'25 GA WR Travis Smith (Tennessee commit)

The Scout​

Volquest caught up with On3 Director of Scouting Charles Power to get his thoughts on No.59 overall prospect in the On300.

Travis Smith is a big, smooth-moving receiver and one who really kind of came on our radar, and I think largely college radars early on in his junior season,” Power said. “He had several big games against good competition and is one who just kind of continued to impress throughout his junior season. He has, I think for starters, very good size already 6-3, 200 pounds. He’s got 33-inch arms, so he’s kind of how you draw them up physically, just from like an outside big-bodied receiver and finished his junior year with close to 900 yards, and 10 touchdowns. Really like his ball skills, and his ability to win in contested catch situations. Had some highlight catches as a junior going up and kind of contorting his body and boxing out defenders in traffic. I think he showed a pretty big catch radius in terms of just coming down in those battling for 50-50 balls. Seeing him in person move around at the Under Armour camp in Atlanta in February, I thought he’s a fluid mover, a guy who I think projects as a good route runner at his size. He can change directions well and get in and out of his brakes. I think that’s a positive as well. I think the biggest area for him to continue to improve is just the long speed and his ability to separate.”

“Good get for Tennessee. I think he’s a guy who kind of fits in with what their staff likes at receiver. I think they like the big bodies and he’s a guy who I think, you know, kind of embodies a little bit of what, what they go for, you know, on the outside. So he’s a guy who obviously was coveted and you know, I think receiver is a position where Tennessee’s done well and, and you know, I think Travis Smith Jr. is certainly a, a really good get for the Vols.”

What this means for the wide receiver position​

Smith has been the top priority for Tennessee and receivers coach Kelsey Pope for months. Alabama and Georgia were very much in this recruitment, and do not be fooled by the talk of Smith not having the opportunity to play for either school. He had that opportunity for months, and if their pursuit faded in the days leading into his decision, a large part of this was because of Smith’s strong desire to ultimately end up in Knoxville. He is the type of pass-catcher that Tennessee covets on outside. He already measures in at 6-3, 200 pounds and is a real threat in the downfield passing game because of ball skills and natural leaping ability. Pairing Smith with another talented receiver with a high ceiling on the outside in Radarious Jackson and speedy slot receiver Joakim Dodson is a dream scenario for Tennessee in the 2025 class, in my opinion. Smith marks another signature win on the trail for Kelsey Pope as well.

-VQ

VN Store

Back