2024 recruiting class

DarkVolder

Come on over to the dark side
With the portal and NIL shaking everything up. How many of these recruits do you think will still be on our roster this time next year? The portal will giveth and taketh away as we all know it’s the awful reality of current college football.

With the portal and NIL shaking everything up. How many of these recruits do you think will still be on our roster this time next year? The portal will giveth and taketh away as we all know it’s the awful reality of current college football.
I think there are many in the portal because they know they are going to be replaced or not play as much next year. I think some of our departures are because they know they won't be starting next year. Of course there are also some that are just after more nil money that are very good players. But I do agree also the portal gives and also takes away.

All of our good players will transfer. We will be stuck with walk ons and 2 and 3* players. After we go winless in conference play, we will be lucky to out recruit Southern Basket Weaving University.

There is no cap like nfl but there is a budget. I like spending money on hs recruits and spend where you need to bring in portals. To me JH has to retain critical pieces with nil. Just part of reality that players for all teams will bolt for more $ and maybe more PT. I think JH managing pretty well and prefer his model to Kiffin, for example. Over a period of time I think places like OM and maybe FL St may have a tougher time with HS recruiting (which is really where you build your team for the long run)…

Reactions: DarkVolder
There are always players who are recruited and don't make the grade. This happens on every team. If it didn't, they would reduce the numbers of recruits to something like 18-20 per year. It is the natural process and is expected. It is just easier to cull out those who who are trouble makers and those who can't cut it.

There are always players who are recruited and don't make the grade. This happens on every team. If it didn't, they would reduce the numbers of recruits to something like 18-20 per year. It is the natural process and is expected. It is just easier to cull out those who who are trouble makers and those who can't cut it.
Exactly right. Natural selection. And every recruit should consider this as inspiration to grow and excel in order to make his mark.

Last edited:
Some will. But the reasons are a lot more diverse than many think. Some just won't like the pressure of high expectations... and a lot of that comes from being a 4/5* that needs some development before playing. When some like a few unnamed folks here start asking why a kid is a bust if he doesn't start as a Fr... some guys will look for a better spot. Some will realize they don't fit the coaches or their teammates.

Some will of course see the talent around them, get honest feedback from the coaches, and move on. But that's not the only reason they leave... or come.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
What is sickening about all the portal movement is that, if you look at the
portal comittments, Georgia and Alabama replace their departees with 4 and 5*s while
the rest of us replace with 3 and 4 *.

Best we can hope for is to replace our departees with a better player in order
to gradually have a stronger team across the board.

The prospect of losing talent in the portal doesn’t bother me much. Better teams will get better transfers and lose the lesser ones. Some WILL leave for $ and that could hurt - but again, more prolific programs should be able to keep most of their talented, starting players. I see us having the scale in our favor more often than not. Our biggest concern, IMO, is coaching up the talent we have to their highest potential.

VN Store

Back