2 penalties in 2 games

CroKev

The Oldest Sport
Well, we finally committed a penalty in game 2 (actually 2 of them but I think one was a bad call). 2 penalties in 2 games and our turnover ration is 11-2 in both games. I'm not that optimistic about a win at Oregon but so far I've seen a very disciplined team that swarms to the ball. I think Oregon is the best team in college fb after watching them against UVA. I think it's close in the first half but, man, we need some depth...

I don't remember what he had but CBJ says close to the generals words and harps on them . I hope we just become disciplined. That's what we've lost: discipline.

If we can have a foundation again like our old teams we can grow into the future; it not, we are destined into a downward spiral.

Last edited:
I agree, but what impressed me most was the off-sides when our offensive line snapped the ball and didn't move a muscle, I mean not one of them even flinched. I have been watching football since I was 8, 47 years now and I have never seen that before.

That's discipline and to me that's a sign that the future will be bright.

Reactions: 6 people
Butch and the team have had an excellent start but we'll see more penalties as the season goes on, it's only natural. They will however be limited because Butch gets it.

I agree, but what impressed me most was the off-sides when our offensive line snapped the ball and didn't move a muscle, I mean not one of them even flinched. I have been watching football since I was 8, 47 years now and I have never seen that before.

That's discipline and to me that's a sign that the future will be bright.

This

The discipline is incredible and will go a LONG ways. The US military is the most feared in the world because of the discipline.

I don't remember what he had but CBJ says close to the generals words and harps on them . I hope we just become disciplined. That's what we've lost: discipline.

If we can have a foundation again like our old teams we can grow into the future; it not, we are destined into a downward spiral.

After watching the season preview Team 117 video, I am refreshed that we have a coach that embraces Neyland's 7 maxims. People seem to think that the maxims are 'conservative' or 'out dated' football. Read them again. Exactly what part of the maxims doesn't apply today?

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE.

3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.

4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

Reactions: 4 people
After watching the season preview Team 117 video, I am refreshed that we have a coach that embraces Neyland's 7 maxims. People seem to think that the maxims are 'conservative' or 'out dated' football. Read them again. Exactly what part of the maxims doesn't apply today?

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE.

3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.

4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

Exactly!

The personal foul penalty was bogus if you ask me. I will say 1 penalty thank you!

The discipline is incredible and will go a LONG ways. The US military is the most feared in the world because of the discipline.

Spending nearly as much on defense as the rest of the world combined helps too. :)

But I agree with your point, I've been ecstatic with the discipline.

We should be able to penalize people for bad threads (I don't consider this a bad thread)

Most good players can play with discipline when they have a coach willing to teach it. It's always a good first step in any battle not to shoot yourself in the foot.

Watching the replay of the game I'm counting 3 penalties. Corey Miller's late hit, Couch off sides and Tiny was called for holding in the 3rd quarter on the play before Worley's interceptions. What am I missing? The box score on ESPN.com also shows only 2.

VN Store

Back