2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Idk, but I think the narrative around Caitlin Clark who me and my people loathe only makes the rest of the W seem more impressive. For example, I want to watch more Suns game now because Im
maybe in love with DiJonai Carrington.
So am I, matter of fact I purchased a Sun jersey for my grandson with her name and number.

Reactions: brittannica
Honest question for all the CC and/or AR haters out there of which apparently there are many (for the record, I'd love to see them both succeed)...

Scenario A - CC figures it out and performs well enough her rookie year to maintain the enthusiasm around her game. AR knocks her season out of the park, exceeds expectations, shuts down all the doubters who said her game wouldn't translate. The W has a record season regarding attendance and viewership and the outlook looks bright.

Scenario B - Clark continues to struggle on a team that's just not very good, AR and even Brink are continuously plagued by foul trouble, have mediocre stats, and at the end of the season all momentum this rookie class brought in is dead. Haters get to bask in the land of "I knew it! I knew they are over rated!! Just products of media hype!"

Which would people prefer? I swear people who supposedly like the W and want it to succeed also are thrilled to be able to say "I told you so!" If the rookies struggle, especially CC. To me this season is almost a turning point. No rookie class will ever produce more buzz that both CC AND AR...in the same class!! bring. Between those 2 players, there's something for almost everyone, and if their buzz can't even get the W out of the mud, I don't think anything can.

Reactions: VolFuture
Honest question for all the CC and/or AR haters out there of which apparently there are many (for the record, I'd love to see them both succeed)...

Scenario A - CC figures it out and performs well enough her rookie year to maintain the enthusiasm around her game. AR knocks her season out of the park, exceeds expectations, shuts down all the doubters who said her game wouldn't translate. The W has a record season regarding attendance and viewership and the outlook looks bright.

Scenario B - Clark continues to struggle on a team that's just not very good, AR and even Brink are continuously plagued by foul trouble, have mediocre stats, and at the end of the season all momentum this rookie class brought in is dead. Haters get to bask in the land of "I knew it! I knew they are over rated!! Just products of media hype!"

Which would people prefer? I swear people who supposedly like the W and want it to succeed also are thrilled to be able to say "I told you so!" If the rookies struggle, especially CC. To me this season is almost a turning point. No rookie class will ever produce more buzz that both CC AND AR...in the same class!! bring. Between those 2 players, there's something for almost everyone, and if their buzz can't even get the W out of the mud, I don't think anything can.
Duh. Scenario C - Rickea.

Also in the wishcast world, the constructive takeaway would be how crazy the CC narrative and bandwagoning got. CC was the greatest scorer and 3 pt shooter in college bball history, not the best player.

Last edited:
Duh. Scenario C - Rickea.

Also in the wishcast world, the constructive takeaway would be how crazy the CC narrative and bandwagoning got. CC was the greatest scorer and 3 pt shooter in college bball history, not the best player.
The fact u bring Rickea into everything is embarrassing. She’s not the best player either. She doesn’t have the fans draw or game to be in the same convo rn.

I’m sorry I love her and think she will be an EXCELLENT pro esp as she grows her obvious weaknesses (running plays, screening, dribbling, defense)

CC still had 20 in her opener and almost a triple double in her second. RJ hasn’t been close to that yet. She’s chasing Brink. Who is also excelling.

Reactions: VolBall09
The fact u bring Rickea into everything is embarrassing. She’s not the best player either. She doesn’t have the fans draw or game to be in the same convo rn.

I’m sorry I love her and think she will be an EXCELLENT pro esp as she grows her obvious weaknesses (running plays, screening, dribbling, defense)

CC still had 20 in her opener and almost a triple double in her second. RJ hasn’t been close to that yet. She’s chasing Brink. Who is also excelling.
Simmer down. It was a joke. Dark P will be here shortly to bring Angel into it. Relax, it's just fan babble. Didn't realize you were so invested in CC's success. Success which so far, if you're honest, has only been against W subs.

Simmer down. It was a joke. Dark P will be here shortly to bring Angel into it. Relax, it's just fan babble. Didn't realize you were so invested in CC's success. Success which so far, if you're honest, has only been against W subs.
I’m here for Angel Reese, just like Latto said lol. As for Rickea she just needs more time and a coach that will run plays for her. She did say she’s struggling learning everything in this short period of time so I’m sure things will get better.

These pundits. During Iowa's NCAA, Legler went on SVP to discuss how CC is "unguardable." He pulled out the telestrator to show how she shoots off balance shots but keeps her body in perfect alignment and has a super quick release and five other things "you can't teach" that make her an impossible defensive matchup.

Now, she is an unathletic, pedestrian player with no physical advantages.

She will have a game soon enough where she lights it up an "Legs" will be back duly inform everyone that CC is going to take over the WNBA.

She just needs to start making shots. Even during the tournament, her shooting % were down from her regular season numbers. Of course the comp is tougher in the tournament but I think some fatigue was setting in. Going straight from the end of the tourney to the pro season does not give much time for recovery.

To my eye, her game is most like Steve Nash's, an elite player who also carried the unathletic label but he was great at making off balance, off schedule plays either with his shot or a pass. CC would benefit from another elite shooter on the team to pass to. I think the pick and roll with Boston would be her bread and butter and maybe it will, if Boston finds her groove.

On Boston, I wonder if, months ago, when it became official that Indiana would get the first pick in the draft and everyone on our planet knew that pick would be Clark, if Aliyah didn’t just buy into the whole “Caitlin Clark is the Fever’s savior” fervor and then simply relaxed. TOO MUCH.

Last year she came into the season looking fit and ready to go right away, but this season she’s not as sharp and is playing with less confidence. Maybe Boston thought with Caitlin there she could chill out on some of the extra work since there wouldn’t be as much pressure on her to be the best player anymore.

Pretty sure there have been a few wake-up calls, but the W season is too short to not come in strong and fit.

Reactions: glv98
Yes bc she can be the one to finally make the league relevant

Yes bc she can be the one to finally make the league relevant
Agree to disagree. Exactly what we're finding out is no one player is going to do that, not with their game at least. Maybe with the publicity, but when the publicity is bigger than their game you wonder if it will all be short lived. And it's so unfair to expect that of any player, in this case Clark.

Rich get richer. This is like So Carolina getting an extra half mil in NIL money. Good for them tho. Esp nice for their two draftees who they took almost as an afterthought, one of them out of the draft night audience!

I really love that Dyaisha Fair made the roster. Syracuse had a tweet of her getting ready for the draft with her mother that made me ugly cry. 🥲

On Boston, I wonder if, months ago, when it became official that Indiana would get the first pick in the draft and everyone on our planet knew that pick would be Clark, if Aliyah didn’t just buy into the whole “Caitlin Clark is the Fever’s savior” fervor and then simply relaxed. TOO MUCH.

Last year she came into the season looking fit and ready to go right away, but this season she’s not as sharp and is playing with less confidence. Maybe Boston thought with Caitlin there she could chill out on some of the extra work since there wouldn’t be as much pressure on her to be the best player anymore.

Pretty sure there have been a few wake-up calls, but the W season is too short to not come in strong and fit.
I wonder if AB got too caught up in off season activities other than working out. She did broadcasting, etc. Good to maximize off season opportunities, but still gotta do the work. Whatever happened, she does not appear to be in top physical condition.

So much hate on here for Caitlin Clark .
Not sure what you're talking about. Almost everyone has said they feel bad for her and blame the ridiculous over hype for not giving her a chance to make normal rookie adjustments.
Man I just love watching Jordy in the league. Her growth has been so impressive!
Lock down defender, solid off ball option, doesn’t overplay, and KILLS the boards!

Has 6 on 3-6 and 10 rebounds 3 steals rn. Such a solid role player.
Ended up with 11 rebs, 3 steals and a block, played 36 mins in the double OT game. Should def start over Vivians, who only played 12 mins, unless they think she plays better off the bench. JH is getting starter mins, and should. Not having pressure to score is great for her.

The Storms problem is whatever is going on w Diggins and Loyd and their horrible shooting. They were a combined 12-43, even worse than the first game. So unusual for Loyd.

Man I love Naphessa Collier's game. What a baller.

Last edited:
Reactions: brittannica

VN Store

Back