⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

Tennessee Extends Unbeaten Streak With 0-0 Tie Versus #7 UCLA​

IMG_0488.jpeg
KNOXVILLE, TN - September 05, 2024 - Forward Kate Runyon #7 of the Tennessee Lady Volunteers during the game between the UCLA Bruins and the Tennessee Volunteers at Regal Soccer Stadium in Knoxville, TN. Photo By Drew Garrison/Tennessee Athletics

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Tennessee soccer extended their unbeaten and clean sheets streak to four matches following a hard-fought 0-0 draw against No. 7 UCLA.

Despite its last match being canceled due to weather , the Tennessee defense did not miss a beat and continued its streak of clean sheets, now posting four in a row, which was last done during the 2022 season.

Thursday's result also marked the first time since Sept. 17, 2021, that the Lady Vols shut out a top-10 opponent.

UCLA led the game with total shots, but the Lady Vols made more with shots as they had six shots on goal to UCLA's five.

Ally Zazzara showed up huge tonight making several key saves to keep the deadlock and streak going. Zazzara's five saves tonight puts her at 76 total career saves in her third year with the Lady Vols.

Mac Midgley held a dominant presence in the midfield by setting her career high for shots on goal per game with three. She also led the team in shots and shots on goal.

In addition to Midgley's shots on frame, Reese Mattern and Muriel Kroflin both created a chance during Thursday's match.

Tennessee's shutout was impressive as UCLA posted 16 total shots and was held scoreless for just the second time this season.

UP NEXT: UT faces off against Florida Atlantic back at home on Sunday, Sept. 8th at 2 p.m. ET.

Ally Zazzara continues to gain momentum in shutout draw against UCLA​

IMG_0495.jpeg

Unlike last season, Ally Zazzara entered the year as the clear first choice goalkeeper.

While that role is an achievement, it also presents a challenge to lead Tennessee soccer from the back. That’s not a responsibility Zazzara takes lightly.

“I think it just shows confidence in the team to know that I’ll be consistent back here,” Zazzara said. “I show that I work my hardest every day. They know what they’re going to expect.”

On Thursday, Zazzara and the Lady Vols earned their fourth straight shutout, playing UCLA to a 0-0 draw. The redshirt junior saved all five shots on target she faced from UCLA’s attack.

Zazzara’s performance showed why Tennessee head coach Joe Kirt trusts her in big moments. Every time a shot came her way, Zazzara dealt with it cleanly.

“She had to make some plays, and she did just that,” Kirt said. “Whether that’s on set pieces, she had to make some saves from distance. She managed the game really well.”

Zazzara spent most of last season splitting time with Abby Reisz, not fully taking the reins until late in the season. When she did, she dominated in goal, showing her best in a 15-save performance during last year’s NCAA Tournament.

In Tennessee’s first game of the year, Zazzara let in one goal, which was the game-winner against Indiana. Since then, the Woodstock, Georgia, native has saved 12 shots in her last four matches, earning shutouts in all four.

Now in her fourth season with Tennessee, Zazzara has plenty of experience with the program and how it operates. She has also earned plenty of match experience over that time, which helps her excel in difficult sports.

“Her experience paid off tonight,” Kirt said. “Put her off in place to make good saves, make good decisions with the ball overall and help keep us organized for 90 minutes.”

Connecting with defense

Tennessee spent plenty of practice time working on connecting Zazzara with its four defenders. That way, the group can form a cohesive unit when it faces quality opposition, such as UCLA.

That especially paid off for the Lady Vols in defending six corner kicks. Whether it was Zazzara punching the ball away or a defender saving a goal with a clearance, Tennessee dealt with everything in its way.

When communication is necessary, the Lady Vols can do that as well. It all comes down to work outside of match days.

“We really tried to integrate our goalkeepers with the box more and more in training,” Kirt said. “You can see it paying off, and they’re comfortable with what they are in terms of being comfortable in their information, their roles with one another.”

Zazzara isn’t easy on her defenders. She relies on them to make sure the opportunities she faces are possible to control. The Lady Vols did that on Thursday, putting pressure on UCLA and forcing shots away from goal.

When it comes time for her to reciprocate that standard, Zazzara always delivers.

“Ally is very vocal in the back and I think she demands a lot of us, but I think it’s what keeps us connected in the back line,” defender Sarah Bridenstine said. “She expects a lot of us, but we do too for her and I think we have a great back six.”

When Zazzara faces a shot, it has always been made harder by Tennessee’s defensive system. While not always perfect, the Lady Vols filter out any difficult chances for their goalkeeper to deal with.

After the defense works hard, Zazzara has to keep the ball out of the net. With the trust of her team in front of her, she delivered on Thursday.

“I think we have a very strong defensive five or six players, and I think they are very connected when they play,” Zazzara said. “It says a lot about them. There’s a lot less shots on goal, so that plays a big part in my role. I have to clean up the ones that happen to get by.”

Lady Vols defense shines in draw with ranked UCLA​

• Tyler Edmands, Contributor
  • Sep 6, 2024
IMG_0496.jpeg

In Tennessee soccer’s tie with the No. 9 ranked UCLA Bruins, one thing was for certain: the Lady Vols defense shined bright under the Regal Stadium lights.

Coming into the game as heavy favorites, the No. 9 ranked UCLA Bruins looked to have a bounce-back game. Last Sunday they lost their first match of the season, taking a 1-0 loss to Pepperdine and snapping their five-game win streak.

Looking for vengeance, the Bruins (5-1-1) set off for the south, facing the unranked Lady Vols (3-1-1) in Knoxville before traveling north to Lexington to face the unbeaten Wildcats of Kentucky.

Despite being heavy home underdogs, the unranked Lady Vols fought hard in a match that ended in a 0-0 tie.

The Tennessee defense, led by goalkeeper Ally Zazzara, has made a name for itself this season, holding UCLA to their second consecutive shutout. This extends Zazzara’s streak to four games with a clean sheet, having not let up a goal since their season opener at Indiana.

“I think we have a strong defensive five or six players,” Zazzara said. “I think they’re very connected when they play. There have been a lot fewer shots on goal recently, I clean up the ones that happen to get by.”

Zazzara’s role for the Lady Vols has been undeniable, but the Lady Vols defense has stepped up as a whole. Although the Bruins ripped off 16 shots, only five were quality looks on the goal.

Defender Sarah Bridenstine took a moment to recognize her goalie and the rest of the Tennessee defensive unit.

“Ally is very vocal in the back and demands a lot of us, but that keeps us connected in the backfield,” Bridenstine said. “She expects a lot of us, and we do too of her. We have a great back six and we’re all family back there.”

Bridenstine also reflected on what the Lady Vols did well, noting improvement in their ability to get the first look on the ball.

“I think the defense was first to many balls,” said Bridenstine. “I think that was something we maybe struggled with in the past, but we got to keep doing that.”

Lady Vols head coach Joe Kirt was also pleased with how his defense played against a tough opponent.

“We had to defend the midblock tonight, and we were organized the first 15 minutes,” Kirt said. “We had to tweak some things with our shape but after that, I thought they defended well.”

After the hard-fought draw with UCLA, the Lady Vols continue their home stretch, hosting their next three opponents in Knoxville. The stretch will continue Sunday afternoon, as Tennessee hosts the Florida Atlantic Owls for their next game.

“It’s about holding our standards,” Kirt said. “That’s a challenge on Sunday at home to come out and step on the field just like we did tonight. They’ve been great this season and I expect that to stay the same on Sunday.”

With the Lady Vols building momentum heading into the season, confidence will be a key as they move into the bulk of their schedule.

MATCH CENTRAL: Tennessee vs. Florida Atlantic​

https://utsports.com/news/2024/9/7/soccer-match-central-tennessee-vs-florida-atlantic.aspx

IMG_0523.jpeg

Tennessee soccer is set to play its second game of its four-match home stand versus Florida Atlantic at 2 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Last time out, the Lady Vols registered a 0-0 draw against No. 7 UCLA to extend their unbeaten streak to four matches.

Mac Midgley and Ally Zazzara highlighted the match. Zazzara came up big for defense with five saves against a top-ten team, and Midgley posted her career high in shots on goal in a game with three.

The Big Orange looks to continue their clean sheet streak to five matches.

SCOUTING THE OWLS: FAU enters their second season in the American Athletic Conference. They were ranked No. 5 in the AAC preseason poll. The Owls brought in 10 newcomers to the roster over the offseason. The roster is highlighted by Goalkeeper Lexi Gonzalez, Defender Jodi Smith and Midfielder Sofia Voldby. Florida Atlantic enters Sunday's match with a 3-2-0 record, following two games that have resulted in cancelations.

MATCHUP HISTORY: Tennessee previously played FAU last season, posting a 2-0 win on the road on Sept. 10, 2023.

CHASIN' RECORDS: Thomas, who is in her final season on Rocky Top, currently ranks second on Tennessee's all-time goals list with 39 and sits just four back of Kylee Rossi's program-best 43. The three time All-SEC player and 2021 All-American appeared in just two matches last season before suffering a season-ending injury. During the 2022 season, Thomas scored 13 goals and posted the best goals-per-game average in the SEC at .68.

KEEPIN' IT CLEAN: Following their tie against #7 UCLA , the Lady Vols have now posted four consecutive clean sheets, impressively after facing 16 shots against UCLA.

UP NEXT: The Lady Vols will continue their four-game homestand with a 7 p.m. ET Thursday match against instate rival, Memphis.

VN Store

Back