Who here remembers

eVOLUTion16

Doug Roth catching a pass at the free throw line possibly after the opening tipoff. Doug looking hesitant as the defender backed off, the whole of TBA including the opposing bench screaming shoot it. Doug heaving it up and in at the request. Doug then flipping off the opposing team’s bench as he ran back down the court, getting T’d up. I was at the game, but only a wee Vol, like 6 or 7 at the time. It still makes me laugh when it randomly pops in my head. Was it against Schintzius and the gators? Someone help jog my memory.

It was late in the game against LSU. Student section was killing Doug Roth and he hit a 3 and promptly ran down the court with his middle finger in the air and got ejected. Tennessee basketball was so bad back then that it was probably one of the highlights of the season.

Last edited:
Doug had a glass eye, and the LSU fans were chanting at him about it. There was one other agitating circumstance—

He had a tiny cheerleader girlfriend that he’d lift up onto the bar at the Lap so he could talk to her at (one) eye level. She was a character and would lead people in chants and songs. She had a very funny limerick about Bama fans. That night at the LSU game, she was ready to run up into the stands over those bad swamp fans. Finally Doug had enough… Good ole days.

It was late in the game against LSU. Student section was killing Doug Roth and he hit a 3 and promptly ran down the court with his middle finger in the air and got ejected. Tennessee basketball was so bad back then that it was probably one of the highlights of the season.
Thank you. I clearly didn’t remember the details correctly, but I do remember how bad we were. I can remember nights at TBA when you could hear conversations on the other side of the court, there were so few people in attendance.

They weren't that bad. That was 1985 or so.

Wasn't it on the road

Whatever happened to him? He has a Wiki page, but it only covers his playing career.

I remember a friend calling him Doug Sloth.

It was February 11th 1989. Chris Jackson had 50 against us that game and we lost 122-106. We'd won 100-96 at TBA a few weeks prior.

Reactions: Volfan1000
You may have caught BTO’s basketberger syndrome. You are correct. I mixed up the years because I was living in DC both years, but flying back weekly. I was at the first game at TBA. He played at both Stokely and TBA. That was the salient point.
The bird flip game was in Baton Rouge.

Doug had a glass eye, and the LSU fans were chanting at him about it. There was one other agitating circumstance—

He had a tiny cheerleader girlfriend that he’d lift up onto the bar at the Lap so he could talk to her at (one) eye level. She was a character and would lead people in chants and songs. She had a very funny limerick about Bama fans. That night at the LSU game, she was ready to run up into the stands over those bad swamp fans. Finally Doug had enough… Good ole days.
I saw Doug and his tiny, hot girlfriend at the Terrace Tap House off Kingston Pike/ Homberg Place. First and last time I ever saw "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". Overrated, I fell asleep watching it, even with people yelling and acting out the scenes. Well, I was a teenager and drunk, so maybe it was passing out instead of falling asleep. But still, the movie sucked, imo. If I wouldn't have seen Roth and his girlfriend, I doubt I would even remember any of that. I know, "cool story, bro"

You may have caught BTO’s basketberger syndrome. You are correct. I mixed up the years because I was living in DC both years, but flying back weekly. I was at the first game at TBA. He played at both Stokely and TBA. That was the salient point.
I was also at the first game at TBA, up in the 300's. IIrc, Clarence Swearagen dunked for the first basket at TBA and the Vols beat Marquette

VN Store

Back