would lead people in chants and songs. She had a very funny limerick about Bama fans. That night at the LSU game, she was ready to run up into the stands over those bad swamp fans. Finally Doug had enough… Good ole days.
I don’t care what anyone says, Doug Roth is a damn Vol legend!!

VN Store

Back