2015 VolNation Entry #3: Appreciating Dewey "Swamp Rat" Warren

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee Saturday night."
Staff member
There is a thread in the football forum asking about the top ten quarterbacks in Tennessee history. I had my usual top five that I've had for years with Manning, Clausen, Robinson, Shuler, and Martin. A pretty common top five among Volunteer fans. When I was getting around the eight spot I was going to stick Dewey Warren there, talk about he was the first true UT passer, and move along. But I did a some digging and realized how good Dewey Warren actually was.

Before coach Doug Dickey took over, Tennessee was a single wing offense. For our younger audience, think the spread option that Arizona and Auburn run, only if you never throw the ball. To put in perspective how little Tennessee threw the ball back before Doug Dickey in 1964, Johnny Majors had the single season pass completion record with 36 total completions. If you look at the true pocket passing quarterback you think of today, Dewey Warren was the first at Tennessee.

Warren took over late in 1965. He led a huge upset against West Coast power and top ten UCLA in Memphis. He actually outplayed the 1965 Heisman winner Gary Beban, throwing for two scores and 274 yards. He also had the play of the year. On fourth down at the one, Warren called (yes, the backup quarterback called his own plays back then) a play action rollout. Nobody was open, but there was a ton of green in front of him. Yet ol' Swamp Rat wasn't exactly know for his quick feat. Center Bob Johnson said that "the play opened up like the Red Sea but I thought Dewey would never get there." He actually did, beating UCLA to the edge to score the winning touchdown. Tennessee went on to defeat Tulsa in the Bluebonnet Bowl, leading Tennessee to its first bowl win in eight years. Not bad for a kid who forgot his helmet on his first varsity play. The Swamp Rat went into 1966 as the full-time starter and leader of Tennessee's offense. He didn't disappoint.

The raw numbers aren't that impressive compared to what they are now. Warren threw for 1,716 yards, had 18 touchdowns to only 7 interceptions, and completed 59.4% of his passes. He set every single passing record at Tennessee at the time, and also become the first Vol to throw for 1,000 yards. But if you compare the numbers of his peers that year, you realize that Warren was leading a revolution at Tennessee. Here's how he did compared to the rest of the country that season.

Among 66 qualified quarterbacks:

Yards: 13th
Touchdowns: 5th
Interceptions: 3rd
Attempts: 20th
Completion percentage: 5th
Yards Per Attempt: 10th
Quarterback Rating: 1st

That's right. Dewey Warren actually had a higher quarterback rating than 1966 Heisman winner Steve Spurrier and NFL Hall of Famer Bob Griese. When you consider the numbers and remember how tough the SEC was back in the 1960's, you are talking about one of the five best quarterbacks in the country that year. The Vols went 8-3 and lost two games against top ten teams in rivals Georgia Tech and Alabama. They also ended up winning the Gator Bowl against Syracuse. If you take away Peyton Manning, you can make the case Dewey Warren had the best quarterback season in Tennessee history.

Warren battled injuries throughout 1967 and even missed the Alabama game (where Bubba Wyche, brother of former Cincinnati Bengals head coach Sam Wyche, led the Volunteers to victory) but it was still an impressive year Dewey Warren, who finished 8th in the Heisman voting that year. Had Warren threw enough attempts to qualify, he still would have finished in the top ten in quarterback rating, sixth in completion percentage, and eight in yards per attempt. It was also a big year for the Volunteers, with the program officially being brought out of its moribund state. Warren helped lead Tennessee to its first SEC title in ten years and also helped Doug Dickey revitalize Tennessee football into a national power. His overall record as a starting quarterback was 19-6, along with winning two bowl games (when bowl games were much more exclusive), an SEC title, a claim to a national title, and he set every passing record at Tennessee. Not a bad career for a guy who started his career at linebacker.

Dewey Warren wasn't just an innovator on the playing field. He was a coach ahead of hisvtime. Dewey Warren helped start the passing offense that made head coach LaVell Edwards and BYU famous. In his two years as offensive coordinator at BYU, they set passing records and helped bring the West Coast offense to BYU. Bill Walsh (credited with inventing the West Coast offense) even took a trip to Provo, Utah to visit Warren and borrow ideas. LaVell Edwards gives a ton of credit to his success to what Dewey Warren started. Warren took a job at Kansas State, but he ended up being unemployed after the unexpected firing of its head coach Vince Gibson. Warren was desperate for a job to support his familly and came back home to Tennessee to coach at Copper Basin High School. Had Dewey Warren stayed at BYU, he could have become a known innovator to college football. He also was the head baseball coach and offensive coordinator at Sewanee College for four years.

As a young Tennessee Volunteer fan (I'm 22 years old), it was awesome to spend a couple hours studying one of the great, underappreciated Volunteers in this program's rich history. Yes, Peyton Manning deserved to have that #16 retired, but we should also truly appreciate the original #16 at quarterback as well. Dewey Warren was an elite passer, but what really set him apart was his toughness and relentless attitude. Former Line Coach at Tennessee Ray Trail recalled this about Dewey Warren: "Dewey couldn't run. He wasn't tall enough to see over the line. But he was tough. And he could throw the football pretty well. That's about all he could do. No, that's not right. He was a fearless competitor, a good leader, and the subject of many a tall tale."

'tis strange that you should initiate this thread, given the fact that I have been working on a parallel research track for a thread that will examine, in length, the pioneering roles that Doug Dickey and Dewey Warren played in navigating Tennessee's football program through the transition from the single-wing to a more modern T-formation-based offense. We are, in essence, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the modern era of Tennessee football, for 1965 was, indeed, a transformative year. Dewey's 588 yards passing in 1965 eclipsed the single-season passing record held previously by Johnny Majors. The big difference is that Dewey did so in only four games as a starter. And almost half of that yardage came in the great "Rosebonnet Bowl" shootout vs. UCLA. Incidentally, did you know that Dewey scored the winning touchdown in that game with not one, but two, pulled groin muscles?

Dewey's 1966 season remains the only time, thus far, that a Tennessee quarterback led the nation in passing efficiency. His single-season passing yardage record was not eclipsed until Alan Cockrell passed for 2021 yards in 1982. And his single-season record for touchdown passes (18) was not broken until Heath Shuler threw 25 td passes twenty-seven years later.

great stuff guys.. would like to see yall do one on beattie feathers, i think he ran for a 1000 yards in the nfl when nobody used to come close to that, a truly phenomenal player

Reactions: krichunaka
There is a thread in the football forum asking about the top ten quarterbacks in Tennessee history. I had my usual top five that I've had for years with Manning, Clausen, Robinson, Shuler, and Martin. A pretty common top five among Volunteer fans. When I was getting around the eight spot I was going to stick Dewey Warren there, talk about he was the first true UT passer, and move along. But I did a some digging and realized how good Dewey Warren actually was.

As a young Tennessee Volunteer fan (I'm 22 years old)

You need a hobby.

Might I suggest ritual chicken sacrifice?

Thanks for posting that. Always nice hearing good things about your uncle. He still loves to talk Tennessee football and is a great golfer. Getting really close to shooting his age.

Dewey is on The Sports Source this morning along with 5 other VFLs.

Saw this today.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJvCOQLlC9k[/youtube]

Before coach Doug Dickey took over, Tennessee was a single wing offense. For our younger audience, think the spread option that Arizona and Auburn run, only if you never throw the ball. To put in perspective how little Tennessee threw the ball back before Doug Dickey in 1964, Johnny Majors had the single season pass completion record with 36 total completions. If you look at the true pocket passing quarterback you think of today, Dewey Warren was the first at Tennessee.

Warren took over late in 1965. He led a huge upset against West Coast power and top ten UCLA in Memphis. He actually outplayed the 1965 Heisman winner Gary Beban, throwing for two scores and 274 yards. He also had the play of the year. On fourth down at the one, Warren called (yes, the backup quarterback called his own plays back then) a play action rollout. Nobody was open, but there was a ton of green in front of him. Yet ol' Swamp Rat wasn't exactly know for his quick feat. Center Bob Johnson said that "the play opened up like the Red Sea but I thought Dewey would never get there." He actually did, beating UCLA to the edge to score the winning touchdown. Tennessee went on to defeat Tulsa in the Bluebonnet Bowl, leading Tennessee to its first bowl win in eight years. Not bad for a kid who forgot his helmet on his first varsity play. The Swamp Rat went into 1966 as the full-time starter and leader of Tennessee's offense. He didn't disappoint.

The raw numbers aren't that impressive compared to what they are now. Warren threw for 1,716 yards, had 18 touchdowns to only 7 interceptions, and completed 59.4% of his passes. He set every single passing record at Tennessee at the time, and also become the first Vol to throw for 1,000 yards. But if you compare the numbers of his peers that year, you realize that Warren was leading a revolution at Tennessee. Here's how he did compared to the rest of the country that season.

Among 66 qualified quarterbacks:

Yards: 13th
Touchdowns: 5th
Interceptions: 3rd
Attempts: 20th
Completion percentage: 5th
Yards Per Attempt: 10th
Quarterback Rating: 1st

That's right. Dewey Warren actually had a higher quarterback rating than 1966 Heisman winner Steve Spurrier and NFL Hall of Famer Bob Griese. When you consider the numbers and remember how tough the SEC was back in the 1960's, you are talking about one of the five best quarterbacks in the country that year. The Vols went 8-3 and lost two games against top ten teams in rivals Georgia Tech and Alabama. They also ended up winning the Gator Bowl against Syracuse. If you take away Peyton Manning, you can make the case Dewey Warren had the best quarterback season in Tennessee history.

Warren battled injuries throughout 1967 and even missed the Alabama game (where Bubba Wyche, brother of former Cincinnati Bengals head coach Sam Wyche, led the Volunteers to victory) but it was still an impressive year Dewey Warren, who finished 8th in the Heisman voting that year. Had Warren threw enough attempts to qualify, he still would have finished in the top ten in quarterback rating, sixth in completion percentage, and eight in yards per attempt. It was also a big year for the Volunteers, with the program officially being brought out of its moribund state. Warren helped lead Tennessee to its first SEC title in ten years and also helped Doug Dickey revitalize Tennessee football into a national power. His overall record as a starting quarterback was 19-6, along with winning two bowl games (when bowl games were much more exclusive), an SEC title, a claim to a national title, and he set every passing record at Tennessee. Not a bad career for a guy who started his career at linebacker.

Dewey Warren wasn't just an innovator on the playing field. He was a coach ahead of hisvtime. Dewey Warren helped start the passing offense that made head coach LaVell Edwards and BYU famous. In his two years as offensive coordinator at BYU, they set passing records and helped bring the West Coast offense to BYU. Bill Walsh (credited with inventing the West Coast offense) even took a trip to Provo, Utah to visit Warren and borrow ideas. LaVell Edwards gives a ton of credit to his success to what Dewey Warren started. Warren took a job at Kansas State, but he ended up being unemployed after the unexpected firing of its head coach Vince Gibson. Warren was desperate for a job to support his familly and came back home to Tennessee to coach at Copper Basin High School. Had Dewey Warren stayed at BYU, he could have become a known innovator to college football. He also was the head baseball coach and offensive coordinator at Sewanee College for four years.

As a young Tennessee Volunteer fan (I'm 22 years old), it was awesome to spend a couple hours studying one of the great, underappreciated Volunteers in this program's rich history. Yes, Peyton Manning deserved to have that #16 retired, but we should also truly appreciate the original #16 at quarterback as well. Dewey Warren was an elite passer, but what really set him apart was his toughness and relentless attitude. Former Line Coach at Tennessee Ray Trail recalled this about Dewey Warren: "Dewey couldn't run. He wasn't tall enough to see over the line. But he was tough. And he could throw the football pretty well. That's about all he could do. No, that's not right. He was a fearless competitor, a good leader, and the subject of many a tall tale."
I'm a big Dewey Warren fan and happy to see this. But if you do not have Condredge Holloway in the top 5 QBs at UT, you have no credibility with me concerning the subject.

I encourage everyone to get in your time machine, go back and read this. Especially you younger guys. Dewey is one of my all time favorite Vols. Great post @zjcvols.

Reactions: peaygolf
Manning, Shuler, Hooker, Holloway, Martin would be my top 5. Dobbs, Scott, Warren, Kelly & Clausen would round out the top 10.

Dewey Warren coached at BYU after his playing days and helped put together one of the greatest NCAA passing offenses of that era. Dewey had a strong arm and he was a winner. Helped bring Tennessee back to prominence on the national stage.

I never saw Dewey at Tennessee but when the Cincinnati Bengals broke into the NFL, their first season, they had both Dewey Warren and center Bob Johnson on the team. I did get to see Dewey play for the Bengals back around 1968 as Dad took me to my first and only NFL game in Cincinnati. I remember a double reverse with a flea flicker back to the QB and then a long pass down field that was caught ..... Blew my young 9 year old mind away. Awesome memory!

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I encourage everyone to get in your time machine, go back and read this. Especially you younger guys. Dewey is one of my all time favorite Vols. Great post @zjcvols.

I totally and utterly forgot I wrote this. This was such a blast. And there’s a part 2!

Funny enough, I ended up working with his wife Kay for a year. She mentioned her husband played football at UT in the 60’s…and I immediately said “Warren…wait Swamp Rat is your husband??” and she was tickled to death I knew who he was (I was 29 so she was impressed I knew someone from that far ago).

I really wish I remembered I wrote this so I could have sent this to her before i took a new job. She was so sweet. She mentioned me to him and told him what a massive Braves fan I was. Dewey is a Braves fan and when they had a bad game would tell Kay “Tell Zack I hope he wasn’t too mad at the game!”

I totally and utterly forgot I wrote this. This was such a blast. And there’s a part 2!

Funny enough, I ended up working with his wife Kay for a year. She mentioned her husband played football at UT in the 60’s…and I immediately said “Warren…wait Swamp Rat is your husband??” and she was tickled to death I knew who he was (I was 29 so she was impressed I knew someone from that far ago).

I really wish I remembered I wrote this so I could have sent this to her before i took a new job. She was so sweet. She mentioned me to him and told him what a massive Braves fan I was. Dewey is a Braves fan and when they had a bad game would tell Kay “Tell Zack I hope he wasn’t too mad at the game!”
I got to see him play in the 1966 Tennessee Alabama game in Knoxville. The Vols lost 11-10 in a helluva game. We missed a short field goal as time ran out. I heard Dewey on a talk show in Chattanooga several years ago and he swears the kick was good. He was the holder.

You can see in this highlights of the game clip that Dewey turns and immediately confronts the official who made the call. The referee behind the kicker made the call in those days.

1966 tennessee vs alabama football

Last edited:
I heard the name Swamp Rat all my life. My father would talk about his and his qb skills. It was the Mizz game last year (when we still had Hooker) and I saw the girl in front of me post "the rat is in the house". I built up the courage to ask her "is that Dewey Warren next to you?". She said "yes, you want a pic with him?" I was in awe. I got the nerve to speak to him, telling him about my dad talking about him. I asked who is the better QB - PM or Hendon. Without hesitation his answer was Peyton. He said PM was a student of the game and Hooker is a situational QB who was in the right place. The last thing I was gonna do was have a debate with the guy that came in 4th in the Heisman voting as well as helped LaVar Edwards create the west coast offense. He automatically wins
I shed some tears. Dad passed away earlier last year and this was one of those times I really, really needed to talk to him on the phone.

I heard the name Swamp Rat all my life. My father would talk about his and his qb skills. It was the Mizz game last year (when we still had Hooker) and I saw the girl in front of me post "the rat is in the house". I built up the courage to ask her "is that Dewey Warren next to you?". She said "yes, you want a pic with him?" I was in awe. I got the nerve to speak to him, telling him about my dad talking about him. I asked who is the better QB - PM or Hendon. Without hesitation his answer was Peyton. He said PM was a student of the game and Hooker is a situational QB who was in the right place. The last thing I was gonna do was have a debate with the guy that came in 4th in the Heisman voting as well as helped LaVar Edwards create the west coast offense. He automatically wins
I shed some tears. Dad passed away earlier last year and this was one of those times I really, really needed to talk to him on the phone.
Condolences for your loss.

"One of the first things Edwards did after taking over was hire 25-year old passing guru Dewey Warren to help design a passing offense. Warren, known as the “Swamp Rat,” had graduated from the University of Tennessee just four years earlier, where he quarterbacked the Volunteers to three bowl games in four years."

From The Daily Universe. Publication of Brigham Young University.

Reactions: krichunaka
I've always been a big fan of Dewey Warren as a kid it's when I began to be old enough to pay attention to the players at the various positions for the Vols. But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Condredge Holloway as worthy of being on anybody's top five Vol QBs all time list. If you ever saw him play you'd know why.

VN Store

Back