⚽️ Tennessee Lady Vols Soccer

Thank you for the kind words! Soccer was my life growing up. All I wanted was to play pro soccer. I gave up so much growing up to try to achieve my goals and I feel like i did. I had opportunities to come back and try to play in USL and even MLS but I was just done. I wanted to move on with my life. I regret nothing! Ive had some amazing experiences because of soccer. Played with and against some great players. Etcheverry, Moreno, Pope, Agoos, Lalas (who is as much as a prick on the field as off), Preki, Dempsey, Armas, BIG Zach Thornton, Marsch, Christopher Wreh (told me he was related to George Weah). I got a red card in a game for a foul on Dema Kovalenko. I will take it to the grave, that it wasnt a foul. He dove so bad.

What is your connection to UT? Did you watch any Vol games last year?

Reactions: MAD and scores4fun
Can one of you that understands these graphs explain how the Lady Vols rate?

This week, NCAA D1 women’s soccer takes the mantle. Using each of the profiled teams’ complete data from the 2023 season, this data analysis will look at the key performance metrics and build out a data-driven look at each team’s attacking and defensive tactics.

To add context to the graphs in this article, giving an explanation of the data set is important. For those who are unfamiliar with NCAA D1 women’s soccer, there are 347 teams. That’s 136 more teams on the women’s side than the men’s, meaning far more data to piece through for a comprehensive data set. Rather than listing every team, the approach for this article was to include each program in the RPI top 100, as well as Power Five schools outside of that range. For any program that falls outside of that range, feel free to contact Scott for an idea of where your program would fall relative to the current data set.

This data analysis is designed to show the performance indicators of NCAA D1 women’s soccer top teams. It’s packed with insights on the top-performing teams. We’ll see how they construct play in attack and identify tendencies in the press.
If soccer analyst wrote it, it probably doesn't make any sense. 😀

Reactions: MAD
Can you imagine?
Missouri State roster last year.
View attachment 613231
Unfortunately, thats all of college soccer now. At every level! I get it. These coaches get paid to win! They are going to use whatever contact they have to try to get the best player they can. It would be nice if the USSF would step up and interject to the NCAA that something needs to change as far as the number of internationals that are coming in. It definitely doesnt help the majority of americans succeed or get better. Small amount that are playing all the time with internationals it is helping but not the majority. I think it holds are talent back some. Just my opinion.

It seems protectionist, but I think the college game and development of our talent would benefit from a cap on the number of international players allowed. I wonder though if we would classify someone like Kam as international ultimately since she elected to play for Jamaica internationally. It gets a bit tricky. I also think we should be proactive in considering whether players can go pro and then return to college and play at that level. I wouldn’t support that. But again, what constitutes pro? Is it the USL level where Nayeli Diaz played? Or just the top tier leagues? Making these restrictions would likely hurt the parity we are seeing at the international level so, as I commonly say, there are always winners and losers with any policy, but I think I favor both restrictions on pros playing and on the number of foreign players. Plus we could argue that we as a country really need to innovate on how we develop domestic talent which may not happen if we can rely on foreign players.

As long as club soccer continues to be a money grab- our players won't develop. Some clubs (top hat!!!) do the right thing. Remember the director of a large club makes big $$ - it's all about the coach's gain and not the player. Coaches first is the creed of the day. Make no mistake about it. Also, in America, soccer is a 'rich' kids sport. Throughout the world, soccer is a pathway from abject poverty- these athletes are driven with the fuel of desperation. Our players are driven by social interaction and cool trips across country. . Club soccer will cost a family 25k or more a year per player if the parents travel too. Hell, cleats are 300$ dollars and private trainers earn 200$/hour.

Youth national teams are plagued with a weird counter productive form of nepatism that is basically a good ole boy/girl club of coaches promoting each other and giving their friends kids opportunities no one else has access too. Look at Missimo - give me a break. Sure she's good- but her Dad set that up for her through connections. Think about all the missed talent when scenarios like this occur over and over. Ultimately, these poor platforms crumble. Last World Cup- hmmm.🤔

And again. At the next level, it's all about the coaches and protecting their job. Not the player. Put the players first and a program will win. I promise.

Last- players who are on other national teams due to dual citizenship via their parents country of origin can't make the American teams for x2 reasons 1) the example I gave earlier and 2) they aren't good enough.

If you ever want to understand why our talent is dragging- go to the origin of development- bad/selfish coaches running youth programs. It's pandemic.

Soapbox- college coaches have gotten so bad and lazy and self centered that now, they only want 'developed' players. Are you kidding me!!!!! This is collegiate athletics!!! This is the place where coaches provide the finishing touches of development before going professional! Now, the coach wants to relinquish that duty. Arguably, the most important mentors in one's life are parents, teachers, religious leaders and coaches. And now, the coaches have decided to remove themselves from this prestigious group in pursuit of doing less work for more money. Put these coaches in a Coaches Portal! Let them feel the mental drag and distraction of coming to work everyday worried about the security of their job ! Let's see how focused they are when they believe their Athletic Directors don't believe in them as evidenced by the continual recruiting of transfer coaches. Someone needs to stop this madness.

As long as club soccer continues to be a money grab- our players won't develop. Some clubs (top hat!!!) do the right thing. Remember the director of a large club makes big $$ - it's all about the coach's gain and not the player. Coaches first is the creed of the day. Make no mistake about it. Also, in America, soccer is a 'rich' kids sport. Throughout the world, soccer is a pathway from abject poverty- these athletes are driven with the fuel of desperation. Our players are driven by social interaction and cool trips across country. . Club soccer will cost a family 25k or more a year per player if the parents travel too. Hell, cleats are 300$ dollars and private trainers earn 200$/hour.

Youth national teams are plagued with a weird counter productive form of nepatism that is basically a good ole boy/girl club of coaches promoting each other and giving their friends kids opportunities no one else has access too. Look at Missimo - give me a break. Sure she's good- but her Dad set that up for her through connections. Think about all the missed talent when scenarios like this occur over and over. Ultimately, these poor platforms crumble. Last World Cup- hmmm.🤔

And again. At the next level, it's all about the coaches and protecting their job. Not the player. Put the players first and a program will win. I promise.

Last- players who are on other national teams due to dual citizenship via their parents country of origin can't make the American teams for x2 reasons 1) the example I gave earlier and 2) they aren't good enough.

If you ever want to understand why our talent is dragging- go to the origin of development- bad/selfish coaches running youth programs. It's pandemic.

I disagree a bit. There are a lot of good ECNL clubs in America that develop good soccer players, who go to good colleges and develop further. Most of the players in the NWSL and the U.S. Women's National Team are ex college players. The clubs are pricey, but they do give discounts to some players and they do develop players--they wouldn't be getting schollies to big programs if they weren't. We have seen a shift recently with a few super talented late teens opt to sign pro contracts rather than go to college. It's a small number, but the numbers could grow as salaries rise across professional women's soccer. Signing a pro contract at a young age doesn't automatically mean you'll become a good pro player, of course--but it does get one into the pro training/competitive environment at a younger age, which helps.

I like women's soccer in America precisely because the college game is prominent. The players are more educated; the whole environment is more civilized. You watch pro men's soccer around the world and it is chock full of tattooed former street urchins who became exceptional players. They are all super-talented and fun to watch, to be sure--but they're not educated and the whole men's pro men's environment--especially in Europe and South America--is off-putting to me---players and fans. I hate the way the men all gang up on the referee when he makes a call the team doesn't agree with. They mob the ref. I think there has been some talk of cracking down on this behavior, but it's gone on a long time.

And the fans: Good grief, many of them are a horror show. Hooliganism has been a huge problem for a long time. It's not as bad as it was--but it's still bad. In England and elsewhere, the men all get $hit-faced before the game and maraud around the stadium, often looking for trouble--getting into fights with fans from the opposing teams. They've attacked opposing team buses--breaking bus windows and injuring players and coaches. The "ultras" as the are called in France and maybe other countries, sit in the stands and chant all game long; there's been a major problem with racist chants among fans at many clubs. That's been a big problem. There's a very low-class element to it all--very uncivilized. Clubs and federations have struggled for years trying to control drunken, violent fan behavior. And there is this weird tradition of setting off flares in the stands--which we see in U.S. men's pro leage as well. It just seems stupid. No educated fan is going to say: "Hey, I think I'll light a flare and hold it for a while so that our area fills up with acrid, toxic smoke. You get very lilttle of this nonsense with women's soccer in America. In France a few other places, the Ultras will attend women's games and chant from beginning to end--but that's about it. You can see them if you watch a PSG game, for sure.

I do agree that U.S. youth national teams have been quite cliquish--meaning that a lot of the players that get picked for, say, the U15/16 NT roster, will also get picked for the U17 or U20 rosters in another year or two. You see the same players getting picked year after year. I think the USSF has been criticized for this and is working harder on scouting/Id'ing good players around the country. The U.S. still have the biggest and most talented women's player pool in the world.

Last edited:
I agree that the collegiate element makes soccer more engaging. It's probably why I'm passionate about reversing an 'unrestricted' portal and lazy coaches spending more time looking for an easy fix to their programs. It was fun to watch a coach build something great from a philosophy or a well studied/polished blueprint yielding a winning culture. I think it's a thing of the past, for now.

It's good to see all the usual suspects posting in this thread. The regulars know that I love the game but am very frustrated by the international players who are living the dream, but are always (it seems) playing for their national team when we need a win.

Limit the number of international players and have an age cut off to play as a freshman. Allowing international players to play for their national team should restrict their numbers for any coach that understands they may not be available when the school that pays his/her salary needs a win.

Last edited:
It's good to see all the usual suspects posting in this thread. The regulars know that I love the game but am very frustrated by the international players who are living the dream, but are always (it seems) playing for their national team when we need a win.

Limit the number of international players and have an age cut off to play as a freshman. Allowing international players to play for their national team should restrict their numbers for any coach that understands they may not be available when the school that pays his/her salary needs a win.
It seems it would be a self limiting value…

I heard a coach recently make a statement that the player can alway transfer.... Serioisly, this is a comment or thought that I believe is common and disregards the emotional stress of 'just moving'. Have any of us ever moved our households? It's maybe one of the most stressful events in one's life! Hell, I knew a couple that divorced after a move! So, now, programs think it is just an easy little maneuver for a young girl who has just left their home of 18 years, to show up to a campus, get settled, try to learn adult behaviors, subject themselves to a coach that wasn't transparent and now, the player must find another school, pack up their new home, leave new friends, travel to new locations, unpack, make new friends, find the grocery store and start over. Is this what the NCAA wanted? Is this how they nurture tomorrows leaders? Is this the ideal plan to educate the new college athlete (college is the key word). What are we doing here? This isn't professional sports. Heck, this isn't even a money making sport. It's fun to watch young, college athletes earning an education while competing for their future Alma Mater. That's American Collegiate Sports at its finest. What is happening now is weird, unrecognizable and not fun. I have to re-learn an entire roster every year. Who are these strangers. I can't even get excited about new Freshman because the system has disregarded or devalued them before they ever got to campus.

Do you think it's right that Tennessee celebrates transfer graduate students on 'Senior Night'? What the hell are these people thinking?

History of Lady Vols Soccer part 4.

June 10 1996
Construction began on the soccer complex

TENNESSEE SOCCER COMPLEX

View attachment 613046

Taken from the 1996 Lady Vols Soccer Media Guide.

The University of Tennessee is highly supportive of the addition of women's soccer to its athletics docket, as evidenced by the newly constructed Tennessee Soccer Complex. Located less than a mile from the main campus on University property, the facility includes two fields for the exclusive use of the women's soccer program.

The entire complex, a $625,000 project, features two 80 x 120 fields with less than a one percent crown on each. Both are lighted, sod with bermuda grass, and boast total field irrigation. The raised press box includes phone lines, a public address system, and the controls to an electronic scoreboard.

Spectator seating is on aluminum bleachers positioned on concrete, with capacity at 1,000. Fans will enjoy the convenience of permanent restroom facilities, a souvenir stand and concessions located adjacent to the bleachers. Parking boarders three sides of the facility.

Future plans include locker rooms for the Lady Vols and their opponents, as well as an equipment storage room. Large tented areas will serve as team meeting areas.

Opening day for the complex was Aug. 30, with a match against Tennessee-Chattanooga at 6 p.m. The Lady Vols will host a total of seven games in their inaugural season. All seats will be general admission, with tickets slated at $2 each. UT students are admitted free with a valid student I.D.
History of Lady Vols Soccer part 5.

Today we are going to highlight Tennessee’s first regular season game from the inaugural season.

August 13 1996
First practice by Lady Vol soccer team.

August 17 1996
First scrimmage by Lady Vol soccer team.

August 30 1996
First regular season game, against UT-Chattanooga.

Taken from the Daily Beacon

Women's soccer roll in opener​

Fan support is the most critical aspect of any organized sport, whether it

be professional, college, high school or little league.

Athletes yearn to be watched, idolized and respected for what they

accomplish between the lines, so it is easy to understand how an athlete

must feel playing in front of no one but themselves.

Personally speaking, I remember playing little league baseball with the

sole spectators being coaches. There was no one to play for. No one to

cheer that RBI double or game-saving grab. Unfortunately, you get used to

it, but what a bitter pill it is to swallow.

The inaugural Tennessee Lady Vols soccer team doesn't look like it will

have such problems. A crowd of 2,631 witnessed UT's first-ever game (a 7-0

rout of UT-Chattanooga on Friday) at the Tennessee Soccer Complex.

While that may sound small to some people, it was much more than anyone

expected. And much more than the largest crowd drawn by the first-year Lady

Vol softball team this past spring - 225.

"It was incredible," head coach Charles MacCabe said. "It's a thrill for me

and for the players to be able to play in front of a crowd like this. I

hope with what they saw tonight, they will come back.

"I can't say I'm totally shocked because there is a very large soccer

community in Knoxville and they're obviously turning out to support us; I

couldn't be happier," MacCabe said.

Forward Melissa Covington not only noticed the mass of support, but called

it the best backing she's ever received.

"I love the support," the freshman from Nashville beamed. "In all my life,

I've never been supported that way. I've gone to regionals with my club

team in Nashville, and we've had support there, but I've never experienced

support like this.

"Tennessee Volunteers are the best supporters, that's all I can say ....

They come out and yell when you make the best play and when you mess up

they're like, 'Come on, keep going,' and it's just great."

And it should continue after what onlookers saw Friday.

Following an autograph session by 1996 Olympic women's soccer team gold

medalists Mia Hamm and Tisha Venturini, the Lady Vols showed soccer was a

sport that belonged at UT.

Right from the opening tap, Tennessee was a step ahead of UTC, another

first-year squad. After a plethora of missed opportunities and shots over

the cross bar, freshman Whitney Rayburn scored UT's first goal after six

minutes.

The assault persisted and before you knew it, the Lady Vols were up 5-0

headed into intermission thanks to two more Rayburn tallies and one each by

juniors Bethany Himel and Holly Kimble.

"The opponent didn't give us a real stiff test," MacCabe said, "but I was

very pleased we came out with great intensity and never gave them a chance

to get into the game.

"Obviously, we had lots of shots, and we could've scored some more, but I

was pleased we got off to such a good start, and then we just cruised after

that."

Cruised wasn't the word. Tennessee simply shut down UTC, outshooting them

62-1 for the game. Could it have been any more scintillating?

"I wouldn't say that it could've gone any better," said Covington, whose

first goal capped the scoring in the 62nd minute. "But there were some

times when we got too relaxed ... but overall I think we did great."

"We're excited," Covington continued, echoing her teammates sentiments.

"We've been working really hard the past three weeks training, and we've

been trying to excel as a team, not just individually."

With just three weeks of practice under their belts, it's a tribute to the

coaching staff these players are already putting the team first and

themselves second. That can't be an easy thing to do when you hardly even

know your teammates.

So with this team-oriented philosophy in check, what else is there this

bunch needs to do to get better?

"Just about everything," MacCabe said. "There's all kinds of things we need

to work on, but this is a very good start. Our players all come from strong

club programs, and they've been very responsive to the instruction that

we've given them and they're doing well. I think this is a very good

beginning, and I'm optimistic about the season."

Covington is confident also, perhaps a little too much keeping in mind her

team's tough Southeastern Conference slate.

"We're trying to be in the top 10," she said. "We probably won't get it,

but we're going to try."

IMG_5839.jpegIMG_5840.jpegIMG_5835.jpegIMG_5836.jpegIMG_5837.jpeg

Whitney Rayburn scored the Lady Vols first ever goal.

Bio from first ever Lady Vols soccer media guide.
IMG_5841.jpeg

I heard a coach recently make a statement that the player can alway transfer.... Serioisly, this is a comment or thought that I believe is common and disregards the emotional stress of 'just moving'. Have any of us ever moved our households? It's maybe one of the most stressful events in one's life! Hell, I knew a couple that divorced after a move! So, now, programs think it is just an easy little maneuver for a young girl who has just left their home of 18 years, to show up to a campus, get settled, try to learn adult behaviors, subject themselves to a coach that wasn't transparent and now, the player must find another school, pack up their new home, leave new friends, travel to new locations, unpack, make new friends, find the grocery store and start over. Is this what the NCAA wanted? Is this how they nurture tomorrows leaders? Is this the ideal plan to educate the new college athlete (college is the key word). What are we doing here? This isn't professional sports. Heck, this isn't even a money making sport. It's fun to watch young, college athletes earning an education while competing for their future Alma Mater. That's American Collegiate Sports at its finest. What is happening now is weird, unrecognizable and not fun. I have to re-learn an entire roster every year. Who are these strangers. I can't even get excited about new Freshman because the system has disregarded or devalued them before they ever got to campus.

Do you think it's right that Tennessee celebrates transfer graduate students on 'Senior Night'? What the hell are these people thinking?

Your complaints are valid, man---but every player who signs should be clear-eyed about college athletics at this level. You have to be talented, tough and have a great work ethic to get on the field and succeed at this level. There is no guarantee of playing time: Every coach should make that clear to every prospect s/he recruits. Nobody is guaranteed to play. You come in as a freshman and you immediately have to compete with players at your position(s) who are older and more experienced. And then the following year a new group of freshmen prospects will arrive, and some of them will compete with your for a starting/playing spot. And the same thing will happen the next year. It's tough, and life ain't always fair. Unless you are a very talented player on a weak team/weak program, you're going to be fighting for playing time every year.

When I was a junior in high school, I played three sports. When I got through with football, I went and practiced with the basketball team. This was a private school. The basketball coach had coached previously at a public high school--one that was a serious rival with the public high school where my father had once coached. I knew and had played with many of the other players on the basketball squad--and was easily better than many of them. One of them was my best friend. Good person but not a good basketball player or athlete. Long story short, my best friend made the team and the BB coach cut me. I was in disbelief--it was an absurd, inexplicable move. I half-laughed it was so lame. My father--who was an ex-college football player--was not amused. He set up a meeting with the coach, took me with him, and in my presence he rather strongly and loudly chewed the guy out for his patently biased decision. I was amazed. The coach put me back on the team--and that year I led the team in steals and assists, and the following year I led the team in scoring and steals. At some point either in my junior or senior year, I made a point of mentioning my good play to the coach--a polite dig at the coach who'd stupidly cut me. His response was this: "Oh, you've improved tremendously!" I scoffed. I hadn't improved--he had just made a stupid decision. I have a lot of respect for coaches--my Dad was one in high school--and they are typically good people and often positively influence young lives, but they are far from infallible. Quite the opposite, really: They make dumb decisions quite frequently.

I came to Tennessee on a scholarship and was a junior starter in another sport. The next year a transfer was brought in who competed with me for my position. We had scrimmages in which stats were kept, and then started the season with some out of conference games--I starting in most, but the transfer guy getting a couple of starts. Early on, I went to the coach and explained to him that I had better hitting stats, was a better defensive player--and urged him, in so many words, not to make a foolish decision. I simply made my case. And he was convinced: I was the starter for the rest of the season. Moral of the story: If you, a player, feel you are not getting fair treatment by a feckless coach, don't be afraid to go in and speak your mind--firmly. And feel free to bring your Dad with you, if it might help! But only do so if you--in your mind--have a strong and valid case to make. A fair number of players sign with big programs and simply aren't good enough. You have to know what your talent level is.

That said, it's different nowadays. Kids compete, play or don't play, have a year-end talk with the coaches--and if things aren't going well they transfer. They don't wait to see if next year will be better--and in some/many cases it's understandable. It is hard to transfer--to move, to change schools, to end friendships and have to make new ones--but it goes without saying that a lot of players are doing it nowadays. And if leads to getting on the field and playing, well, one hopes that the change is worth it. I do want to see our young talent on the soccer field this season.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
History of Lady Vols Soccer part 5.

Today we are going to highlight Tennessee’s first regular season game from the inaugural season.

August 13 1996
First practice by Lady Vol soccer team.

August 17 1996
First scrimmage by Lady Vol soccer team.

August 30 1996
First regular season game, against UT-Chattanooga.

Taken from the Daily Beacon

Women's soccer roll in opener​

Fan support is the most critical aspect of any organized sport, whether it

be professional, college, high school or little league.

Athletes yearn to be watched, idolized and respected for what they

accomplish between the lines, so it is easy to understand how an athlete

must feel playing in front of no one but themselves.

Personally speaking, I remember playing little league baseball with the

sole spectators being coaches. There was no one to play for. No one to

cheer that RBI double or game-saving grab. Unfortunately, you get used to

it, but what a bitter pill it is to swallow.

The inaugural Tennessee Lady Vols soccer team doesn't look like it will

have such problems. A crowd of 2,631 witnessed UT's first-ever game (a 7-0

rout of UT-Chattanooga on Friday) at the Tennessee Soccer Complex.

While that may sound small to some people, it was much more than anyone

expected. And much more than the largest crowd drawn by the first-year Lady

Vol softball team this past spring - 225.

"It was incredible," head coach Charles MacCabe said. "It's a thrill for me

and for the players to be able to play in front of a crowd like this. I

hope with what they saw tonight, they will come back.

"I can't say I'm totally shocked because there is a very large soccer

community in Knoxville and they're obviously turning out to support us; I

couldn't be happier," MacCabe said.

Forward Melissa Covington not only noticed the mass of support, but called

it the best backing she's ever received.

"I love the support," the freshman from Nashville beamed. "In all my life,

I've never been supported that way. I've gone to regionals with my club

team in Nashville, and we've had support there, but I've never experienced

support like this.

"Tennessee Volunteers are the best supporters, that's all I can say ....

They come out and yell when you make the best play and when you mess up

they're like, 'Come on, keep going,' and it's just great."

And it should continue after what onlookers saw Friday.

Following an autograph session by 1996 Olympic women's soccer team gold

medalists Mia Hamm and Tisha Venturini, the Lady Vols showed soccer was a

sport that belonged at UT.

Right from the opening tap, Tennessee was a step ahead of UTC, another

first-year squad. After a plethora of missed opportunities and shots over

the cross bar, freshman Whitney Rayburn scored UT's first goal after six

minutes.

The assault persisted and before you knew it, the Lady Vols were up 5-0

headed into intermission thanks to two more Rayburn tallies and one each by

juniors Bethany Himel and Holly Kimble.

"The opponent didn't give us a real stiff test," MacCabe said, "but I was

very pleased we came out with great intensity and never gave them a chance

to get into the game.

"Obviously, we had lots of shots, and we could've scored some more, but I

was pleased we got off to such a good start, and then we just cruised after

that."

Cruised wasn't the word. Tennessee simply shut down UTC, outshooting them

62-1 for the game. Could it have been any more scintillating?

"I wouldn't say that it could've gone any better," said Covington, whose

first goal capped the scoring in the 62nd minute. "But there were some

times when we got too relaxed ... but overall I think we did great."

"We're excited," Covington continued, echoing her teammates sentiments.

"We've been working really hard the past three weeks training, and we've

been trying to excel as a team, not just individually."

With just three weeks of practice under their belts, it's a tribute to the

coaching staff these players are already putting the team first and

themselves second. That can't be an easy thing to do when you hardly even

know your teammates.

So with this team-oriented philosophy in check, what else is there this

bunch needs to do to get better?

"Just about everything," MacCabe said. "There's all kinds of things we need

to work on, but this is a very good start. Our players all come from strong

club programs, and they've been very responsive to the instruction that

we've given them and they're doing well. I think this is a very good

beginning, and I'm optimistic about the season."

Covington is confident also, perhaps a little too much keeping in mind her

team's tough Southeastern Conference slate.

"We're trying to be in the top 10," she said. "We probably won't get it,

but we're going to try."

View attachment 613466View attachment 613467View attachment 613468View attachment 613470View attachment 613471

Whitney Rayburn scored the Lady Vols first ever goal.

Bio from first ever Lady Vols soccer media guide.
View attachment 613485

Those warmup kits are crazy--are they black and white? Interesting color schme at a school whose colors are orange and white.

Really? Who runs our social media? Is this the right message- was gonna leave for the pros, didn't work out, so I guess I'll come back- Is this normal? Is this team building? Looks like an individual that is supposed to be on a team. Maybe, just don't advertise anything and let's enjoy her performance like we always have. Love this player, but this is a tacky media move for an individual, not the team. Man, I sound angry. But, got to call like it presents.

Your complaints are valid, man---but every player who signs should be clear-eyed about college athletics at this level. You have to be talented, tough and have a great work ethic to get on the field and succeed at this level. There is no guarantee of playing time: Every coach should make that clear to every prospect s/he recruits. Nobody is guaranteed to play. You come in as a freshman and you immediately have to compete with players at your position(s) who are older and more experienced. And then the following year a new group of freshmen prospects will arrive, and some of them will compete with your for a starting/playing spot. And the same thing will happen the next year. It's tough, and life ain't always fair. Unless you are a very talented player on a weak team/weak program, you're going to be fighting for playing time every year.

When I was a junior in high school, I played three sports. When I got through with football, I went and practiced with the basketball team. This was a private school. The basketball coach had coached previously at a public high school--one that was a serious rival with the public high school where my father had once coached. I knew and had played with many of the other players on the basketball squad--and was easily better than many of them. One of them was my best friend. Good person but not a good basketball player or athlete. Long story short, my best friend made the team and the BB coach cut me. I was in disbelief--it was an absurd, inexplicable move. I half-laughed it was so lame. My father--who was an ex-college football player--was not amused. He set up a meeting with the coach, took me with him, and in my presence he rather strongly and loudly chewed the guy out for his patently biased decision. I was amazed. The coach put me back on the team--and that year I led the team in steals and assists, and the following year I led the team in scoring and steals. At some point either in my junior or senior year, I made a point of mentioning my good play to the coach--a polite dig at the coach who'd stupidly cut me. His response was this: "Oh, you've improved tremendously!" I scoffed. I hadn't improved--he had just made a stupid decision. I have a lot of respect for coaches--my Dad was one in high school--and they are typically good people and often positively influence young lives, but they are far from infallible. Quite the opposite, really: They make dumb decisions quite frequently.

I came to Tennessee on a scholarship and was a junior starter in another sport. The next year a transfer was brought in who competed with me for my position. We had scrimmages in which stats were kept, and then started the season with some out of conference games--I starting in most, but the transfer guy getting a couple of starts. Early on, I went to the coach and explained to him that I had better hitting stats, was a better defensive player--and urged him, in so many words, not to make a foolish decision. I simply made my case. And he was convinced: I was the starter for the rest of the season. Moral of the story: If you, a player, feel you are not getting fair treatment by a feckless coach, don't be afraid to go in and speak your mind--firmly. And feel free to bring your Dad with you, if it might help! But only do so if you--in your mind--have a strong and valid case to make. A fair number of players sign with big programs and simply aren't good enough. You have to know what your talent level is.

That said, it's different nowadays. Kids compete, play or don't play, have a year-end talk with the coaches--and if things aren't going well they transfer. They don't wait to see if next year will be better--and in some/many cases it's understandable. It is hard to transfer--to move, to change schools, to end friendships and have to make new ones--but it goes without saying that a lot of players are doing it nowadays. And if leads to getting on the field and playing, well, one hopes that the change is worth it. I do want to see our young talent on the soccer field this season.
Good points and enjoyed your story. Definitely a challenging journey for every athlete. I was lucky, my competion was just a simple clock. No politics in that . Thanks for the input.

VN Store

Back