Lady Vol workouts this week.

Speaking of workouts, while I know the Lady Vols (most of them, anyway) have historically been high achievers in the classroom, and that means they are spending quite a bit of time studying, they're gonna need to find some extra time for workouts on their own. On top of that big chunk of time, there's a lot of time spent doing scheduled workouts as high-level athletes. Obviously NCAA rules put a limit on the time they can spend each week in organized, scheduled basketball-related activity.

So all this will likely make it extra tough for the new staff to have time to have the team running smoothly within an entirely different set of expectations and likely some new drills and skills than any of them have faced before.

Which brings me around to saying that I hope fifth-year player/leader Tess Darby will take on -- in all her spare time! lol -- responsibility of wrangling up team members as often as she can for them to get in reps, on their own, of any new stuff they encounter instead of only expecting the alotted official practice time periods to be enough.

This team is going to need to be extra. On their own. Extra conditioning. Extra running through schemes together over and over and over until they are committed to muscle memory. Extra, EXTRA free throw practice.

And last but not least, they ALL need to learn how to use some of their quiet time every day in visualizing themselves moving through the different sets, and making moves to get open shots, and making free throws. The mental game is every bit as important as the physical game, and while 100% of our roster may not be the do-everything-athletic-well Candace Parker types, they are ALL bright women, so that's definitely an aspect of the game that they should be able to be among the best, and why not THE best, in the country at doing.

But like I said, I do understand time is an issue for these kids with all they have going on. I just can't help thinking for them to have a strong start they're going to need SOMEhow to find some on their own as a team to be able to smooth out before mid-way into the season.

VN Store

Back