‘Obsession with Defending Criminals’: HIV Transmission Decriminalized in Illinois

Franklin Pierce

Gov-J-B-Pritzker-Illinois-press-getty-72021-afp-640x480.jpg

Illinois Democrat Gov. J.B. Pritzker signed a law Tuesday decriminalizing HIV transmission. He also signed laws creating “gender-neutral” marriage certificates and expanding fertility insurance for LGBT couples and single parents.

According to a press release from the governor’s office, in an effort to “end HIV,” HB 1036 “modernizes the approach to public health regarding HIV in Illinois, by decriminalizing the transmission of HIV.”

Illinois state Rep. Carol Ammons (D-Urbana), who came under scrutiny in May after disrespecting a fallen police officer on the state House floor, posted on Twitter, “laws that criminalize HIV were never about public health and safety. They were about pushing LGBTQ+ people, particularly within Black and Brown communities”:

HB 2590, a gender-neutral marriage certificate law signed Tuesday, allows a currently married couple to change the pronouns on their certificate and receive an updated copy. The other law, SB 139, allows couples planning to marry to choose genderless language such as “spouse” instead of “husband” and “wife.”

HIV Transmission Decriminalized in Illinois

Gov-J-B-Pritzker-Illinois-press-getty-72021-afp-640x480.jpg

Illinois Democrat Gov. J.B. Pritzker signed a law Tuesday decriminalizing HIV transmission. He also signed laws creating “gender-neutral” marriage certificates and expanding fertility insurance for LGBT couples and single parents.

According to a press release from the governor’s office, in an effort to “end HIV,” HB 1036 “modernizes the approach to public health regarding HIV in Illinois, by decriminalizing the transmission of HIV.”

Illinois state Rep. Carol Ammons (D-Urbana), who came under scrutiny in May after disrespecting a fallen police officer on the state House floor, posted on Twitter, “laws that criminalize HIV were never about public health and safety. They were about pushing LGBTQ+ people, particularly within Black and Brown communities”:

HB 2590, a gender-neutral marriage certificate law signed Tuesday, allows a currently married couple to change the pronouns on their certificate and receive an updated copy. The other law, SB 139, allows couples planning to marry to choose genderless language such as “spouse” instead of “husband” and “wife.”

HIV Transmission Decriminalized in Illinois
Hope he has a coronary soon

Reactions: FLVOL_79
“laws that criminalize HIV were never about public health and safety. They were about pushing (punishing?) LGBTQ+ people, particularly within Black and Brown communities”:

lol wtf? With that kind of logic I'd love to hear this slobs take on murder.

“laws that criminalize HIV were never about public health and safety. They were about pushing (punishing?) LGBTQ+ people, particularly within Black and Brown communities”:

lol wtf? With that kind of logic I'd love to hear this slobs take on murder.
Sad

HIV/AIDS took a while to be truly addressed in the US because it was considered a "gay disease" by the Religious Right whispering in Reagan's ear. That's what was preached in my church, too. Cishetero people had nothing to worry about, as God would protect us from harm.

So this person's comments on that front do make sense, even if I don't necessarily agree with the action on this. I actually strongly disagree with his position on this.

Shortly after proposing to my wife, I was tested for this and other transmissible diseases I may have gotten from my first fiance. If I carry a life altering illness that I could give someone else, it is my moral and ethical obligation to tell them before I put them in a position to be infected.

HIV may no longer be a death sentence, but it's still a life altering condition. I strongly disapprove of this action.

Reactions: tntar heel
HIV/AIDS took a while to be truly addressed in the US because it was considered a "gay disease" by the Religious Right whispering in Reagan's ear. That's what was preached in my church, too. Cishetero people had nothing to worry about, as God would protect us from harm.

So this person's comments on that front do make sense, even if I don't necessarily agree with the action on this. I actually strongly disagree with his position on this.

Shortly after proposing to my wife, I was tested for this and other transmissible diseases I may have gotten from my first fiance. If I carry a life altering illness that I could give someone else, it is my moral and ethical obligation to tell them before I put them in a position to be infected.

HIV may no longer be a death sentence, but it's still a life altering condition. I strongly disapprove of this action.
Its interesting how its gone from being a "Gay disease" to a black disease.

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back