⚽️ #25 Lady Vols vs Vandy (4PM TODAY SECN+) Free Admission Regal Soccer Stadium

Thanks, Waffle House is still open and Jim Cantore is about 260 miles from us so we good.
Just curious about the 16 year old Alabama soccer player from Tennessee?
Did Tennessee recruit her?
Don't know anything about her.
But you got to be smart to get in to college at 16.
This is not a attack on Vols new coach but during the Tennessee vs Alabama soccer game they said she was from Tennessee.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Just curious about the 16 year old Alabama soccer player from Tennessee?
Did Tennessee recruit her?
Don't know anything about her.
But you got to be smart to get in to college at 16.
This is not an attack on Vols new coach but during the Tennessee vs Alabama soccer game they said she was from Tennessee.
You are talking about Maddie Padelski. I didn’t realize she was that young, but you are right. Who knows why she chose Alabama, there could have been several other factors. One thing is for sure, she is gonna be a superstar.

You are talking about Maddie Padelski. I didn’t realize she was that young, but you are right. Who knows why she chose Alabama, there could have been several other factors. One thing is for sure, she is gonna be a superstar.
I recalled TV people saying she was on under 17 team USA team.
It takes time for a new Coach to built recruiting inroads being a first time head college Coach.
But Tennessee developing their offense like against #6 Alabama defense in scoring will help.
Tennessee more than a top 3 defense against scoring.
In recruits mind.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
I recalled TV people saying she was on under 17 team USA team.
It takes time for a new Coach to built recruiting inroads being a first time head college Coach.
But Tennessee developing their offense like against #6 Alabama defense in scoring will help.
Tennessee more than a top 3 defense against scoring.
In recruits mind.
Here is a list of 2026 TOP commits, Tennessee has 3 on there, 2 of them announced their verbal commit just this week.
IMG_0889.jpegIMG_0889.jpeg

This is a list of all the 2026 verbal commits. Tennessee has 6.
IMG_0891.jpegIMG_0891.jpeg

IMG_0894.jpeg

Another great article on Mac Midgley and Sammi Woods.

Childhood friends reunite on rebuilding UT soccer squad​

Monday, September 30, 2024, Vol. 48, No. 39
By Rhiannon Potkey​

IMG_0901.png

Midgley and Woods played soccer together in Michigan before getting back together at UT.
-- Tennessee Athletics/Utsports.Com

The six teammates from the Michigan Hawks club soccer program in Livonia, Michigan, didn’t want their relationships to end once they all departed for college. They turned to modern technology to keep their bond strong over the last five years.
The group used Snapchat to vlog about their daily experiences at the University of Tennessee, Bowling Green University, the University of Miami, Indiana University and the University of Michigan. The short videos made them feel like they were still an integral part of each others lives.
UT junior midfielder Mac Midgley and best friend Sammi Woods were a part of the group chat. They supplemented the vlogs with private conversations between each other every day. Once Woods graduated from Michigan and entered the transfer portal to use her extra year of eligibility granted because of the COVID pandemic, Midgley encouraged her to consider UT.
Woods began talking to UT coaches and researching her educational options. After she saw UT offered an advanced degree in sport psychology and motor behavior specialization, Woods was sold.
“School is the No. 1 priority, and UT had the degree I wanted,” Woods says. “But obviously catching up and staying in touch with Mac all those years through our group chats, I was able to see the ins and outs and how much she loved it here.
IMG_0902.png

Mac Midgley, a junior, was recently named SEC Offensive Player of the Week.

“Once I visited the campus, it was kind of like a no-brainer. I committed the day after.”
Having Woods join the Lady Vols has been a dream for Midgley. The two had always discussed the idea of becoming teammates at a higher level, but never knew if it would be possible.
“It’s not every day you get to play with your childhood best friend again in college,” Midgley says. “It’s been so awesome. I absolutely love having her here. I couldn’t have asked for a better way for it to have worked out.”

Chemistry on, off the pitch​

Midgley and Woods first met nearly a decade ago while playing for the Hawks. Midgley was younger but often played with the older group. Their relationship clicked from the very start.
“Obviously, we spent so much time together at soccer with all those hours and just got along super well off the field,” Woods says. “But then on the field, the soccer connection piece was insane. She would be midfield, I would play forward and I think our off-the-field relationship translated on the field super well.”
Woods has shifted to the midfield at UT (6-1-2, 1-0-1 SEC), but the dynamic between the two remains just as strong at the same position. Woods has scored a team-leading four goals, while Midgley has scored two. Both have recorded an assist.
Midgley wasn’t even sure if she would be healthy enough to start the season. She had surgery on her knee three weeks before the first game to “clean out a bunch of junk.” The knee was bugging her most of the summer, but the pain intensified while she was in South Africa with the VOLeaders program.
IMG_0903.png

Sammi Woods was a third-team All-Big 10 selection last season at the University of Michigan.

She was able to recover in time to join Woods in the starting lineup for the opener. Her summer travels to South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe enhanced her appreciation for being back on the field.
“Playing with kids over there and connecting over soccer was something really unique. It opened my eyes to the fact I get to play soccer every single day, and I think I took that for granted,” Midgley says. “The highlight of those kids’ weeks was playing soccer, and seeing the smiles on their faces and the joy soccer brought them made me realize what I took for granted here at Tennessee.”

New faces, new habits​

The relationship between Midgley and Woods is a microcosm of the Lady Vols as a whole. The team added 10 freshmen and several transfers to the roster this season. Having so many new faces required a greater focus on team bonding.
The Lady Vols read “The Five Dysfunctions of a Team” and held meetings throughout the summer. On off days, they gather at someone’s house to watch soccer or “The Bachelor” while baking cookies and eating dinner together.
“We want to accomplish a lot on the field this season, but we also want to accomplish a lot off the field,” Midgley says. “I think all of the things we are doing together have really helped set the tone on the field as well. It’s united us and we know we have each others backs.”
The group chat among the six former Michigan Hawks teammates is still thriving. Only now, instead of having to send separate videos from different states, Midgley and Woods can post joint vlogs about how things are going together at UT.
“I don’t think there has been a day that’s gone by in all this time where one of us hasn’t sent something,” Woods says. “It’s hard for us to all get on the phone with all of our different schedules, but this gives us a way to stay connected in our own time. It’s one of my biggest accomplishments. I hope we stay connected for life.”

IMG_0905.png
IMG_0904.jpeg

Kate Runyon is up next in our series!

She is off to a hot start in SEC play scoring a goal and assisting another against Ole Miss last week!

“The Lady Vol Boost Her Club means so much to me because of the way members graciously support Lady Vol student-athletes on and off the field. I am so thankful to be a part of a community that helps me achieve my goals and promote women’s sports.” - Runyon

Reactions: chuckiepoo
This is an interesting take on the difference between Club vs HS soccer.

Posted By College Truth

High School Soccer vs Club Soccer🚨

You can be seen and recruited from high school soccer but 99% of college soccer players are recruited from club soccer. Especially the recruits that attend elite schools.

Why do college coaches prefer club?

Let’s start with the obvious, you’re more likely to witness elite play against elite in club. (Iron sharpens Iron). So you’re more likely to receive a more accurate evaluation on a recruit in club soccer than high school.

Recruiting budget constraints: When you’re limited on time and money you can’t be everywhere. Attending club showcases and seeing hundreds of kids over one weekend vs several single HS games where the talent doesn’t usually sharpen iron with iron, it’s simply more convenient $ to recruit soccer. The evaluation, the quality of soccer and athlete is way better in club than high school and their resources $ is why it will always be club over high school.

Do college coaches attend HS games?

Yes, but don’t expect hundreds or even any there to be honest. It’s VERY rare they attend, and if they do it’s a local college in the area like a D2, D3, NAIA or Juco’s where their low budgets forces them to recruit from HS. Your D1’s , EXTREMELY RARE, if they attend HS games, they are there supporting a committed kid or getting everyone excited right before they email you that camp invite $😉.

You want college soccer? Your best bet is club soccer at an elite level. Especially if you want the colleges everyone has heard of. That’s the Truth.
———————————————————————

👇This was a an excellent response👇

It is very much a two tier system in the US, with HS taking a far backseat. On a world stage, I think it leaves US Soccer lacking on the men's side decade after decade.

In part, it is how State Athletics Associations and HS seasons operate. Very few allow for year round training of students who are clearly seeking out year round participation in Soccer.

It creates a market. Frankly, Club soccer is a business that is extracting cash while trying to display as much prestige for their program, so the club can be relevant. It benefits the player on their first team as the club has to advocate and market the player to more advanced levels, such as college.

However, the cash requirement, excludes an entire player base.

To make it worse, some states are now excluding club coaches from coaching the same players during HS seasons.

You would think US Soccer would want to step in and advocate for the sport to get a more unified pathway.

Why? Because the math of a 350 million population country struggling to win games against countries that have a population of 3-4 million says we are missing a vast sea of talent.

That being said, club is unfortunately the best avenue in the US for getting noticed. It does have good talent, decent volume, tougher games, and advocacy for the player.

We also have a rapidly growing academy system as professional teams grab market share of smaller travel clubs.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

THE VOLUNTEER STATE GAME

Giveaway: 250 Volunteer State shirts (get there early)

MATCH CENTRAL: #25 Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt​

IMG_0429.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The No. 25 Tennessee soccer team is primed for a 4 p.m. ET Sunday matchup versus Vanderbilt at Regal Stadium.

Admission is free for all preseason and regular-season soccer matches. Additionally, For fans planning to attend, we will have one shuttle (ADA accessible) picking up at Ag Campus and dropping off at the top of Cronan and Stephenson. Shuttles will begin at 2:30pm and run until one hour postgame. Please note that Tennessee's clear bag policy will be in effect.

GAME PROMOTIONS:
  • Theme: Volunteer State Game
  • Giveaway: 250 Volunteer State shirts
  • Live Anthem: Rhonda Johnson
  • Food Trucks: Uncle Mikes & Irveys
  • Parking: Once the lots along Stephenson Drive are full, fans will be pushed to the Ag Campus. Fans can take the shuttle from Ag Campus to Regal Stadium or can also walk to the stadium via the greenway on Neyland Drive.
  • Fans are encouraged to arrive from the west side of Neyland Drive to help ease the traffic flow.
Last time out, the Lady Vols fought hard against the Crimson Tide, registering a 2-2 draw. With the tie, Tennessee (6-1-2) extends its unbeaten streak to eight matches.

Throughout nine matches this season, the Big Orange have allowed only four goals and currently boast the ninth-best goals-against average in the country with a .444 mark.

Kennedy Price and Sammi Woods both found the back of the net for the Lady Vols against Alabama.
Price's goal, which was the first of her collegiate career, came in the 42nd minute after she perfectly placed the ball in the back right corner of the goal.

Woods' registered her team-leading fourth goal of the season in the 52nd minute after Price passed it to Reese Mattern who perfectly lofted the ball into the box.

Vandy (5-2-3) is coming off a 0-2 loss versus No. 1/2 Arkansas at home. The Commodores currently sit 0-2-1 to start conference play as UT currently hots a 1-0-1 SEC record.

SCOUTING THE COMMODORES: Vanderbilt concluded non-conference play unbeaten, but opened a tough conference play slate with a 2-2 tie versus Auburn and suffered consecutive losses versus Georgia (RV) and No. 1/2 Arkansas. The SEC and in-state foe has logged six clean sheets on the season as well and 24 goals offensively. Rachel Dereskly leads Vandy in goals this season with five as Sydney Watts and Caroline Betts have four apiece. Maci Teater leads the Dores with five assists, while Betts and Deresky have dished out three each. Vandy's goalie duo of Sara Wojdelko and Kate Devine have combined for a 0.60 goals-against average.

MATCHUP HISTORY: Tennessee is 12-17-4 all-time against Vanderbilt and has won its past two matchups. Last season, the Lady Vols won with a 1-0 shutout victory.

TALK TO 'EM KP: Junior defender Kennedy Price registered her first collegiate goal during a 2-2 tie against Alabama. The Franklin, Tenn., native also dished out an assist during the match against the Tide, registering her first multi-point showing.

SAMMI STRIKES AGAIN: Woods has registered goals in both of Tennessee's SEC matchups, which brings her season total to four. Additionally, Woods leads the team in points (9), shots (20) and shots on goal (10).

VN Store

Back