2010 Vols or 2013 Vols? Which would you take?

TNHopeful505

So, we're playing Oregon for the second time in the past 3 years. Obviously, we know what they bring to the table. But, would you take the 2010 team or 2013?

At QB, would you rather have Worley or Matt Simms?

At RB, would you rather have Poole/Oku or Neal/Lane?

At WR, would you rather have Gerald Jones/Moore or North/Howard?

At TE, would you rather have Downs or Stocker?

The OL is pretty much the same, since they started so early.

At DL, would you rather have McCullers/Couch, or Montori Hughes/Ben Martin?

At LB, would you rather have LaMarcus Thompson/Reveiz/Lathers/Austin Johnson or A.J. Johnson/Maggitt/Sapp/Brewer?

At DB, would you rather have Janzen/PWagg/Eric Gordon or Randolph/Coleman/Sutton?

Obviously, the 2010 team didn't fare too well against Oregon. But I ask these questions to get you to see that we do have talent on this team, and in some areas, we have better talent.

In my opinion, Worley is if not equal to, slightly below Matt Simms. Neal and Lane are a better one-two punch than Poole and Oku were. Our receivers are not better than GJones and DMo, but they are solid receivers that in time may be. Our OL is much much more experienced, and have added players like Tiny and Alex Bullard and James Stone since then. Downs is not Luke Stocker, but he is still young, and thus far this season, has proven to be a good receiving TE.

Our DL has not reached its potential. Hughes was a dominant DT, and Ben Martin played well when healthy. The DL has a lot of potential, and can be disruptive. Our LBs as a group were better in '10 in my opinion, though A.J. and Curt are two of the best we've had in a while. And our DB's are DEFINITELY better than they were in '10.

So, we may get blown out at Oregon, but here's what I know: The 2010 team had the talent and ability to hang with Oregon (complete with LaMichael James, Kenjon Barner, and Darron Thomas) for a half, and I am convinced it was coaching and mental weakness that caused them to lose the second half in the way they did, as it happened frequently in Dooley's tenure.

I think that this team has the intangibles (leadership, effort, intensity, passion) that the other team did not, and it has a coach that will not allow that mental failure like Dooley did.

I hope that we can be sitting here this time next week talking about how amazing and how relentless our team played. Even better yet, I hope that we can be sitting here this time next week talking about how we walked into the #2 team in the country's house, and smacked them in the mouth!

Just trying to put things in perspective. What say you VN? Have you given up hope, or do you think we could actually win if we play disciplined, efficient football for 60 minutes?

doesn't matter. this is 2013 and we don't have a time machine.

The point of the post was not to get you to pick a team or player, or go back in time.

The point of the post was to get people to realize that the team we have now, is in many ways better than the team that took the field 3 years ago, and that, if we present a good mental disposition, we could actually hang with Oregon.

The point of the post was not to get you to pick a team or player, or go back in time.

The point of the post was to get people to realize that the team we have now, is in many ways better than the team that took the field 3 years ago, and that, if we present a good mental disposition, we could actually hang with Oregon.

I was just giving you a hard time. Lots of vol crazies on here tonight. I've quit reading posts after the creation of 50+ Worley sucks/start Dobbs/Ferguson/World's ending threads tonight.

I'll tell ya this, I'd much rather have this coaching staff.

My point exactly. I think if you did have a time machine, and you went back and put Coach Jones at the head of that 2010 team, you wouldn't have the complete collapse you had in that game.

I remember being so excited going into that rain delay, and then us coming out of that, and never being the same. I don't think that will happen this year.

I was just giving you a hard time. Lots of vol crazies on here tonight. I've quit reading posts after the creation of 50+ Worley sucks/start Dobbs/Ferguson/World's ending threads tonight.

I didn't feel like Worley sucked at all today. I really wish people would get a grip. We can still have an efficient offense without a QB who throws 3 TDs and 300 yards a game. We don't need him to be a star. We need him to simply make smart plays and command the offense. I haven't seen too many dumb plays by Worley yet. He's done a pretty good job decision making.

If we were to win by some miracle - where does it rank all time?

It would be way up there.

Long term the WRs could be equal.

Defnitely Stocker > Downs.

Stocker was definitely one of the best we've had in a while. I will be interested to see how Daniel Helm compares when he gets on campus.

But yes, I agree. I think next year, our WR crew is going to be amazing. With the talent on campus, to the recruits coming in, it will be quite excellent.

Good things are already here, but good things are just going to keep coming here at UT.

If we were to win by some miracle - where does it rank all time?

It would be way up there.

It would be a good win, but it really wouldn't or couldn't be placed until after the season.

If they tanked the rest of the season, it wouldn't mean too much. If they went undefeated except for us, then it would be huge. The latter would be the more than likely case if it happened.

I'd still rather have a win over Alabama any day.

VN Store

Back