2 Vols make Todd McShay's top 32 prospects for 2014

YankeeVol

Raised a Yank, Born a Vol
16: Antonio Richardson*
OT
6-6

Analysis: Richardson is a massive left tackle who forced 2012 third-round pick Dallas Thomas (Miami Dolphins) inside to guard last season. Richardson is still developing his footwork and hand placement but has the size, natural mobility and strength potential to emerge as a first-round pick in 2014.

23: Daniel McCullers
DT
6-8

Analysis: McCullers is a monster of a man. He is unpolished in terms of technique and must keep his weight in check, but you just don't find many 6-foot-8, 380-pounders. He played nose tackle last season but will transition to defensive tackle in the Vols' new 4-3 scheme this season.

Ten more to monitor
• DE Morgan Breslin, USC
• DE Scott Crichton*, Oregon State
• WR Brandon Coleman, Rutgers
• QB David Fales, San Jose State
• OLB A.J. Johnson*, Tennessee
• OLB Christian Jones, Florida State
• OLB Trent Murphy, Stanford
• RB Lache Seastrunk*, Baylor
• TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins*, Washington
• DE Will Sutton, Arizona State

I think AJ would be a first round talent after his senior year, hopefully he will also see that. Not many LB can make it to the first round in there junior season.

Reactions: 1 person
Juwuan James should be on the list to watch too. I see him as a potential first rounder and a solid second round pick next year. We are likely to have.3 OL in the first 4 rounds and potentially 3DL and 1 LB get drafted next year.

I hope that this prediction ends up being accurate because that means UT will have had a great season. I think it is possible that Richardson goes in the first round regardless of UT's wins and losses but if McCullers is a first rounder then he will have had a great year at DT, which should mean the defense was much improved. Similarly, if A.J. is clearly a second rounder then he had yet another really productive year and has demonstrated he has the speed to play NFL football at a high level. This would be great for UT, although the best would be for all three to be potential first rounders and all but McCullers (because he is a senior) come back to compete for the SEC east title.

I'm guessing McShay has not seen Big Dan since he has been at UT. His weight has been in check for awhile, he doesn't look as heavy as the number suggests. Just big, strong and thick. Plus I don't think he is at 380 now and wasn't all last season.

Tiny will be a wealthy wealthy man. I think he will be a top 10 pick.
He will also go down as one of the great ironies of the Dooley era.
While DD managed to out recruit darn near every SEC team to get him, in solid Dooley fashion the only meaningful minutes TR played as a freshman were at FB.

I would've guessed Maggitt would be more of a prospect than AJ Johnson.Not saying I am surprised Johnson is on there at all.

Last edited:
While DD managed to out recruit darn near every SEC team to get him, in solid Dooley fashion the only meaningful minutes TR played as a freshman were at FB.

I would've guessed Maggitt would be more of a prospect than AJ Johnson.Not saying I am surprised Johnson is on there at all.

I think the ACL injury has a lot to do with it on Maggitt. If he comes back the same or better his stock will soar too.

Not to mention that Tiny kept the 2014 top draft pick in check for 99% of the game with USCe...

Reactions: 2 people

I think Maggit will stay for SR. season and then will be ready to go.

I haven't looked at any mock drafts, but where do people have Ja'Wuan James going in the draft? I feel like he could be pretty high up there

Tiny has a huge upside and will be a much better, more polished Tackle this year. Last year he was just a pup. This year he will be dominant.
:rock2:

I'm guessing McShay has not seen Big Dan since he has been at UT. His weight has been in check for awhile, he doesn't look as heavy as the number suggests. Just big, strong and thick. Plus I don't think he is at 380 now and wasn't all last season.

I think he was more like 350 or 360 last season.

VN Store

Back